Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

When is the best time to take a supplement?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Okay just thought i wouldpo a question here. I currently take Protien Whey after i weight train. I have heard that it is better to take it directly b4. Any ideas?

Post #1   2/6/07 9:40:25AM   

Maniac

Learning to Sprawl

Maniac Avatar

Career:148-113
Camp: Everday Fighter
Chips:
i've heard half before + half after so your body does not run out of fuel to build muscle

Post #2   2/6/07 11:28:42AM   

Tha1

Learning to Sprawl

Tha1 Avatar

Career:5-4
Chips:
whey protein is a fast absorbing protein. it is best to take it immediately after a workout. for something pre-workout, have a snack. a small serving of complex carbs is good, ie. wholegrain cereal, wholegrain bread, root veggies, etc. you can find a list of them somewhere. keep the shakes to a minimum, although they are full of protein and low in fat, its still a processed food. get most of you protein from a natural source. i used to swear by protein shakes until i got cramps, the shits, and other things. now i just have 2 a day at the most, 1 during breakfast and 1 after a workout. and just a reg. serving will do, don't double scoop or anything like that, your body can only absorb so much at a time.... that was a lot longer than i thought it would be, hope its helpful though

Post #3   2/6/07 1:24:37PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
After work out.

If your metabolism is running, and your breaking down food right before a workout, blood will be used digesting that food, and while your working out, you want to focus on purely your muscles. If you want something before a work out have a SMALL whole grain snack, or if your into NO, take it about an hour, hour and half before your workout.

Protein shakes will help rebuild your muscles after workouts, which is what you want to gain muscle mass. And like Tha1 said, you DONT want to over do it with your whey protein. Too much of anything is bad for you, and if you have too much protein in your diet, you will get sick. About a gram * your weight is a reasonable amount if you have the rest of your diet into perspective.

Post #4   2/6/07 5:36:19PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
thanks guys i think thats good. I only take 1 scoop of Whey in 250 ml of Milk/ Water. Im gonna try taking it right after.
Ill let you know by next year if im ripped.

Post #5   2/6/07 8:01:42PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
ive been layin off protein latley and been eatin a lot of tuna mainly after i work out and ive been putting good weight on..

Post #6   3/1/07 11:41:20PM   

Brick

MMA Regular

Brick Avatar

Career:1,294-641
Camp: Dead Skin Mask
Chips:
OK, I've always wondered so I'll bring it up here. Any chance this supplement thing is a scam? Not saying that it is, because I've never taken any so I can't judge. But it just seems there are so many bright-color-label supplements, from so many manufacturers, with so many outrageous claims....I can't help but be suspicious.

Protein...carbs....etc, etc.. Can't we just eat some chicken, rice, pasta, etc?

Not meant to be a "controversial" post or an accusation, so let me know what you think.

Post #7   3/2/07 8:06:24PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:

Posted by Brick

OK, I've always wondered so I'll bring it up here. Any chance this supplement thing is a scam? Not saying that it is, because I've never taken any so I can't judge. But it just seems there are so many bright-color-label supplements, from so many manufacturers, with so many outrageous claims....I can't help but be suspicious.

Not meant to be a "controversial" post or an accusation, so let me know what you think.

i dont think its a scam but rather the easy alternative to preparing that stuff

Post #8   3/2/07 8:12:08PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by madmarck

thanks guys i think thats good. I only take 1 scoop of Whey in 250 ml of Milk/ Water. Im gonna try taking it right after.
Ill let you know by next year if im ripped.

Eggs give you 94 percent absorption, Chicken 70-75 percent absorption, and steak is in between. By absorption I mean the percentage of protien you intake after digestion. So when you eat a chicken breast, 75 percent of it will be absorbed as protien nutrients, where as eggs you get almost 100 percent reabsorbtion.

And your body can only use up to 60 grams of protien every 4 hours so eating a huge steak dinner before your workout, and coming home 2 hours later and having 2 x 30 gram scoops of protien will lead to expensive, protien enriched urine.

So knowing those factors to balance into your diet, thats why its best to eat "harder digesting" meals before your workout and fast synthesizing foods right after when your bodies reuptake is at its greatest.

