Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Not all Pride fighters struggle in the UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
“I have no idea why some are struggling to adjust. With Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, he just made one mistake and ran into Heath Herring’s leg. That is a big leg so it is going to take some steam out of you. Nog recovered well and I think that other than that kick he dominated the rest of the fight. At the same time Quinton Jackson and Anderson Sylva in my eyes are PRIDE fighters. So you could say that PRIDE owns two belts in the UFC right now. Both of those guys fought almost all their fights and made their name in PRIDE. They are PRIDE fighters. It is easy to throw a UFC label on Jackson because he is American. He only fought one fight in the cage with WFA before he went to the UFC.”

LINK

Post #1   10/3/07 7:14:21PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
I think PRIDE fans are upset that the UFC killed PRIDE. And I think both UFC and PRIDE fans are confident that their fighters are dominant. And I think it doesn't matter what anyone says, because THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PRIDE FIGHTER ANYMORE!!! There are only UFC fighters. And unsigned former PRIDE fighters.

Post #2   10/3/07 7:35:04PM   

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

I think PRIDE fans are upset that the UFC killed PRIDE. And I think both UFC and PRIDE fans are confident that their fighters are dominant. And I think it doesn't matter what anyone says, because THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PRIDE FIGHTER ANYMORE!!! There are only UFC fighters. And unsigned former PRIDE fighters.

"Mixed martial arts is an individual sport and the glory of victory belongs to the individual, not the name of the promotion. "

Post #3   10/3/07 7:46:53PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aznteabagger

Quinton Jackson and Anderson Sylva in my eyes are PRIDE fighters. So you could say that PRIDE owns two belts in the UFC right now. Both of those guys fought almost all their fights and made their name in PRIDE. They are PRIDE fighters.

LINK

Then I think you have some corrections to make. You state that "PRIDE owns two belts in the UFC right now". PRIDE owns? HMM. It sounds like you are taking two individuals accomplishments, and using them to help solidify your organisations name. Completely contradicting your previous post.

And the correct term is "former PRIDE fighter".

Post #4   10/3/07 8:06:33PM   

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by aznteabagger

Quinton Jackson and Anderson Sylva in my eyes are PRIDE fighters. So you could say that PRIDE owns two belts in the UFC right now. Both of those guys fought almost all their fights and made their name in PRIDE. They are PRIDE fighters.

LINK

Then I think you have some corrections to make. You state that "PRIDE owns two belts in the UFC right now". PRIDE owns? HMM. It sounds like you are taking two individuals accomplishments, and using them to help solidify your organisations name. Completely contradicting your previous post.

And the correct term is "former PRIDE fighter".

if you read the article, i copied and pasted that from the site... and mind the " " <--quotations...

Last edited 10/3/07 8:10PM server time by aznteabagger
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   10/3/07 8:09:14PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:
I was just arguing with others ahead of time. Juust Kidding! Whose the Goose? Its me. Boy do I feel stupid. Ive been posting a lot lately, and I think it has just become second nature to just start the debate. Boy maybe I need a break for a little while. My bad. Damn, and I thought I finally had chance with this one. Maybe Ill check out that article. I just had an argument with an interview. and I won. YES!!

Last edited 10/3/07 8:21PM server time by xxMALICExx
2 total post edits

Post #6   10/3/07 8:15:02PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Of Anderson Silva's previous 8 fights before entering the UFC; 7 were in a cage, the lone ONE, of those, being in PRIDE.

This thread is based on failed logic as if he came straight from PRIDE.

I didn't read the article but based on the snippet posted, the writer is a retard.

Good day sir.

Last edited 10/4/07 12:04AM server time by Kpro

Post #7   10/4/07 12:03:30AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
To further deposit fecal matter on Anderson being a "PRIDE" fighter; in the past 4 years, 11 of his 12 fights have been in a cage, not a ring.

Explain to me how that qualifies him to hold said writers verbal torch as a PRIDE fighter that made the transition to the cage.

My dog deposits mounds on my lawn with a higher IQ than people supporting said argument.

Post #8   10/4/07 12:10:12AM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
I have no doubt the ability of Pride fighters, just give them a little more time til we see how good they are once they cope with the cage and new rules

I do agree that Jackson is a def Pride fighter and was smart to coem to UFC early to become champ in the division before the merge and all out chaos to get a shot happened.

But Anderson Silva should most definetely not be labeled a Pride or UFC fighter at all. He only has only 4 fights in UFC (will have more) and 5 in Pride so he is about even in both promotions and not a veteren in either.. Some would laugh but I do label him as a Cage Rage fighter. Cage Rage put him on the map as the dominate champ in his weight class and made UFC notice they really should sign him a contract. He is the greatest champ to ever hold that title in Cage Rage and will always be brought back to there.

Post #9   10/4/07 12:43:41AM   

Schizoidman

MMA Regular

Schizoidman Avatar

Career:94-60
Chips:
It's a quote from Josh Barnett in case anyone failed to notice. I'm pretty sure it's his response to the fact that one of the most widely discussed topics in MMA is that fighters who were once in Pride are now struggling in the UFC which leads people to believe that UFC fighters in general are of higher caliber than those that were in Pride. It's a weak and overly focused on topic anyway. Along with the whole Randy vs. Fedor thing. I mean it's awesome that we get to debate and discuss whatever we want, but all the hypatheticals and over-analizations on Pride vs. UFC and Randy vs. Fedor are getting tired. Pride fighters aren't Pride fighters anymore. The ones under debate are UFC fighters now. So dogging Pride is in effect dogging UFC. There's no point. And Randy vs. Fedor will probably happen in the near future. At least wait until after Fedor does the Sambo tournament and decides if he's gonna sign a UFC contract. Then we'll know who's #1 or we will shortly after. As far as I'm concerned, #1 heavyweight is an unoccupied position until we know if Fedor will even sign a UFC contract, which is looking pretty positive lately.

Post #10   10/4/07 2:10:03AM   

twoguns365

Learning to Sprawl

twoguns365 Avatar

Career:1,656-1,131
Chips:

Posted by aznteabagger

“I It is easy to throw a UFC label on Jackson because he is American. He only fought one fight in the cage with WFA before he went to the UFC.”

LINK

Actually, Jackson fought several times in the cage w/ KOTC...that's where he got his start. While he may have made his name in Pride, the cage is not completely foreign to him.

Post #11   10/4/07 9:17:46AM   

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Chips:

Posted by twoguns365

Posted by aznteabagger

“I It is easy to throw a UFC label on Jackson because he is American. He only fought one fight in the cage with WFA before he went to the UFC.”

LINK

Actually, Jackson fought several times in the cage w/ KOTC...that's where he got his start. While he may have made his name in Pride, the cage is not completely foreign to him.

read the ******* article...i copied and pasted it from the site and i know jackson fought in KOTC...

Post #12   10/4/07 6:47:49PM