Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 77: Are Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia Fighting for a Title Shot?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
After a nearly one-year absence from competition, undefeated UFC heavyweight Brandon Vera (8-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) will return to the octagon next weekend at UFC 77 to take on former champ Tim Sylvia (23-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC). If victorious, the charismatic Californian may ask UFC officials for a title shot...............

LINK

Post #1   10/9/07 1:26:22PM   

bezun

Banned

Career:146-107
Chips:
The Maine-iac by flying armbar.

Post #2   10/9/07 1:38:49PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
Nothing against Tim but I wouldn't want to see him and Randy again. It was such a one sided fight. On the other hand I think Vera would test Randy. But why isin't Arlovski in the mix. Him and Vera would be a WAR.

Post #3   10/9/07 2:09:56PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Vera is a bad dude, but i dont eigther him or sylvia would deserve a title shot with a win. One exception would be if Vera runs over sylvia in the first round then it could be plausable, but i definately dont want to see Coutour Sylvia 3

Post #4   10/9/07 2:18:06PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

Vera is a bad dude, but i dont eigther him or sylvia would deserve a title shot with a win. One exception would be if Vera runs over sylvia in the first round then it could be plausable, but i definately dont want to see Coutour Sylvia 3

Couture/Sylvia 2

Post #5   10/9/07 2:23:47PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
They will if Fedor does not sign since Kongo and Big Nog wouldn't be able to prepare in time...

Post #6   10/9/07 2:24:17PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kevietre

Nothing against Tim but I wouldn't want to see him and Randy again. It was such a one sided fight. On the other hand I think Vera would test Randy. But why isin't Arlovski in the mix. Him and Vera would be a WAR.

AA has contract disputes with the UFC with 1 fight left on his current, he is apparently asking for more money but with his last 3 performances the UFC arent liking that idea and may now think he is expendable, he hasnt fought since April ttho FFS and dont forget before that Dana said if he beat Werdum he would get a shot.
Oh and hey it wasnt such a boring 1 sided fight now was it? come on you would have to love Randy VS Timmay 2, it would have to be more competative this time but of course The Natural would prevail

Post #7   10/9/07 2:26:49PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

They will if Fedor does not sign since Kongo and Big Nog wouldn't be able to prepare in time...

That is the correct, nothing else will factor in and this is the long and the short of it, makes the ufc 77 card alot more impressive, a title shot and a #1 contnder co main event

Post #8   10/9/07 2:32:10PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by kevietre

AA has contract disputes with the UFC with 1 fight left on his current, he is apparently asking for more money but with his last 3 performances the UFC arent liking that idea and may now think he is expendable, he hasnt fought since April ttho FFS and dont forget before that Dana said if he beat Werdum he would get a shot.
Oh and hey it wasnt such a boring 1 sided fight now was it? come on you would have to love Randy VS Timmay 2, it would have to be more competative this time but of course The Natural would prevail

True True. I was under that impression as well that Arlovski was going to get a title shot. Granted the Werdum fight wasnt too exciting but he did go bell to bell with a top ten heavyweight. Arlovksi should get the winner of Vera/ Sylvia which would truly determine the no.1 contender. But the problem with that is that he's already faught Timmay 3x.

And I agree with you that the Natural would prevail again which is kinda why i dont want to see it. On paper it looks like a bad match for Randy but after seeing the fight Randy has more ways to win. The reason why I said it was one sided was because Tim didn't have much offense but I see where your coming from.

Post #9   10/9/07 2:32:30PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:
Yep he will definately have more offense this time, but wont be able to avoid the oak tree timber like takedowns

And they need a HW contender right now so it has to be this fight for Randy to fight on Feb 4th

Post #10   10/9/07 2:48:26PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I'm gonna call joe silva up after this and lay it down.

Theres no way in hell they're not gonna sign fedor vs randy for the superbowl card. So sylvia vs vera.. winner fights the winner of kongo vs nog, the winner of that fight gets a title shot next summer. In the meantime, arlovski vs herring. The winner of that fight, fights the loser of the vera/sylvia fight unless its tim.. in which he'll fight the loser of the nog/kongo fight. The winner of that fight will get to face the loser of the fedor/couture matchup.

I dont know if that actually made sense.. but i know i'd love to see any of those matchups.

Post #11   10/9/07 2:48:35PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Theres no way in hell they're not gonna sign fedor vs randy for the superbowl card. So sylvia vs vera.. winner fights the winner of kongo vs nog, the winner of that fight gets a title shot next summer. In the meantime, arlovski vs herring. The winner of that fight, fights the loser of the vera/sylvia fight unless its tim.. in which he'll fight the loser of the nog/kongo fight. The winner of that fight will get to face the loser of the fedor/couture matchup.

I dont know if that actually made sense.. but i know i'd love to see any of those matchups.

All good matchups but it didnt make much sense as making the next HW title fight wait until July-ish is pointless, would be a 9/10 month break inbetween title fights, its obvious it should really be the winner of Kongo Big Nog but that fight has to wait and the timing dictates that this fight has to be the #1 contender fight, simple as that really

Post #12   10/9/07 2:54:06PM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Im with wapttn on this one. If the UFC is gonna call the Feb card a "Superbowl" of mixed martial arts, then Randy needs to fight Fedor. Randy has already been entertaining the idea of it in interviews. I mean cmon, can it really be anybody else and still be called the "Superbowl"? I dont see how. Whatever the contract negotiation situation is, they have to sign Fedor to not only validate the card but also the HW title. Just my thoughts.

Also, I do not mean to take anything away from anyone else in the talent-loaded UFC HW division. I personally believe that if Fedor isnt signed to be fighting in the UFC by early next year, then he doesnt really qualify as the #1 HW in the world anymore (regardless of how talented he seems to be).

Post #13   10/9/07 3:15:30PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FantasyFighter

Im with wapttn on this one. If the UFC is gonna call the Feb card a "Superbowl" of mixed martial arts, then Randy needs to fight Fedor. Randy has already been entertaining the idea of it in interviews. I mean cmon, can it really be anybody else and still be called the "Superbowl"? I dont see how.

Its only called the superbowl card because its the usual annual show the same weekend as the actual superbowl, they arent using their already over-used catchphrase in this case

I never saw wapttn said "not" sign Fedor - thats pretty crazy IMHO dude, its looking unlikely at the moment tbh! He doesnt really need the money and he loves his country too much, he has this sambo event he wants to compete in, dunno when that is but maybe after that the UFC and his people could sort something out but it seems they are being pretty demanding and we all know what the ufc is like with "negotiating"

Post #14   10/9/07 3:23:17PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I think Tim Sylvia is one of the most underrated fighters in HW division today. He had a freak loss to Couture due to a prior back injury that later resulted in a surgery. Couture went on to defeat Napao, who frankly is a rather inexperienced BJJ fighter.

I see Tim beating Vera, and going on to take his belt back from Couture. I don't see why they would not grant Sylvia a title shot if he beats Vera. And I don't see how Randy could beat him the second time around.

Post #15   10/9/07 4:11:06PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2