Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Whats so Big about WEC anymore?

Print  
Posted By Message

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Is it just me or did all of a Sudden WEC got a lot of more coverage and talked aboout once Zuffa bout it. I dont see the org has changed very much. And we according to Dana White we won't see fighters jumping back and forth between UFC and WEC. I think it wil be a farm team and the fighters will get one chance to fight in UFC after they have proved themselves in WEC. But can we seriously be excpecting the best fighters in the world in WEC at all??? If you think about it no. B/c If Dana white signs a awesome fighter he is going to the UFC. Just look at Hermes Franca he was the WEC LW champ and he was forced to give up his belt.
The only division we may see with the best is the FW/ SLW 145 divison. Uriah Faber is here and he is one of the top fightes in the division. As well i would like to see Mark Hominick Fighting in this divison (his natural weight class).

Post #1   2/6/07 9:34:45AM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
I haven't had the chance to see a WEC fight yet. I have only read results in Grappling and other mags. But I did just get the HD package so I am hoping to check out some soon. I don't think it's bad that they are getting more coverage due to the ufc buyout. All events need all the coverage they can get.

Post #2   2/7/07 2:22:43AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:
Thats what i was saying they are getting huge coverage. But we wont see the best in the world (or near it ) in that org. If Zuffa signs Denis Kang do you think he would be put in WEC? I doubt it. Even if they resigned someone like Frank Trigg or Jason Miller. (Good Fighters but not Top 10) Zuffa would still rather have them in the UFC. What i am saying is wont this org become lower quality that it has been bought out by Zuffa? Im not saying it is not entertaining. Im just saying it wont have top tier fighters. I mean when a Kit Cope gets a title shot and his record is 1-3 (no offense i like the guy), something is up. They are either using him as fodder or they don't have much talent in that divison. Cope doesn't have the ground game to contend for a title in WEC yet. He is a good guy for that org (good striking and athletiscism) but he has basically no ground game. Im not trying to hate on Cope but do you see my point?

How many people are actually gonna read all of this?

Post #3   2/7/07 6:48:56AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Thats what i was saying they are getting huge coverage. But we wont see the best in the world (or near it ) in that org. If Zuffa signs Denis Kang do you think he would be put in WEC? I doubt it. Even if they resigned someone like Frank Trigg or Jason Miller. (Good Fighters but not Top 10) Zuffa would still rather have them in the UFC. What i am saying is wont this org become lower quality that it has been bought out by Zuffa? Im not saying it is not entertaining. Im just saying it wont have top tier fighters. I mean when a Kit Cope gets a title shot and his record is 1-3 (no offense i like the guy), something is up. They are either using him as fodder or they don't have much talent in that divison. Cope doesn't have the ground game to contend for a title in WEC yet. He is a good guy for that org (good striking and athletiscism) but he has basically no ground game. Im not trying to hate on Cope but do you see my point?

How many people are actually gonna read all of this?

I hear you, how many guys like Kang would leave Pride or a big org for WEC anyway? UFC can use WEC to pit amateur fighters against 3-loss+/unknown foreign fighters as a means of making it to the UFC. Basically the TU5 guys and others in that same position, Baroni/Diaz can then have the option of redeemeing themselves up against talent in WEC for another chance at UFC. It is a great way for ufc to filter their fighters and result with the top guys. They have alot of guys on their roster now and it will be difficult for them to showcase them all, regardless of how many shows, as they are still only one belt per weight class. If the UFC can create any sort of credibility for the WEC belts (you're right they certainly aren't at the moment) then fighters will fight in the WEC to catapult themselves into ufc.

Post #4   2/7/07 7:34:33AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,946-1,103
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Accoring to MMA weekly Mayhem signed to fight on the next WC card, it's a start.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   2/7/07 7:39:16AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Accoring to MMA weekly Mayhem signed to fight on the next WC card, it's a start.

listen to 'The Savage Dog Show" on Sherdog.
A letter or something from Mayhem says he had no idea that he was fighting on the WEC card. He says his next fight is with ICON.

Post #6   2/7/07 1:27:51PM