Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

More K-1 Chaos! (K-1 MAX 2007 finals - SPOILERS, you were warned!)

Print  
Posted By Message

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
My god, the results are in, I'm in shock to say the least!

Buakaw lost, I can't believe he lost! In the first bloody fight of the finals too!

He was too cocky, trying to box with Masato, apparently buying in to his own hype and believing he was invincible or something. Why he chose to try and beat Masato in a boxing match (Masato's best skill) is beyond me. He didn't use his super quick left kicks at all, nor did he use his teep kick. While a lot of MMA fans don't know it, since its rarely used in MMA and even in Muay Thai its often sold as a defensive kick, which it usually is, even using it to push the opponent away and keep them in the target zone for roundhouse kicks, a teep to the leg hurts, and can break a leg, a teep to the abdomen or a teep to the head can win fights. Buakaw's teeps are some of the best I've seen, and he hardly used them. Crazy. He looked very tenative after getting downed in the first round, he never came back. Hopefully the loss will do him good, it will remind him that while he has the potential to devastate everyone else at 154lbs he still needs to fight his hardest, no matter who he is up against.

"Iron" Mike Zambidis went out in his first fight too, can't say I'm too surprised. He has a lot of fans since he makes a good HL reel, but he is a mediocre fighter next to guys like Buakaw, Yodsaenklai and Saenchai Sor Kingstar. He proved his mediocrity by getting taken out, he lost a decision, he just isn't well rounded enough. He has fast, heavy hands, but his combination choices arent top drawer. I often see him wasting punches or looking for the big shot to end it. Back to the drawing board for Mike.

Kraus looked good, Souwer looked great, I'm so disappointed we didn't get to see a Pramuk / Souwer final, imagine what that could have been like. Souwer and Pramuk now hold 2 MAX GPs each, though Buakaw still holds a win over Souwer, but since Souwer just won this most recent GP the playing field is pretty even between them at the moment. Maybe next year eh lads?

Still so shocked about Buakaw getting taken out though, by his big rival Masato. Quite frankly, he embarressed Masato last time around, and I think he believed he could just walk out there and breeze into the finals. Alas it was not to be. At least he is young, there is always next year!

Hopefully next year we will get to see Buakaw take out Zambidis in his first fight, and answer the question "Who wins out of Mike and Pramuk?", a question to which I think the answer is clearly Pramuk. Then hopefully he will take out Souwer in the 2nd fight, and then in the final go up against Masato again. To see him take out Masato in another final would just be beautiful.

What a crazy year for K-1!

Post #1   10/3/07 6:21:47PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,549-1,359
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
How did Bonjasky do

Post #2   10/3/07 6:33:35PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
K-1 MAX (Middleweight Artistic Xtreme) - 154lbs

This is the middle weight GP, the Open weight gp (aka the HW GP, as only HWs ever win, commonly reffered to as the K-1 GP) only opened the other day, the final for the K-1 GP is December 8th I think.

Post #3   10/3/07 6:37:21PM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
by the sounds of it Buakaw didn't show up in his regular form

Good for Souwer i like him, I have to see the KO of Drago

Post #4   10/4/07 7:18:53AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
I'm sure Buakaw's fitness was not to fault, and his technique looked good when he used it, his hands have definitely improved, but not as much as they think he has. It's a shame because he has the tools and the conditioning to beat every in MAX but he just got cocky, believed that he was superhuman. He will watch the tapes, look at his attitude and all that and come back even stronger next year.

Buakaw for K-1 MAX champ 2008!

Post #5   10/4/07 9:15:10AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
i was thinking along the same lines he started to believe the hype, i am sure he will come back stronger then ever.
I have yet to see hopefully i will get to watch it tonight

Post #6   10/4/07 9:46:47AM   

DWBTDOM

Learning to Sprawl

DWBTDOM Avatar

Career:503-294
Camp: TEAM NEANDERCORE
Chips:
It was a great night of fights. If you missed any of the GP fights please check out the link below.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x62i2_dwbtdom_k1-world-max-final-2007

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #7   10/4/07 5:15:54PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Rediculous. More Masato hype...

Post #8   10/4/07 8:21:57PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Masato hype? If anything he is underrated, after Buakaw showed him up the first time everything thought Masato was a paper champ, wasnt worth anything next to Pramuk. Granted Buakaw is by far the better fighter when he is on his game, but Masato proved that he can still hang with the best, and were it not for the damage that Buakaw inflicted on him with leg kicks in the opening fight, Masato might well have beaten Souwer and taken the GP.

Post #9   10/5/07 9:32:24AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by cmill21

Masato hype? If anything he is underrated, after Buakaw showed him up the first time everything thought Masato was a paper champ, wasnt worth anything next to Pramuk. Granted Buakaw is by far the better fighter when he is on his game, but Masato proved that he can still hang with the best, and were it not for the damage that Buakaw inflicted on him with leg kicks in the opening fight, Masato might well have beaten Souwer and taken the GP.

All I hear from Japan is Masato(because he's japanese). Don't get me wrong Masato's a great fighter, I just don't think he's as good as the Japanese think he is.

Post #10   10/6/07 1:28:26AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
Obviously the Japanese will love Masato because he is Japanese, but right now, Buakaw seems just as popular, if not more popular than Masato right now. Certainly, it's Buakaw who is on the bulk of the promo videos, posters etc, in the past it was Masato.

As for Masato being overrated, his resume speaks for itself...

All Japan Kickboxing Federation Welterweight champion
I.S.K.A. World Oriental Welterweight champion
2002 K-1 World Max Japan Champion
2002 K-1 World Max Third Place
2003 K-1 World Max Japan Champion
2003 K-1 World Max Champion
2004 K-1 World Max Finalist
2007 K-1 World Max Finalist

1 fight in K-1, 30 fights in K-1 MAX, 27 wins, 3 losses, 1 draw.

Notable wins;

Duane Ludwig
Genki Sudo
Kozo Takeda
Mike Zambidis (twice)
Albert Kraus (twice)
Serkan Yilmaz (a "name" but not the best fighter)
Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto
Ole Laurson
Buakaw Por Pramuk

His losses arent bad losses either, he only lost to the top guys

Kraus
Buakaw Por Pramuk
Andy Souwer

and of course a draw with Kraus. He is a class below Souwer, and he is isn't even close to as good as Buakaw can be, but he is one of the top guys, love him or hate him he certainly has talent.

Post #11   10/6/07 6:47:32PM