Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Couture: The UFC's Ultimate Threat

Print  
Do You Think This Will Hurt The UFC?
Yes 27 71%
No 11 29%
Posted By Message

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
October 11, 2007
by Jake Rossen (jrossen@sherdog.com)

In an industry where every wet fart is plastered over Web pages before gas has even entered the bowels, the exodus of Randy Couture (Pictures) from the UFC was a shocking, sudden jolt of news.

And though it wasn't unprecedented -- the fighter did, after all, bolt the UFC over finances once before -- it comes at a time when the promotion is flush with success, media attention and profits. Dangling from the UFC's media-glazed trademark, Couture prospered both financially and professionally.

Click here for full article at Sherdog.com

Post #1   10/12/07 4:39:10AM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

With many apologies to Matt Serra (Pictures) and Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures), the biggest upset of 2007 didn't take place inside of the ring. It happened at the negotiating table.

Hahaha I am gonna take a guess that none of the sherdog staff or gonna comp tickets to ufc 77

Dana needs to put some insurance in when he markets fighters, such as being prepared to offer his fighters big money after he has made them into stars

Post #2   10/12/07 4:47:16AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,370-848
Chips:

In an industry where every move is plastered over Web pages before gas has even entered the bowels

LoL, what a professional, journalistic way to begin an article...

Last edited 10/12/07 10:01AM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/12/07 10:01:09AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think it could hurt the UFC in certain ways.I mean I think people will watch Couture no matter were he's fighting,but the UFC still has quality fights going on.It's not like the UFC has stopped it's watch just because Randy left.

I think it just comes down to the fact the biggest heavy weight fight in recent memory might not happen in the UFC.If Randy was to sign with M-1 and fight Fedor,that could be a very insulting blow to the UFC.I'm very interested to see how the UFC plans to present all this to the casual MMA fan.

On another note.I think it's amazing White is partialy blaming this on Randy Coutures Hollywood angent.That's ridiculous.He's making it sound as if his agent convinced him that he just wasn't making enough money in the UFC.
While his agent might have hinted at Randy he could be making more,I can only wonder why Chuck Liddell's people aren't telling him the same thing?
He's made plenty of appearances as of late in the entertainment world.Maybe it's because Liddell is making much more than Randy?

Post #4   10/12/07 3:32:28PM