Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Franklin’s keys to reclaiming the title

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Holding on to a title in MMA isn’t easy. Just ask the six champions who left the UFC Octagon without their belts in the last 12 months.

It all started when Anderson Silva stopped Rich Franklin to win the UFC middleweight crown on October 14, 2006, at UFC 64. At the very next UFC pay-per-view event, Georges St-Pierre knocked out Matt Hughes to win the 170-lb crown in a one-sided affair. A few months later, Randy Couture came out of retirement and shocked the world by pounding out Tim Sylvia to win the heavyweight crown at UFC 68.

Link

Post #1   10/6/07 9:43:09PM   

MixedMartialArts

Learning to Sprawl

MixedMartialArts Avatar

Career:333-178
Chips:

Post #2   10/6/07 9:54:51PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
not true, his true key is not getting KTFO...

Post #3   10/6/07 9:56:32PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i honeslty think that silva is better but damn... you just never know nowadays... i'm still calling silva

Post #4   10/6/07 10:08:43PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,071-1,071
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
well, franklin's last fight against okami was not very impressive, he was basically boxing okami for the first 2 rounds and on the other end, okami was doing nothing to even put rich down, the third round was very tuff for rich, who has prove that is ground game is a problem, of course he escape the submission but he was not very please about his performance at the end of the fight.

on the others end, silva's last fight was very impressive , he can fight everykind of opponent, and it even seem easy for him, the confidence factor is clearly on the silva side and rich will need to be lucky if he want to beat this monster !!

i have silva winning by ko round 3.

an upset is always possible, but against silva it is unlikely.

Post #5   10/6/07 10:24:34PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
rich imo will win by TKO/KO

Post #6   10/6/07 11:09:04PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
Franklin in the 4th rd.

We didnt get to see the real franklin vs silva the first time around. Not because his wife was crying before the fight, or any injuries or something like that though. It was because franklin thought he would have the advantage in the clinch. He found out quickly that it was a bad idea,and had zero time to recover.

This time around he has a better idea of what his strengths and weaknesses of this fight are going to be, and I believe that franklin is the more well-rounded fighter here. An elite well-rounded fighter has the option of choosing where the fight takes place, and if franklin exploits that advantage.. which i suspect he will, the fight will go his way.

With that said, silva still has a huge chance of winning this fight. When you fight a striker of that calibre, all it takes is one shot. And its not like hes gonna be swinging for the fences, he's one of the best strikers in the league and all parts of his standup are a threat to franklin

Post #7   10/6/07 11:29:11PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Franklin in the 4th rd.

We didnt get to see the real franklin vs silva the first time around. Not because his wife was crying before the fight, or any injuries or something like that though. It was because franklin thought he would have the advantage in the clinch. He found out quickly that it was a bad idea,and had zero time to recover.

This time around he has a better idea of what his strengths and weaknesses of this fight are going to be, and I believe that franklin is the more well-rounded fighter here. An elite well-rounded fighter has the option of choosing where the fight takes place, and if franklin exploits that advantage.. which i suspect he will, the fight will go his way.

With that said, silva still has a huge chance of winning this fight. When you fight a striker of that calibre, all it takes is one shot. And its not like hes gonna be swinging for the fences, he's one of the best strikers in the league and all parts of his standup are a threat to franklin

Post #8   10/7/07 12:24:39AM   

Btews22

MMA Regular

Btews22 Avatar

Career:190-116
Camp: Oregon Top Team
Chips:
rich has a tough road to hoe he is trying to beat Silva in his own home town!!! all the extra pressure and media responsibilities are going to be too much and Franklin will suffer another embarrassing loss at the hands of the spider!!!

Post #9   10/7/07 1:38:58AM   

Aries2343

MMA Regular

Aries2343 Avatar

Career:621-418
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
If Rich stops those knee we will see a UM decion comeing Riches way and we wil see are champion back but if silva trains with his submissions and Rich takes him down he is screwed because have you seen the length of his legs all together

Rich UM decion America get are champion back

Post #10   10/7/07 8:35:21AM   

EvilScott

MMA Regular

EvilScott Avatar

Career:681-409
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Silva showed how poor his ground game is vs. Okami - he's toast.

Post #11   10/7/07 9:35:30AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,364-1,587
Chips:
Personally I feel Silva is the better fighter...period.
Silva's stand up, clinch and ground game are superior to Franklin beyond a shadow of a doubt.
I do feel Rich has a far better chance this time as he already faced him but he will have to out kick box Silva, avoid or dominate the clinch and control the ground game. That's a huge undertaking. Franklin's training, conditioning, focus, determination and fortitude will all have to be perfect. If Silva is in perfect mental and physical condition it may be impossible. Franklin will have to knock Anderson out or catch a decision to win it.
I don't think the chances of this fight going 25 minutes and reaching the hands of the judges is very good. If this fight goes 25 minutes Rich Franklin will be a hurting individual for sure. He needs the KO.
I felt sorry for Franklin during the first fight.
The look in his eyes after he took 5 or 6 knees to the stomach and ribs was FEAR.
At that point he was hurt bad and realized what kind of situation he was in.
The knees to the midsection and finally the one that destroyed his nose was certainly hard to watch.
It was sad to see him so hurt, punished and beaten.
I am not really a big fan of either fighter, but I hope Rich Franklin can do the near impossible.

Post #12   10/7/07 11:52:01AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

Silva's stand up, clinch and ground game are superior to Franklin beyond a shadow of a doubt.

you're story there almost made me cry a river, but you need to get off silva's nuts and watch some of his fights before he got to the ufc. He's walked through everyone because nobody has executed a proper game plan against him. Leben said he was gonna walk right through his punches. Franklin thought he would out-clinch him. And lutter and Marquardt are jokes, neither of them looked like they belonged in a championship fight.

Silva's ground game is not superior to franklins. While franklin is no bj, silva's ground game is mediocre. If you watch his previous fights you'll see that his takedown defense as well as his scramble are both suspect. As stated above, go watch ROTR against okami and you'll understand

Post #13   10/7/07 12:31:41PM   

jgordon85

MMA Regular

jgordon85 Avatar

Career:1,802-1,198
Camp: Team Twisted
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

you're story there almost made me cry a river, but you need to get off silva's nuts and watch some of his fights before he got to the ufc. He's walked through everyone because nobody has executed a proper game plan against him. Leben said he was gonna walk right through his punches. Franklin thought he would out-clinch him. And lutter and Marquardt are jokes, neither of them looked like they belonged in a championship fight.

Silva's ground game is not superior to franklins. While franklin is no bj, silva's ground game is mediocre. If you watch his previous fights you'll see that his takedown defense as well as his scramble are both suspect. As stated above, go watch ROTR against okami and you'll understand

i think silva has a better ground game than rich. he is just a better striker. but the way to beat silva is a gameplan that you follow. silva survived horns ground game attack. i personally think he is weak on checking kicks. but silva will beat rich.

Post #14   10/8/07 4:46:55AM