Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor: The way it is

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Jujiden

MMA Regular

Jujiden Avatar

Career:263-145
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
Here's the rumor, and perhaps the truth by now: Fedor has signed with M-1 which has the backing of a rich American investor.

As a result the majority of sentiment from MMA diehards is Fedor copped out. That may be, but unitl he fights the best, he wil always "arguably" be the best ever. I stress "arguably" because that's the best he'll get in terms of debate.

However, if ANYONE wants to prove they are better than Fedor, they will have to go to Fedor and until then they can talk all they want, yet prove nothing.

If this American investor is as business savvy as he is then this was a smart move. Makes it easier for top names to leave the UFC and go to M-1, especiall to get a Fedor-sized notch in their belt.

Is it Mark Cuban? He's the best guess right now. And if it is you can bet he'll do everything he can to give the UFC competition which in the end will be good for all of us.

Any MMA diehard can at the very least appreciate that.

Last edited 10/11/07 12:45AM server time by jujiden
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/11/07 12:43:09AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I completely agree!!!!

Why must he suffer in the UFC? He wouldn't be able to participate in national sambo tournaments which he is one of the best in. Get less paid. And Brutally harrassed if he would lose? At least in M-1 in Russia he'll get the most respect from fans. be able to prove he is the best at sambo in national tournaments and get better paid. ANY FIGHTER WOULD TAKE THIS!!!!

I would love to see how the UFC wouldl fare if top names left just to fight Fedor..

Post #2   10/11/07 12:46:41AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
no UFC guys are going to leave to fight Fedor UFC has the top fighter and Fedor is not no top 10 if he dont wanna fight good people imo

M-1 has fedor good for them bad for fedor imo

Post #3   10/11/07 12:47:26AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by loonytnt

no UFC guys are going to leave to fight Fedor UFC has the top fighter and Fedor is not no top 10 if he dont wanna fight good people imo

M-1 has fedor good for them bad for fedor imo

AA, Tim, Nog, Cro Cop, Hunt, Barney, all of these guys want fedor. AA has 1 fight left, if tim loses he'll be on his way, Cro Cop could be bought, Hunt may not be in the UFC, Barney is F/A. Most fighters don't see Randy as #1 including Randy himself. The rumor i've heard on a website that has people in Cro Cop's circle, the UFC's circle and others are saying it may be 10 mil a fight. They will be able to buy whoever they want with that money, if it is Mark Cuban's the UFC might be packing their bags.

Post #4   10/11/07 12:54:50AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Chips:
if they only got a good HW what about the other div? there not going to get anyone from LW,WW,MW,LHW..i really dont see them getting any HW too. if they got money and they blow it on 10mil a fight and no1 buys there ppv or watches there shows there done and dana is going tell all the HW that leave ''go some where else''.

im not going watch M-1, fedor is not #1 imo and if he dont wanna fight top guys then thats him, but im not going watch M-1 to see fedor fight a nobody

Post #5   10/11/07 1:01:21AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
Lol if it's Cuban you'll end up watching M-1, he'll buy HBO and put it on there lol. Trust me this could be a great thing for MMA, they need some parody, Soko, Arona, and again there are plenty of free agents, and the UFC doesn't have lifetime contracts.

Post #6   10/11/07 1:08:42AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Chips:
imo this is going be a great thing but not for cuban (if he bought it) but i think UFC is going see that they need to do more and sign fighters and PAY MORE to them

UFC fighter will start getting payed and i think they will win on this

Post #7   10/11/07 1:14:22AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,009-1,021
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
yeah, good move for the owner of m-1, but the real competition for ufc is not an organization with 1 top fighter, it is more like elite xc/ strikeforce who is the best behind ufc, and it will be very hard for fedor to fight at every m-1 event unless they do only 2 or 3 event a year.

i don't think that the top fighters in the ufc will think about going to M-1, because of fedor, it is not logic at all.

at this point, all this stuff about fedor is only a rumor, a good one but a rumor anyways,

Post #8   10/11/07 1:16:37AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

yeah, good move for the owner of m-1, but the real competition for ufc is not an organization with 1 top fighter, it is more like elite xc/ strikeforce who is the best behind ufc, and it will be very hard for fedor to fight at every m-1 event unless they do only 2 or 3 event a year.

i don't think that the top fighters in the ufc will think about going to M-1, because of fedor, it is not logic at all.

at this point, all this stuff about fedor is only a rumor, a good one but a rumor anyways,

No they won't go for that and that alone, but if their paying the way i'm hearing, they'll go lol. I agree though they need to get more fighters or they'll flounder, but you guys must admit this is a huge coup in MMA.

Post #9   10/11/07 1:18:35AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,959-1,110
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I completely agree!!!!

Why must he suffer in the UFC? He wouldn't be able to participate in national sambo tournaments which he is one of the best in. Get less paid. And Brutally harrassed if he would lose? At least in M-1 in Russia he'll get the most respect from fans. be able to prove he is the best at sambo in national tournaments and get better paid. ANY FIGHTER WOULD TAKE THIS!!!!

I would love to see how the UFC wouldl fare if top names left just to fight Fedor..

