Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Pride and Prejudice

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Ricco Rodriguez (Pictures) should've been our first clue. The wild card UFC heavyweight was coming off both a knockout loss to Tim Sylvia (Pictures) and an eight-month sabbatical in 2003 when he agreed to face PRIDE star Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures) in the promotion's home turf of Saitama, Japan, on just two weeks' notice.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   10/4/07 2:59:45PM   

kerazzle

MMA Regular

kerazzle Avatar

Career:349-189
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
jake rossen sucks.

Post #2   10/4/07 6:18:47PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
lw belt.. no pride fighter in sight

ww belt.. no pride fighter in sight

mw belt.. no pride fighter in sight (until hendo drops down)
Silva is not a pride fighter. Only 5 of his 23 fights were in pride, and he only won 3 of them. His last win in pride was in 2003 (14 fights ago)

lhw belt.. is on lock by rampage who is a pride fighter (i think 18 pride fights, with his last being 2 before the ufc)

hw belt.. is ufc owned, but with nog close to a title shot and fedor possibly on the way, its a tossup.

I'd say thats pretty even.. gotta remember, its the fighter who makes the organization, not the organization who makes the fighter.

(exceptions include but are not limited to: prides relaxed doping policy, and their tendency to schedule bouts in order to give certain fighters advantages in the ring.)

Post #3   10/4/07 6:37:04PM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:
I remember when the UFC bought Pride, and I thought "Finally, UFC vs. Pride arguments are over."

. . .

. . .

I'm a moron.

Post #4   10/4/07 7:46:59PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,252-1,525
Chips:
I love this part...

"PRIDE athletes, bereft of any specially packaged tomato cans to dine on, are likely to continue looking very human in the Octagon. The legacies of Fedor Emelianenko , "Cro Cop" and pending addition Wanderlei Silva were built in part on squash matches that made them look unstoppable. That's virtually unheard of in the Ultimate, where even unheralded opponents have the capability of flattening out anyone.

More importantly, the UFC refuses to manipulate athletes to achieve a preferred outcome. Fighters in PRIDE frequently complained of being coerced into competing on short notice, or with injuries, to boost the chances of their adversaries.

Athletes who refused sudden "opportunities" were threatened with burn notices. Tournaments further confused the issue, with fresher fighters tearing into weathered finalists."

Post #5   10/4/07 8:28:12PM   

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,270-794
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
The dood is right on.

Post #6   10/4/07 8:41:46PM   

bezun

Banned

Career:146-107
Chips:
Silva is most assuredly a pride fighter. Ecpecially with his camp being chute boxe. He has the pride style of fighting.
I wouldn't agree with the writer using nick diaz as a solid talking point for the ufc just because he has been all over the place and the other org.s influences are in his fight style.

Post #7   10/5/07 11:56:07AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by bezun

Silva is most assuredly a pride fighter. Ecpecially with his camp being chute boxe. He has the pride style of fighting.
I wouldn't agree with the writer using nick diaz as a solid talking point for the ufc just because he has been all over the place and the other org.s influences are in his fight style.

Anderson Silva has been all over the place. He has 5 fights in Meca. 2 in Shooto. 5 in Pride. 5 in Cage Rage. 4 in the UFC. 1 in ROTR and 1 in Gladiator. Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman are wrestlers. Does that make them UFC fighters??????????

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #8   10/5/07 4:53:33PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by DevMahon

I remember when the UFC bought Pride, and I thought "Finally, UFC vs. Pride arguments are over."

. . .

. . .

I'm a moron.

i thought the same thing... hehe.
we shoulda known better haha

Post #9   10/5/07 6:46:07PM