Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Favorite movies.

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

sfhdsa

Learning to Sprawl

sfhdsa Avatar

Career:41-29
Chips:
So there are already threads on music, video games and tv shows and unless I'm mistaken not one on movies.

Having said that here's my top 5:

Pulp Fiction
Army of Darkness
The Life Aquatic
The Exorcist
and a toss up between American History X and Fight club

Honourable mention going to Cannibal Holocaust

Post #1   2/6/07 12:12:48AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,441-893
Chips:
Gataca
Fight Club
Tombstone
Salaire de la Peur (Wages of Fear) - weird old French movie by Clouzot

Need to see Life Aquatic now

Post #2   2/6/07 12:45:39AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Tombstone
Open Range
Gladiator
13th Warrior
Braveheart
Beowulf & Grendel

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   2/6/07 1:36:47AM   

-NewBreed-

MMA Playground Writer

-NewBreed- Avatar

Career:11-6
Chips:
Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
Gladiator

Post #4   2/6/07 1:10:44PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
pulp Fiction
apocolypse now
caddyshack
old school
braveheart

Post #5   2/6/07 1:23:18PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Dirty Dozen
Devils Brigade
Bloodsport
Lionheart
A few Good Men
Bon Cop Bad Cop

Post #6   2/6/07 2:22:26PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Was going to start this thread at some point.

I did some write ups for films for friends just for jokes a while ago. You will have to excuse some references as nobody will get them because it's banter about school friends, eg Johnny Keyworth always fainted when he saw blood in biology. Anybody who is actually anygood at writing or knows much about these films and would like to give some feedback, that would be cool. Anybody who hasn't seen them go watch.

Irreversible.

This is one of the most disturbingly violent and graphic films i've ever seen so it problims not for the Johnny Keyworths in the world. I almost feel bad letting anybody know that this film exists due to certain scenes, when things are simply taken too far.

French film, and it has the geezer from Oceans 12 and La Haine, Vincent Cassel and thedrop dead gorgeous Monica 'I can't look at you the same anymore' Belluci (matrix, Passion of the jew)

This is filmed back to front, starts at the end, finishes at the beginning, adding even more to the confusion of the film being in French.

Sickening or not the final scenes are carefully chosen word, brave. Putting a nine minute, uniterrupted rape scene into a film tends not to be a great idea for most directors and as I, I won't be suprised if you just turned away and stopped watching.

There is alot of focus on the impact of situations, reaction to peoples actions and the necessity for retribution and this is glorified by the work that the Gaspar Noe and the producers have out in to make such a intriguing and poweful film. CGI is used VERY effectively in the scene that I will only describe to you as Pork Pie Head scene, again turn away for those who don't like graphic stuff, as this again is minging.

There are seemingly quite a few decent French films out there, and i'll probably wirte up La Haine and Amelie when I get the time, this is one of the best of them in terms of originality and cinematography and the film really is a good cinema experience, albeit shocking.

Post #7   2/6/07 2:23:54PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Sympathy for Lady Vengence

This film is ******* brilliant, it's pretty gory yet visually it is stunning and you can tell alot of work has gone into the directing, placement, sound, colouring and such, there's no suprise it has won some major awards in a few different countries. The cast is brilliant Lee Young An is the lady on the front page of the group and i've only seen one of her other films but a) she's gorgeous and b) did an amazing job of the 'lady' who is seemingly on a total headfuck throughout. She's also been in Invitation but only a handful of other films and i've got no idea what they are.

Cho Min-sik plays the bad guy, and he is possibly one of the best actors around, very diverse actor and you will recognise him if you are familiar with Oldboy or Taegukgi as he plays the lead in both those films too. There are similarities and it won't take James Hill to work out that it's Park Chan-wook who directs, this being the second of three in his 'Vengeance Trilogy' Nutter.

The film itself, is like 90% of Asian films i've seen, seriously sexually depraved, yet don't worry it's no Irrevisble or anything on Dead or Alive. Other than that it is ******, the plot is just morally wrong yet it is ridden with complexity and it results in one gory yet powefully emotional scene. There were alot of parts of the film that moved me quite alot, for instance the scene with the families and the killer towards the end, the sound track's beautiful, and the cinematography is probably believe it or not year eleven english better than Schindlers List. That's an outlandish statement and I take it back, but it's seriously really good.

