Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cage better than ring?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Chec22

MMA Regular

Chec22 Avatar

Career:299-236
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Was just watching some Cro Cop fights on Youtube. Is it just me or does the ring suck for MMA? It has to be smaller, and it looks like they almost fall out of the ropes whenever they touch them. I read somewhere that some like the ring better due to visibility, but I think you see just fine in the cage. Anyway, I am sure this has been discussed before, just wanted to hear any other reasons people have one way or the other.

Post #1   2/6/07 11:41:28AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
This is a neverending discussion. Some people prefer the ring, some people prefer the cage.

I personally like the cage more but it's mainly because there is more space to move on. At least in UFCs octagon.

I don't care though. Cage, ring, just a mat.. I'll watch it.

Post #2   2/6/07 1:31:13PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Ill wathc either or. But for some fighters the Ring is better (strikers who want to corner people) others like the cage (strikers who like to keep a distance). Grapplers have learned how to use the cage to pina opponent in and how to use it to get up.
I personally like the Cage keeps the fighters in. You dont get fighters fallin otu and it being ruled a NC.

Post #3   2/6/07 2:01:05PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
i think Cage is the best...i hate those restarts in the middle of the ring when they too close to the ropes...holding fighters against the fence is a good advantage for wrestlers and Jiu Jitsu guys to take and controls strikers....not just 4 corners

Post #4   2/6/07 2:39:44PM   

Chec22

MMA Regular

Chec22 Avatar

Career:299-236
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Yeah, I will watch either. Sounds like they each have some strategy to go with or against it. I havent seen much of Pride so it stuck out.

Post #5   2/6/07 4:07:42PM   

ghosty82

Learning to Sprawl

ghosty82 Avatar

Career:259-123
Camp: UKFF
Chips:
Either really. Both have bad and good points about them.

I think the cage adds to the image certain people have of the sport being brutal though. Which can't be a good thing in the long run but thats probably down to alot of peoples general ignorance though.

Post #6   2/6/07 7:51:48PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:
Ring has advantages and disadvantages....for example....

a strong puncher can corner a fighter in a corner and give them no where to go...in where in a cage.....NO CORNERS to get stuck in

Post #7   2/6/07 8:42:38PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Both are good. Cage is great but it can be a weapon and take away from just the two guys 1 on 1. Ring's visibility issue has more, i believe, to do with live attendance than camera angles. I've always liked the ring, but....

I really think the answer is the open mat. I wish I could find the link, it should be somewhere on sherdog, I saw video of Sergei against someone I never heard of but with some kind of slavic name and it was not only a great fight but it demonstrated the way the fighters tend to respect the "unwritten" boundry. It's the setup they've always used for grappling events. In this case there was like a 2 ft high curb around them with the audience anoter20 ft back (?), And the entire area looked bigger than the octagon. They had plenty of room to work and no ring cage for any unnatural advantage. Chuck norris' promotion (WCL?) uses a smaller version of the same idea, I think. It doesn't have a lot of exposure but I think it could be THE answer.

Post #8   2/6/07 8:43:47PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
the ring is one of the reasons why rampage won, he cornered chuck. the cage and his experience in it is why i think chuck will win

Post #9   2/6/07 8:47:01PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,959-1,110
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

i think Cage is the best...i hate those restarts in the middle of the ring when they too close to the ropes...holding fighters against the fence is a good advantage for wrestlers and Jiu Jitsu guys to take and controls strikers....not just 4 corners

I agree, and the falling out of the ring thing is scary too.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   2/6/07 9:04:27PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by JunCTion

the ring is one of the reasons why rampage won, he cornered chuck. the cage and his experience in it is why i think chuck will win

good point......but i still think Rampage can outstrike Chuck

Post #11   2/6/07 11:50:34PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

Both are good. Cage is great but it can be a weapon and take away from just the two guys 1 on 1. Ring's visibility issue has more, i believe, to do with live attendance than camera angles. I've always liked the ring, but....

I really think the answer is the open mat. I wish I could find the link, it should be somewhere on sherdog, I saw video of Sergei against someone I never heard of but with some kind of slavic name and it was not only a great fight but it demonstrated the way the fighters tend to respect the "unwritten" boundry. It's the setup they've always used for grappling events. In this case there was like a 2 ft high curb around them with the audience anoter20 ft back (?), And the entire area looked bigger than the octagon. They had plenty of room to work and no ring cage for any unnatural advantage. Chuck norris' promotion (WCL?) uses a smaller version of the same idea, I think. It doesn't have a lot of exposure but I think it could be THE answer.

lol...next UFC should be at the 50 yard line in the middle of a football field...no cage..no ring..

i can see it now....GSP running after Matt Sera all over the field

Post #12   2/6/07 11:54:24PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
I think this is always going to be a matter of personal preference. A cage guy is going to say that a ring causes to many unnecessary stoppages from fighters getting tangled and falling out. A ring guy is going to say that a cage presents to many oppurtunities to slow the pace by pinning someone against it. I think we're starting to move past the whole bad image with the UFC going mainstream. After all these guys aren't referred to as "Cage Fighters" anymore. Longtime supporters of the UFC probably support the cage because that is there perception of MMA and Vice Versa with Pride guys and the ring. I've been a long time UFC fan and realatively newer Pride fan (just go into it within the last five years or so). I can see pros and cons in both arenas, but I've never watched a fight, Pride or UFC, and thought to myself, "Man, this would be so much better if it was in a ring/cage."

Post #13   2/7/07 1:32:45AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
On tv, I perfer to see the cage, I like when the action goes up against the cage. Some fighters can really use it to their advantage. It also helps the fighter on his back to get up in some cases, if he knows how to do it. But at a live promotion, I would prefer the ring because I never get the good seats and it is easier to see the action.

Post #14   2/7/07 3:02:57AM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:
Ring was great for boxing but a cage adds so much to this sport.

Cage for sure.

Post #15   2/7/07 4:17:15AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2