The UFC offered him by far the most money according to his own manager, So It's not the money. It probably is about him wanting more control over his career, but I still think he will have damaged himself since 8 of the top HVY's in the world are there. Fedor not signing where he can fight the best makes him look bad IMO. I personally don't beleive he is afraid , but it is a justifiable argument now. The only thing that will keep him in the top of the current rankings is a victory over Barnett, who is the other top HVY not in the UFC . He could maybe fight Monson or Rothwell , who are in most peoples top 20 at least, but fighting those 2 wouldn't impress most people .However, beating Barnett would.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   10/11/07 3:20:03AM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
Couture doesn't have much time left to fight, maybe 2, 3, or 4 fight left in him. He won't leave the UFC to fight Fedor.
Mark Cuban, reportadly, isn't the investor behind this deal. Although he does have a MMA organization and held an event in Dallas last weekend.
Fedor did cop-out. Although I respect his decision. He's staying close to home, continuing to compete in CombatSambo, and making a hell of a lot of money, $10 million.
Finkelstein is a bitch. He just wanted to get himself more into the loop. The article I read said that he will be helping to organize the events in Russia, and the Red Devil fighters will all pretty much be fighting. This is crap. He isn't looking out for the best interests of Fedor. He's looking out for his self and his wallet. However, this isn't a bad deal for Fedor, although it may tarnish his legacy a little due to the fact that he isn't continuing to fight the best of the best. He may fight Barnett, but other than that, the competition will be a joke. Who's he gonna fight after Barnett, his brother??
His legacy will still be damn good, and considered one of the best MMA fighters of all time. He fought some great fighters in Pride, including CroCop, Big Nog, etc.
The fans are the ones that will suffer the most. Can you imaging him coming to the UFC, and fighting Couture. That would be so huge!! I get excited thinking about it. Too bad it'll probably never happen, at least not in the UFC anyway.

Post #11   10/11/07 11:00:32AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jujiden

However, if ANYONE wants to prove they are better than Fedor, they will have to go to Fedor and until then they can talk all they want, yet prove nothing.

Props to you for bringing this up.

This is very true. I find it a little arrogant of the UFC to sit on their high horses and say that the best needs to come to them. Fedor has never had anything to do with the UFC. If he is/was considered the guy to beat, then he shouldn't feel obligated to go to an org that claims to be the best.

The UFC is like a bully claiming to be the toughest in school, but instead of going out and proving it they are sitting in their backyards waiting for others to come and seek them out.

I could see a number of HWs in the UFC leave (sooner or later) and want to fight Fedor. If they win, I can see the UFC jumping all over that. If the guy loses to Fedor they will keep their mouths shut.

I can see it coming to the point where people might leave the UFC to fight Fedor for the hope of jumpstarting their career (if the win).

Post #12   10/11/07 1:58:29PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
According to someone I know who is involved with mma it may be 10 mil per fight, so the UFC wasn't offering the most. I beleive the reason they kept delaying was because they were waiting to finalize the sale of M-1 to the american, who I beleive is Mark Cuban.

Post #13   10/11/07 2:02:57PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

According to someone I know who is involved with mma it may be 10 mil per fight, so the UFC wasn't offering the most. I beleive the reason they kept delaying was because they were waiting to finalize the sale of M-1 to the american, who I beleive is Mark Cuban.

I don't care what Org it is, but that is totally unreasonable for a fight, but then again boxing is ridiculous in that way so it's not too far fetched.

Post #14   10/11/07 3:25:43PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
First off, to all the people who said something about fighters having to leave the UFC to fight Fedor to see if they are the best.... BS!!!!

Fedor is not the best... he has just proven it. He is not willing to fight top talent as much as he is willing to secure a winning record. He wants to fight nobodies... I'm sure so he can retire and say he won 70 matches and only lost once. If he gave a rat's ass about the majority of his fans, or proving he was the best... he would have signed an exclusive deal with the top organization in the world. Flame all you want, but before you do... I'd like you to name just 1 credible fighter he will be facing in M-1.

Also for whoever said something like they can buy whoever they want and how they are gonna put the UFC out of business... BS again.

It doesn't matter how much they pay... there is no way they could beat what a fighter gets through their UFC earnings/benefits and endorsements. Not to mention how much more exposure they will get. If they truly are giving Fedor $10 million per fight... I predict a bankruptcy coming on. Believe me, just because you love Fedor more than you love UFC does not mean that Fedor can solely cause the UFC to go under. Trust me, he is not worth enough to many people to cause them to boycott the UFC and watch some organization who doesn't even have an english translation for their website. I wonder if they will commentate in Russian too? I personally don't care to see him fight if he's not willing to fight the best. I don't plan on dropping $50 for a ppv for some event where I will probably have never heard of any of the fighters, except for the one who wouldn't fight Randy.

Also you should consider... a very large majority of the UFC's fan base probably doesn't watch anything other than the UFC. Why would they stop watching the UFC to watch some organization that houses a fighter who wasn't willing to fight the top competition in the UFC? PERHAPS if Fedor HAD come to the UFC, and if by some miracle pulled off a decisive victory against Couture... then I could see it as a possibility if Fedor went to another organization that they could pull some more fans. But for anyone who is like me, I definitely won't be watching M-1 just because I don't want to support a fighter not willing to give his MMA fans what they want. If Fedor doesn't want to give his fans what they want... why should we follow him around like he's a god?

Again, flame all you want... talk smack about the UFC all you want... but the guys who hate the UFC and blame the UFC for Fedor's decision to go somewhere else will probably be the only ones still talking about Fedor when the dust settles.

Post #15   10/11/07 3:26:35PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3