If you watch this film, it will leave you disgusted, intrigued, shocked, sick, excited, sad, or generally just going 'so who was she and who did that and what did this etc'. Korean subtitles but the subtitles do alot to complement the film and without the traditional speech the performances would be severely diminished.

Post #8   2/6/07 2:26:16PM   

BrAeDeN91

MMA Regular

BrAeDeN91 Avatar

Career:42-30
Camp: ricco rodriguez and the sundance kids
Chips:
Crank, napolean dynamite, happy gilmore, fast and the furious, 40 year old virgin.

Post #9   2/6/07 5:22:11PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by nate22

Was going to start this thread at some point.

I did some write ups for films for friends just for jokes a while ago. You will have to excuse some references as nobody will get them because it's banter about school friends, eg Johnny Keyworth always fainted when he saw blood in biology. Anybody who is actually anygood at writing or knows much about these films and would like to give some feedback, that would be cool. Anybody who hasn't seen them go watch.

Irreversible.

This is one of the most disturbingly violent and graphic films i've ever seen so it problims not for the Johnny Keyworths in the world. I almost feel bad letting anybody know that this film exists due to certain scenes, when things are simply taken too far.

French film, and it has the geezer from Oceans 12 and La Haine, Vincent Cassel and thedrop dead gorgeous Monica 'I can't look at you the same anymore' Belluci (matrix, Passion of the jew)

This is filmed back to front, starts at the end, finishes at the beginning, adding even more to the confusion of the film being in French.

Sickening or not the final scenes are carefully chosen word, brave. Putting a nine minute, uniterrupted rape scene into a film tends not to be a great idea for most directors and as I, I won't be suprised if you just turned away and stopped watching.

There is alot of focus on the impact of situations, reaction to peoples actions and the necessity for retribution and this is glorified by the work that the Gaspar Noe and the producers have out in to make such a intriguing and poweful film. CGI is used VERY effectively in the scene that I will only describe to you as Pork Pie Head scene, again turn away for those who don't like graphic stuff, as this again is minging.

There are seemingly quite a few decent French films out there, and i'll probably wirte up La Haine and Amelie when I get the time, this is one of the best of them in terms of originality and cinematography and the film really is a good cinema experience, albeit shocking.

Admit it you only watched it because you get to see Bellucci naked .. She's truly amazing. But yeah "Irreversible" is okay but a little too ..not intense (gimme a word? slow?) for my taste.

I like american not very complex movies like
Road to Perdition
Identity
Big Fish
Crash

oh almost forgot... and Dude where's my car. Norweigan gays kick ass.

Post #10   2/6/07 6:10:35PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
1. Snatch
2. (tie) Nightmare Before Christmas/ Beetlejuice. I have four Tim Burton inspired tattoos.
3. Cannibal: The Musical
4. The Omen
5. Evil Dead 2

I could name about 100 more but these are the first to pop in my head without going to look at my dvd collection.

Post #11   2/6/07 6:41:39PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
im a huge fan of the saw trilogy.

Post #12   2/6/07 7:06:19PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
nate22, you're awsome. iv'e seen all of these movies. in fact all i watch on dvd are mma and horror movies. even the cheesey, crappy ones and i love all the japanese horror movies. a lot of them are morally wrong
also, hostil, saws, high tension

Last edited 2/6/07 7:43PM server time by JunCTion
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   2/6/07 7:35:20PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
i just got done watching "unknown" it was awsome

Post #14   2/7/07 1:23:44AM   

sfhdsa

Learning to Sprawl

sfhdsa Avatar

Career:41-29
Chips:

Posted by JunCTion

nate22, you're awsome. iv'e seen all of these movies. in fact all i watch on dvd are mma and horror movies. even the cheesey, crappy ones and i love all the japanese horror movies. a lot of them are morally wrong
also, hostil, saws, high tension

I forgot to mention High Tension, fantastic movie.

Another one worth mention was 9 songs.

From imdb.com:

"Matt, a young glaciologist, soars across the vast, silent, icebound immensities of the South Pole as he recalls his love affair with Lisa. They meet at a mobbed rock concert in a vast music hall--London's Brixton Academy. They are in bed at night's end. Together, over a period of several months, they pursue a mutual sexual passion whose inevitable stages unfold in counterpoint to nine live-concert songs."

VERY graphic sex scenes. And pretty decent concert footage if you like Indie rock.

Post #15   2/7/07 2:36:50AM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>