Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Why Ortiz Turned Down Rashad Rematch

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Tito Ortiz recently made a post on The Underground forum and explained why he turned down the rumored rematch with Rashad Evans.

Article

Good enough reason, hopefully the rematch still happens someday.

Post #1   10/5/07 1:29:32PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I must have been looking into a crystal ball when I said that Tito will try everything in his power to avoid a rematch with Rashad.

I'm trying to pay my bills injured and making guys like evans and forrest look good.

Injured or not, Tito never loses a sense of respect for his fellow fighters!

Post #2   10/5/07 1:37:26PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:
I think he's probably just trying to play this off like it was his decision. I'm sure Dana is probably pissed off at Tito about the contract negotiations... then Tito probably spouted off something about how they need him... Then Dana probably thought he would show Tito by rescheduling the fight that was supposed to go to him.... Then Tito thinks... I'll make this look like it was my decision, and make it look like they need me again.

Post #3   10/5/07 1:55:41PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
This sounds like he won't be fighting Wandy anytime soon either if he wants to heal up.

That's the rematch I wanted to see. Granted they fought a long time ago.

Post #4   10/5/07 2:08:41PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
this is just another excuse used by tito ortiz. im tired of his charades and head games that he plays and i think that he should just shut his mouth and let his fighting do the talking for a while, and based of his last couple of fights, that doesnt look like its gonna happen

Post #5   10/5/07 2:24:01PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
There could be a lot of other reasons behind this.. and there probably are but I think this is legit. His knee was ****** when he fought griffin, and had he not thrown out his back then rashad would be toast. I dont know about you guys, but I'd much rather see the old tito ortiz than the new one, and if he thinks that this will do it, then i say fcuk the rashad rematch.. nobody wanted to see that shit anyways

Post #6   10/5/07 2:42:23PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

There could be a lot of other reasons behind this.. and there probably are but I think this is legit. His knee was ****** when he fought griffin, and had he not thrown out his back then rashad would be toast. I dont know about you guys, but I'd much rather see the old tito ortiz than the new one, and if he thinks that this will do it, then i say fcuk the rashad rematch.. nobody wanted to see that shit anyways

I think Bisping-Evans is much more intriguing than immediate rematches with Hamill and Ortiz would have been.

I'm sick of seeing Tito at 75% too. I thought he looked pretty good against Chuck last Winter, but those exhibition matches with Ken Shamrock were a waste of time and he clearly gassed out in the 3rd rounds against Griffin and Evans (and he still had both matches won, imho).

Last edited 10/5/07 3:10PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   10/5/07 3:09:29PM   

Strika

Learning to Sprawl

Strika Avatar

Career:767-426
Chips:
I agree, no one wants to see a fighter go into a match hurt, knowing that the opponent is going to give 100%, and he is just not capable of doing it. Tito is a great fighter, and will always be a great fighter. I mean look at Sean Sherk, he has the same game plan as Tito and dominates. You cant tell me that Tito at 100% can not beat anyone.

Post #8   10/5/07 3:44:24PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,460-1,143
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

I have to say wapttn, that I think you have some of the highest quality posts and would give you more props but they won't let me. Of course I could be biased as I am also from BC.

Post #9   10/5/07 4:18:12PM   

Canadian-Pain

MMA Regular

Canadian-Pain Avatar

Career:282-198
Camp: Canadian Pain
Chips:
tito simply hasn't evolved as a fighter. Other then beating up an old man twice he hasnt done anything for years. Let the chirade go tito you just dont have it anymore.

Post #10   10/5/07 4:31:30PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
hahaha thanks

And I know what people mean by saying that tito hasnt evolved, he hasnt added a sick kickboxing game, or a crazy submission offense.. but its only cause he hasnt had to. His strategy is to put you on ur ass and wail on you for as long as the fight goes. Its an effective strategy, and nobody in the business does it better than him. His game has evolved around this strategy. His takedown are top10 if not top5, his standup is good enough to setup his takedowns and even good enough to trade with most of the lw division. His GnP makes it so pulling guard on him is a horrible idea, his submission defence has kept him safe since ufc22, and he has what is easily top5 cardio in the class if not the league. The one weakness that this style has is against someone with 'legendary' takedown defense and some of the greatest strikes in the business. Another case where you could say he hasnt evolved.

This sport is all about being able to beat ur opponents, however you do it is up to you

Post #11   10/5/07 6:04:44PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
So...everyone's calling BS on shogun, and Tito's got a good excuse?

Post #12   10/5/07 6:58:06PM   

J-Platinum

Learning to Sprawl

J-Platinum Avatar

Career:300-159
Camp: MMATorch.com
Chips:
Tito knows he wouldn't beat Rashad in a rematch. The ref would be watching the cage holding and so would the judges. The LHW division is really a toss up right now after the losses by Shogun and Liddell. So is Tito vs. Henderson supposed to be the next big LHW fight, or is Silva going to come in and try his luck? Here's my opinion:

Keith Jardine vs. Forrest Griffin
Tito vs. Henderson or Wanderlei

Then the winners of these two go at it and the winner of that gets a shot at Rampage. Since Rashad and Matt Hamill are both getting screwed over with the announcement of Rashad vs. Bisping.

Post #13   10/5/07 7:24:40PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

I must have been looking into a crystal ball when I said that Tito will try everything in his power to avoid a rematch with Rashad.

I'm trying to pay my bills injured and making guys like evans and forrest look good.

Yeah poor Tito. Even his g/f is out on disability and he can't pay his bills so he has to fight @75% just like every other fighter in the UFC and since Shamrock isn't currently available for beat-downs, he is forced to make Griffen and Evans look good. It's sad, really.
If Ortiz put half as much effort into fighting as he does marketing and damage control, he would be the Undisputed HW/LHW/MW Champion of the Universe and would keep a leather-bondage-outfit clad Fedor locked in a trunk in the basement of his pawn shop.

-OUT-

Post #14   10/5/07 7:53:39PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Posted by silverbullet

Yeah poor Tito. Even his g/f is out on disability and he can't pay his bills so he has to fight @75% just like every other fighter in the UFC and since Shamrock isn't currently available for beat-downs, he is forced to make Griffen and Evans look good. It's sad, really.
If Ortiz put half as much effort into fighting as he does marketing and damage control, he would be the Undisputed HW/LHW/MW Champion of the Universe and would keep a leather-bondage-outfit clad Fedor locked in a trunk in the basement of his pawn shop.

-OUT-

I just can't stand posts like this. Pretty much everyone knows Tito is one of the hardest training guys in the business. Even Couture says that he overtrains. Anyway, if you're just going to fighter bash can you do it on sherdog?

Post #15   10/5/07 8:12:33PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3