Also replenish your glycogen stores in your liver too after a workout by eating carbs
its the best time up to 2 hours after your workout, your body will absorb the most protiens/carbs.

Post #9   3/12/07 5:50:58PM   

FortySixBelow

MMA Regular

Career:17-17
Chips:
Hate to break this to you the anabolic window is only 30 mins...

So if you want that sugar to refill your glycogen stores you better bring that post workout drink with you if you are heading straight to work after.

Post #10   4/4/07 2:22:54PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
There are some good bits of info on this thread

I take my protein (or a modified Rich Franklin shake) after my workout. I find that it helps me more with recovery than building muscle, which is ok because I don't want to be any bigger than I am right now.

I only mix the powder with water. Water is recommended (over juice, milk etc.) because it allows faster absorption. It doesn't taste as good, but I just down it anyways.

I like whey powder that is lower in carbs and lactose, so that is something to look for if you want to fine tune your selection.

I also only take my shake after hard workouts. This is more for the fact that I don't want to be taking more of this stuff than I need. It's not the cheapest stuff in the world. Bananas are a great post workout snack.

As for whether supplements are a scam. Some are and some aren't. There are some things out there that are better taken from their natural source. For example, I would recommend eating fish over taking salmon oil pills, eating actual veggies over 'greens' supplements, etc.

There are a lot of factors that go into making pills. Usually you get what you pay for. i.e. you buy cheap multi vitamins, you are getting pills with more fillers and possibly oxidized ingredients. I've seen lipid (fat) pills sold that are completely oxidized when first opened (you can tell by the colour).

I stick to a good diet and take a multi vitamin (Ultimate One for athletes) and whey (wheymore XP - I think). That is it.

Last edited 4/4/07 6:50PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   4/4/07 6:34:41PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Brick

I wanted to add something to this. There are a lot of claims made by a product based on certain studies. If you cannot access those studies yourself, or they are vague, I would take them with a big grain of salt.

The bottom line is, try them (as recommended) and see if they work. IF they don't do anything for you, then stop taking them.

If the label says that you need to take them for 6 months before they take affect, I would say that is a scam in itself.

Post #12   4/4/07 6:39:29PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by Rush

There are some good bits of info on this thread

I take my protein (or a modified Rich Franklin shake) after my workout. I find that it helps me more with recovery than building muscle, which is ok because I don't want to be any bigger than I am right now.

I only mix the powder with water. Water is recommended (over juice, milk etc.) because it allows faster absorption. It doesn't taste as good, but I just down it anyways.

I like whey powder that is lower in carbs and lactose, so that is something to look for if you want to fine tune your selection.

I also only take my shake after hard workouts. This is more for the fact that I don't want to be taking more of this stuff than I need. It's not the cheapest stuff in the world. Bananas are a great post workout snack.

As for whether supplements are a scam. Some are and some aren't. There are some things out there that are better taken from their natural source. For example, I would recommend eating fish over taking salmon oil pills, eating actual veggies over 'greens' supplements, etc.

There are a lot of factors that go into making pills. Usually you get what you pay for. i.e. you buy cheap multi vitamins, you are getting pills with more fillers and possibly oxidized ingredients. I've seen lipid (fat) pills sold that are completely oxidized when first opened (you can tell by the colour).

I stick to a good diet and take a multi vitamin (Ultimate One for athletes) and whey (wheymore XP - I think). That is it.

What about your carb intake after hard workouts? dont forget to fill your glycogen stores!

Post #13   4/5/07 12:54:41AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
Well, if I have an average workout, I typically have a banana or a granola bar with my protein shake (or even if I don't have a protein shake)

If I have a big workout and am at home I have the following

1/2 cup of oatmeal (not the instant kind)
1/4 cup of protein powder
1 banana
2-3 tbsp of flax oil
water to the desired consistency

I blend everything (except the oil) really well. Then I add the oil and do a quick mix.

The shake is amazing.

Post #14   4/5/07 11:09:01AM   

pitfighter9

Learning to Sprawl

Career:24-25
Chips:
hey bud,i like to have a protein shake about a hour before my training,but only about 20gram serving along with some slow burning carbs for energy.after training ill have about 50grams of protien with about 80-120 grams of carbs.i find it works good for myself and some of the other guys i train

Post #15   7/15/07 12:13:23AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2