Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Wastes of Talent : Kevin Randleman

Print  
Could he have been Top 5 in the World
YES 22 73%
NO 8 27%
Posted By Message

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,670-1,435
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This guy was so athletic and could have done soooo much , he should have left Hammerhouse and went to some good Camp

Here are some of his Acolades :

UFC Heavyweight Champion

Notable Wins :

Mirko Cro Cop

Ninja Rua

Babalu Sobral

Pedro Rizzo

Mo Smith

As you can see He was great back in the day , but when he started taking Sterorids with Mark Coleman , that is when he started his downfall , I really belive that if he wasn't with Hammerhouse then he could have been great

Post #1   10/5/07 6:40:21PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
i agree in a way, but i still think he is a great fight atm

Post #2   10/5/07 7:47:41PM   

BigEvil

Standup Guy

BigEvil Avatar

Career:342-204
Camp: SC MMA
Chips:
I believe that if he didn't take steroids then he would have been great

Post #3   10/5/07 7:57:18PM   

J-Platinum

Learning to Sprawl

J-Platinum Avatar

Career:300-159
Camp: MMATorch.com
Chips:
I had a chance to meet and hang out with him in 2005 while I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. He was totally the opposite of what you would think of the stereotypical MMA star. Very nice guy, not full of himself in the slightest. I do agree that the steroid problems did drag his career down. And his lack of any sort of submission game had a lot to do with him not still being a force.

I still wouldn't try to test him though. The guy is called MONSTER for a reason.

Post #4   10/5/07 8:05:04PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Kevin is on one of my favirote fighters ever.Was he a waste of talent?
No.
He doesn't have the perfect record,but he managed to pull off some major accomplishments.Even if he lost a good deal of his fights.

1.Former UFC champion
2.Knocked out Mirko Crocop when he was still considered a very vicious striker.(not saying CC sucks now,but you get what I mean)
3.Gave Bas Rutten a damn good fight.Despite losing and giving us a lot of lay N pray,he pulled off what very few others accomplished in Pancrase by keeping Rutten on his back.
4.Performed that beautiful suplex on Fedor.He lost the fight but pulled off an amazing technique and made Fedor look vunerable
5.Gives some of the greatest,yet most bizarre interviews of all time.

I think that despite having his own personal demons,he has continued to fight.I think Randleman is a lot like Vitor Belfort.At best,their unstoppable athleates that display a great amount of control and skill in their bouts.At worst,they show us what happens to so many talented competitiors in this sport.They lose their drive to succseed.I know Randleman and Vitor have different backrounds and lifes,but I think their performances echoe eachother in certain aspects.

Post #5   10/5/07 8:24:23PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Kevin is on one of my favirote fighters ever.Was he a waste of talent?
No.
He doesn't have the perfect record,but he managed to pull off some major accomplishments.Even if he lost a good deal of his fights.

1.Former UFC champion
2.Knocked out Mirko Crocop when he was still considered a very vicious striker.(not saying CC sucks now,but you get what I mean)
3.Gave Bas Rutten a damn good fight.Despite losing and giving us a lot of lay N pray,he pulled off what very few others accomplished in Pancrase by keeping Rutten on his back.
4.Performed that beautiful suplex on Fedor.He lost the fight but pulled off an amazing technique and made Fedor look vunerable
5.Gives some of the greatest,yet most bizarre interviews of all time.

I think that despite having his own personal demons,he has continued to fight.I think Randleman is a lot like Vitor Belfort.At best,their unstoppable athleates that display a great amount of control and skill in their bouts.At worst,they show us what happens to so many talented competitiors in this sport.They lose their drive to succseed.I know Randleman and Vitor have different backrounds and lifes,but I think their performances echoe eachother in certain aspects.

AGREED!!! (The site won't let me give you props though for some reason gotta spread the love)

He's actually my FAVORITE fighter. Another reason he loses his matches is because we all know the hammer house has bad cardio and submission defense and he blows 25% percent of his gas tank just shuffling his feet and jumping up in the air before the bell rings.

and I truely believe he only took steroids because of some serious injuries. I heard he was training with Randy until he had that breakdown with the cops. If he didn't have the breakdown and trained with Randy he could easily get a job with anybody an dominate...Plus Randy never gets tapped so he could teach Kevin a thing or two.

I COMPLETELY STRONGLY DISAGREE with blaming Mark Coleman with giving him steroids. Coleman fought at the same event where Kevin got caught and nobody said nothing about him. I'm not sure if they tested him but they should have since his teammate tested positive..I'm telling you it's probably because of his serious injuries...

Post #6   10/5/07 8:34:19PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
i would not consider him a waste of talent cause he had a fricken amazing wrestling career at ohio

Post #7   10/5/07 8:34:53PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by jdubs

i would not consider him a waste of talent cause he had a fricken amazing wrestling career at ohio

AGREE!!! He's NOT a waste of talent. His wrestling is easily top 5 in MMA and is one of the best in the world amaeturly...He's even had a successful MMA carrer. he was the last fighter to beat Cro Cop before he peaked with those 4 or 5 straight wins during the Grand Prix...And that slam on fedor was the best slam I have ever seen. Plus he's a former UFC Heavyweight champ and a freakin legendary pioneer of the sport and should have a win over Chuck Liddell but Big John cost em with that too quick stoppage but thats the only mistake I have ever seen Big John make...

Post #8   10/5/07 8:40:40PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,554-951
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
The most absurd assumptions in this thread are that he had a bunch of MMA wins and THEN started taking steroids.

Post #9   10/5/07 9:15:23PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,670-1,435
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by fullerene

The most absurd assumptions in this thread are that he had a bunch of MMA wins and THEN started taking steroids.

There was no proof when he beat those opponents

Post #10   10/5/07 9:19:45PM   

tlangley

MMA Regular

tlangley Avatar

Career:425-240
Chips:
well he has more notable loses than he does notable wines.....man he's fought everybody.

Post #11   10/5/07 11:12:10PM   

DNor

MMA Regular

DNor Avatar

Career:92-62
Chips:
Egh, not really too big of a waste of talent.. I mean.. he WAS UFC heavyweight champ.
I think a waste of talent from an MMA standpoint was Rickson Gracie IMO, I just wish he would of fought more so I could of read numerous articles talking about his fights rather his "400-0" record; and talking about him making another return.
That and I wanted him to fight Saku.

Also, I think Gilbert Yvel is a bigger waste of talent.

Last edited 10/6/07 7:12PM server time by DNor
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   10/6/07 2:20:49AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
The biggest waste from his side was staying with Hammer House. Why would he need to work on his wrestling?

Plus he was probably full of steroids even back in his UFC days.

Post #13   10/6/07 7:04:26AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
i still wanna see him fight, and just because you dont became a champ or huge star like a chuck or randy,fedor dont mean you are a waste, and i no his name is big but not as big as the ones i put down

Post #14   10/7/07 12:39:58AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Randleman has the warrior spirit.He's doesn't let a loss dictate his future in this sport.He doesn't have to be on top,but he does have to fight.I think that's what makes a champion.It's not having a title around your waist,it's fighting adversity,in the ring and in your life,and never going down for the count.You can physicaly go down,but spiritualy and mentaly you are always on top.I think their are some competitiors in this sport who should quit holding on to their record so much and just fight for the sake of the fight.Not for the sake of their record.

Post #15   10/7/07 9:06:46AM