Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

An interview with Josh Barnett.

Print  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Inside the Cage with the Babyfaced Assassin, Josh Barnett.

Post #1   10/3/07 12:50:26PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Bleh.

Post #2   10/3/07 1:52:35PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I just don't understand how Dana White can have the best MMA promotion in the world and not sign 2 of the top 5 heavyweights...

Post #3   10/3/07 1:59:24PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by waylon_o

I just don't understand how Dana White can have the best MMA promotion in the world and not sign 2 of the top 5 heavyweights...

i agree with u on that. however, i don't understand how barnett is still in the top five. i mean he hasn't fought in an mma match in like 10 months, and that fight was a loss to nog. i like barnett, but i just don't understand why so many mma fans stick by him and praise him. i don't see him as better than couture, fedor, nog, gonzaga or even sylvia. he hasn't done anything lately ...so why should he still be in the spotlight. plz if anyone could give me a little insight on why he is still regarded so high, i would appreciate it b/c im just lost.

Post #4   10/3/07 2:28:56PM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
He acted like he doesn't want to fight in the UFC, but if asked to come by Dana, I believe he might come. However, you'd think he'd have already been asked. He's one of the top-5 HW's in the world. It just doesn't make sense to me why he isn't fighting Randy or any other HW in the UFC. It sucks.

Post #5   10/3/07 2:39:11PM   

rockernhb

Learning to Sprawl

rockernhb Avatar

Career:225-132
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Barnett and Fedor need to do this already...

Post #6   10/3/07 3:20:06PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:
can somebody please alliterate on why they think barnett is still one of the top 5 HWs in the world?

Post #7   10/3/07 5:16:42PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I agree with dropping him a couple of places, but he would still easily be top10, and I don't see how you can make the argument that Gonzaga and Sylvia should be ranked above him since Gonzaga hasn't beaten anyone close to the top10 other than a fading crocop and sylvia's last fight was also a loss which took place only 2 months after barnett's... If you're going to play the inactivity card for one, you've got to play it for the other. Despite his inactivity he's never lost to anyone outside of the top5 at any given point in time. His only losses were to rizzo when he was top5, crocop when he was at the peak of his career, and bignog who has been consistently ranked in the top3 for many years.

I'd agree that inactivity might warrant a drop of a couple places, but he's still easily top10, and I would say he might even squeeze in to the bottom of the top5.

Post #8   10/3/07 6:03:39PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I agree with dropping him a couple of places, but he would still easily be top10, and I don't see how you can make the argument that Gonzaga and Sylvia should be ranked above him since Gonzaga hasn't beaten anyone close to the top10 other than a fading crocop and sylvia's last fight was also a loss which took place only 2 months after barnett's... If you're going to play the inactivity card for one, you've got to play it for the other. Despite his inactivity he's never lost to anyone outside of the top5 at any given point in time. His only losses were to rizzo when he was top5, crocop when he was at the peak of his career, and bignog who has been consistently ranked in the top3 for many years.

I'd agree that inactivity might warrant a drop of a couple places, but he's still easily top10, and I would say he might even squeeze in to the bottom of the top5.

Agree!

Barnett is still a top ten,and I believe he will continue to be in the top ten if he starts racking up some more fights soon.

Post #9   10/3/07 6:13:19PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

i think he is still top 10...but i don't know...i just can't put him in the top 5. you made extremely valid points and i respect your opinion greatly, i een agree with you with alot of your points, but i just can't put him in the top 5. i know sylvia has also been inactive for a while, but his last loss was to randy couture and he is the most recent former HW champ. i put barnett at 6 because i really don't think deserves top 5; neither does Tim sylvia really but he was champion of the best league iin the business recently so i guess thats why i am subconscience putting him ahead of barnett.

Post #10   10/3/07 6:45:22PM   

jgordon85

MMA Regular

jgordon85 Avatar

Career:1,755-1,161
Camp: Team Twisted
Chips:
i think the only reason why barnett is not in the ufc or looking to go into the ufc is because he does not like dana white and dana white does not like him. white said in a interview that he does not like guys like that(barnett). when barnett tested postivie for steriods white did not like that either. white said that barnett does not represent the ufc good at all and would rather let him do his own thing.

Post #11   10/3/07 6:56:33PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

tito has never lost to anybody cept chuck and randy and he's beat some top ranked guys in the past. Do i think tito should be top 5? To be ranked in the top5, you need to be beating current top competition. I think the rankings should be based on what you've accomplished recently (2yrs). Kongo and Gonzaga beat cro cop, should they be rated above him? No. But if either beats another top 5, then definately yes. Screw the resume, you are ranked for how you perform now, not how you performed in the past, or what ur nuthuggers think you're capable of.

Barnett deserves to be on the top10, but if he doesnt beat anybody real within the next year (if ur not with the ufc its not gonna be easy), then you dont deserve a spot in the top10

I'm gonna throw it out there, if fedor doesnt fight anybody in the next 2 years, then he doesnt deserve his number1 spot. Your ignorant if you think that this sport isnt growing and that the levels and abilities of these fighters arent improving. In 2 years, vera could be the defending ufc hw champ and if fedor still hasnt fought, i would rate vera above him.

Last edited 10/3/07 7:08PM server time by wapttn
Edit note/reason: typo, delete quote

Post #12   10/3/07 7:00:17PM