Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Arum: Pavlik Win Bad For UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
In a recent interview with BoxingScene.com's Jose Aguirre, promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank said that WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik will lead the way to boxing's revival and his knockout win over Jermain Taylor is the biggest blow that the UFC has suffered to date.

Article

He also added "There is nothing in UFC or any of this martial arts bulls*** that compares to this." I believe the appropriate quote here is "them's fightin' words".

Last edited 10/1/07 2:49PM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: Fixed title
2 total post edits

Post #1   10/1/07 2:32:44PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:

thats is so funny id love him to try in fight in mma he would not last 1 rd

Post #2   10/1/07 2:43:05PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,834-1,785
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This guy is just like Floyd...all talk. Floyd didn't dared to get in the cage with Sherk when Dana stated that he would like to make it happen after the bs that Floyd was talkin'. I don't think this guy is any different. Just talkin crap to get some hype, he wouldn't back it up though!! No Way would he step into a cage with any decent MW from UFC!!!!

Post #3   10/1/07 2:51:09PM   

pinoymixplaya

MMA Regular

pinoymixplaya Avatar

Career:296-200
Chips:
There is a big difference between boxing and MMA, such as between football and rugby....but MMA is more exciting to watch, there is no denying. I am a huge fan of both, but in terms of technique and entertainment, MMA is much more. Plus, a boxing PPV is $50 to watch one fight, where a $40 UFC PPV can be for every fight on the card.......

Post #4   10/1/07 2:57:16PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i hate when boxing guys bash mma and the ufc. boxing is a great sport, but in my opinion it doesn't really compare to mma. plus, ufc isn't stealing boxing's audience, it is more so drawing from pro wrestling fans and people of that nature. i think that this comment is proof that boxing is getting desperate and that it is in its end stage of popularity.

Post #5   10/1/07 3:03:28PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
that's hilarious.

I love boxing but i hate when people make comments like that.

Post #6   10/1/07 3:15:25PM   

m0nk3y

Learning to Sprawl

m0nk3y Avatar

Career:65-48
Chips:
comments like that only alienate the fans who enjoy both sports.
it's an insult to the millions who enjoy mma.
millions and still growing.

Post #7   10/1/07 3:18:27PM   

Natedogg42

MMA Regular

Natedogg42 Avatar

Career:235-99
Camp: Drunkin' Brawlers
Chips:
Sounds like this guy is just desperate for attention. I used to enjoy boxing but ever sense they started this beef with MMA I can't stand it. It just seems so stupid now that I think about it. Yeah, let's stand in a ring and punch each other silly. Oh, and if you get a slight concussion, no worries, take ten seconds to get yourself together so you can take more blows to the head.

I won't even go into entertainment value, there's no contest, MMA reigns supreme!

Post #8   10/1/07 3:23:23PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Boxing is boring..... and thats all i have to say about that

Post #9   10/1/07 4:03:29PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Theres nothing to say about this that everyone else hasnt said..... I ******* hate the haters

Post #10   10/1/07 4:44:11PM   

Brutalknees

Learning to Sprawl

Brutalknees Avatar

Career:801-522
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
I like boxing, or used to like boxing, but it's not comparable to MMA.

The style is too one-dimensional to me now. I have been watching both since 2000, and I used to get entertained by both, but now I look at boxing and it isn't what I want anymore.

I look at the pauses in the action in boxing and I get bored. I look at how when one guy is beat his only options are to hang in there and survive to a dec, hope for a lucky punch, or just get flat out owned, and I think about how MMA is so much different and better in that aspect.

MMA has spoiled me with longer rounds too, I can't look at boxers go at it for 1:30 and think it's still exciting anymore.

Even the names aren't there anymore I know a few recognizable boxers, but most new fighters aren't showing anything to get excited over.

I could go on, but I won't bother, instead I'll close.

Pavlik's win isn't doing anything to the UFC or MMA, good or bad. Boxing analysts, boxers and boxing promoters need to realize that the reason that MMA is more entertaining, and that slinging insults and claiming every good fight they make is going "To End MMA" they need to:

1) put together good fights
2) limit the number of orgs
3) unify some belts
4) build up some up and comers
5) stop ripping people on the PPVs

Post #11   10/1/07 5:04:58PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
When I thought about this more after I posed it, one thing that came to my mind was sometime in the last year (I think) when another boxer, I think it was Floyd Mayweather Jr., also called out some MMA guys and a couple of them actually fired back. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Floyd explicitly called out Liddell by name and really talked a lot of smack about him. While this is all fun to listen to and I wouldn't mind seeing some of these happen, I think it also does show how desperate boxing has become recently, not only for the attention it's losing to MMA in general but to also try and market a new generation of up-and-coming fighters as the old guard prepares to leave the ring for good.

Post #12   10/1/07 5:10:06PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,378-1,590
Chips:
I love boxing! I have been watching since the early 1970's as a kid!
Comments like those from the boxing community show FEAR.
I believe the boxing community knows the inevitable is happening.
Boxing has become incorporated into MMA.
Boxing is vanilla ice cream, MMA is a banana split...if you get my point.
Boxing will eventually become like sport Judo, or similar "competition" or "exhibition" events.
Of course this is just one man's opinion!

Post #13   10/1/07 5:11:58PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
Joe Rogan said it best to a prominent boxing promoter during an interview/argument on ESPN. He said boxing is being swallowed by MMA and that there are NO new young stars in boxing. All the stars are well past there prime and on the verge of retireing. Arum is trying to say Kelly Pavlick is the next big thing and he is going to bring everyone back to boxing. Kelly is really good but this kids success is not going to destroy MMA-thats ridiculous. I love boxing, well actually I love good boxing with fighters I recoginze. Boxing is losing to MMA and boxing people know it. I will admit that some MMA fights can look like a bad boxing match-example-Alovski vs. Silvia 3. One of my boxing friends says Chuck LIddell is nothing more than a bad boxer and honestly thats what he did look like in his last fight with JArdine but Chuck just won't change his game. Chuck is a good wrestler he just wants to KO people. Congrats to Kelly Pavlick on a great victory but boxers would get owned in an MMA fight against a well rounded MMA fighter and I think most people know that.

Post #14   10/1/07 6:37:22PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
im a huge fan of boxing

this fight wasn't that big for the world of boxing, im not gonna become a big pavlik fan and order every ppv he has coming out now that hes the champ

in fact i would i would be still be quicker to order a ppv with jermaine taylor rather then pavlik

Post #15   10/2/07 6:00:47AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2