Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

White fears for Franklin's future

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,790-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC president Dana White fears for Rich Franklin’s career if he loses his rematch with Anderson Silva.

The pair will fight for the middleweight title at UFC 77 in Cincinatti on October 20 and Silva has claimed in our exclusive video below that the fight will be one of the greatest in UFC history.

Link

Post #1   10/4/07 6:04:02PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I saw this in the indepth video on the matchup.. and its true, if franklin loses then whats he gonna do? Franklin has the ability to demolish anybody in the division except silva.. its like a permanent second place. What franklin needs is to either drop to ww (i'm not sure he can make it), or hope that the division gets beefed up so that someone else can dethrone silva. It might just be the whole liddel/jackson or tito/liddel.. some guys just have ur number

I think it would be really funny if tito had jacksons number, it would be like rock/paper/scissors =D

Post #2   10/4/07 6:40:40PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:
He will be just like Tito, and they have kept him around for a long time. He will be a good gate keeper, i want to see him fight Kampann.

Post #3   10/4/07 6:55:53PM   

DonnieDarko

MMA Regular

DonnieDarko Avatar

Career:629-359
Chips:
i wouldn't mind seeing rich fight mcfedries.

Post #4   10/4/07 7:01:51PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,480-1,168
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

I saw this in the indepth video on the matchup.. and its true, if franklin loses then whats he gonna do? Franklin has the ability to demolish anybody in the division except silva.. its like a permanent second place. What franklin needs is to either drop to ww (i'm not sure he can make it), or hope that the division gets beefed up so that someone else can dethrone silva. It might just be the whole liddel/jackson or tito/liddel.. some guys just have ur number

I think it would be really funny if tito had jacksons number, it would be like rock/paper/scissors =D

That would be awesome to see Tito take out Jackson. Just to see the MMA world upside down.

Post #5   10/4/07 8:12:53PM   

adamal

MMA Regular

adamal Avatar

Career:67-40
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

He can't drop to WW I bet, since he used to fight at 205 and is a huge 185. That would be a lot to cut. And obviously going back to 205 would be a terrible idea. He was small at 205 before and now that division is out of hand. I understnad not giving him another title shot at Silva if he looses. But if Silve ever looses the belt why can't Rich fight for it again if he's still the top choice for #1. But that is IF Silva ever looses it of course.

Post #6   10/4/07 8:55:15PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by puppetmaster837

He will be just like Tito, and they have kept him around for a long time. He will be a good gate keeper, i want to see him fight Kampann.

how is tito a gate keeper he just fought for the belt in december and about franklin dropping to 170 that just wont happen he is way to big already so he just has to hope for the division to bulk up and for someone to knock off silva kind of like the liddell-ortiz situiation.By the way i dont see anyone knocking off silva anytime soon so good luck Rich.

Post #7   10/4/07 9:06:05PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,228-1,515
Chips:
It won't be good for Rich Franklin if he loses to Silva again...which I think he will.
It shouldn't be the end of his career though, or even his time in the UFC.
Look how many times Couture has been beaten in the past.
He came back and is arguably the number one heavyweight in the world currently.

Post #8   10/4/07 9:41:44PM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
you would be more likely to see him at lhw than ww there is just no way imo that he could cut. he is one of the biggest 185'ers and i just dont see it.

its kind of a pet peeve of mine that it would be even a possibility that rich franklin wouldnt have a solid career with the ufc if he loses this fight. he would still be the number 2 in the division and at some point anderson will lose and things will change. i mean its crazy that the ufc would even consider dropping him when there is no one better to take his place, save silva. championship matchups provide great drama but sometimes i think people get too worried about them and not worried enough about just wanting to see a good fight. there is no mw in the world that rich doesnt pose a threat to, silva included, and for that reason he should have a contract and big fights as long as he wants/is able to perform.

im not a pride or ufc fanboy in particular but there is something to be said for the way pride handles these sort of issues. you didnt hear them saying "big nog wont be champ again so there is nothing to be done with him". there were intriguing matchups so he remained a star.

Last edited 10/4/07 10:17PM server time by jomatty
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   10/4/07 10:15:18PM   

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Career:910-552
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
I'm just gonna reply to this for the record even though it's meaning less, because Rich is going to beat Silva anyway.(can't blame a guy for hoping can you?) Just like alot of you are saying if Silva wins there will be new guys coming in that match up better with Silva but may be a better match up for Franklin. I think Dana is just trying add the whole drama story line to the match which is very smart.

Post #10   10/5/07 8:54:56AM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Lame comment by Danna.

So, since Nog is 0-3 vs Fedor his career is over.

All Franklin has to do is keep whooping ass. First of all Silva is not well rounded enough to stay champ very long. Hes lucky 185 dont have very many wrestlers.

The biggest problem is Dana throwing together rematches way to soon. When you have them so soon you run into Sylvia/Arlovski situations where they fought so much so often people Never want to see either of them again.

Frankin will be fine. You dont always have to be the champ to make fighting worth while. Its a job. Styles make fights. If he cant beat Silva, Silva will also some day meet his match and Franklin may have that guys number.

Post #11   10/5/07 11:48:13AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
send him to WEC if he loses this fight

#1 it puts a big name in the org
#2 him and Filho would be a good fight IMO
#3 what the hell else are you going to do the MW division is a deep as a alabama trailer park gene pool

Post #12   10/5/07 1:05:18PM   

mutosufan

MMA Regular

Career:33-26
Chips:

Posted by thepunisher

#3 what the hell else are you going to do the MW division is a deep as a alabama trailer park gene pool

So the WEC is stacked in the MW division?

Send RF to the WEC for just one fighter?

Interesting

Post #13   10/5/07 1:28:49PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I really think everyone is overreacting here. Franklin might lose, but he's a super intelligent fighter and learns from his mistakes. What i suspect will happen is this fight will go into the championship rounds if not to a decision, one which could still very likely to go silva, but franklin will show that silva is not invincible. Match them up enough times and franklin will find a way to win.

Post #14   10/5/07 2:18:58PM   

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Career:910-552
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:

Posted by thepunisher

Why would take one of your best MW fighters out of an already shallow division.

Post #15   10/5/07 3:20:02PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2