Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Coughlin On the PRIDE vs. UFC "Battle"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Following Forrest Griffin’s surprising third round submission of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, much of the talk in the MMA world has once again centered around the question of which promotion was better, that is, which company had better fighters: PRIDE or the UFC. As far as pointless debates go, this is a good one.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   9/29/07 11:33:58AM   

billieskeet

Learning to Sprawl

Career:91-43
Camp: Boxden GNP
Chips:
pride and ufc nuthuggers alike need to read this

Post #2   9/29/07 11:59:53AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by billieskeet

pride and ufc nuthuggers alike need to read this

Mike Coughlin (the author) is a friend of Sweep the Leg, and will be appearing every now and again to break down the fight cards with Brett and Steve. Just another reason to listen!

Post #3   9/29/07 1:28:06PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
good post

but one thing that still needs to be considered is that if you take two identical fighters (of which there are none), both with equal careers, and have one comming from pride and one comming from ufc.. if you throw the two of them in the octagon, the ufc fighter has the advantage.

Post #4   9/29/07 2:23:37PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

good post

but one thing that still needs to be considered is that if you take two identical fighters (of which there are none), both with equal careers, and have one comming from pride and one comming from ufc.. if you throw the two of them in the octagon, the ufc fighter has the advantage.

Dude, there is no equation... there is no formula to find out who will win. It doesnt matter how past Pride guys have done. EACH FIGHT/FIGHTER WILL BE DIFFERENT.

Give up the "UFC clearly has an advantage" crap, because it holds no water whatsoever.

Sorry. No matter how many times you throw Shogun/Griffin or CroCop/Kongo in my face, it wont happen EVERY time.

You wont convince me that if Fedor entered the Octagon, he wouldnt have a clear advantage over ANYONE that he faces.

Post #5   9/29/07 3:46:04PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

good post

Of course the UFC fighter would have the advantage, he is use to the octagon. But if you take those same "identical fighters" and put them in a ring, the one from pride would have the advantage. There is nothing to consider in your statement. The ring is different than the octagon. So someone with no experience in an octagon has a disadvantage fighting in the U.F.C. and visa versa. DUH!

Post #6   9/29/07 7:24:52PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,177-636
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is a very good read.

Post #7   9/29/07 7:30:10PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
The article touches on some good points.I think you can go back even farther though to the beginning of PRIDE.When UFC fighters like Gary Goodrige were losing to PRIDES new elite fighters like Igor Vovchanzin and such.I think it kind of went from their with some gives and takes.

However,one thing I think a good portion of MMA fans would agree with, is that the majority of PRIDE fights seemed to be more exicting than UFC fights.I think this is probably due to the fact that a lot of the fighters up and coming in the UFC are heavly influenced by wrestling as opposed to muay thai,etc.

PRIDE would allow fighters to fight outside of their weight class.
PRIDE had tournements,and fighters would even fight more than once in one night.
PRIDE had grand entrances for the fighters.

I think all these things made PRIDE more dynamic and funner to watch.The fighters came offf looking like super heroes and it was a spectacale that was far from being equaled.

None of this means that fighters coming from the UFC were worse though.
I think people have the misconception of always putting it UFC VS PRIDE,when I believe in all reality we should probably be looking more at the fight camps instead of the promotion.

OKay I think i've rambled on enough.........................

Post #8   9/29/07 8:55:51PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:

Posted by decken

Posted by wapttn

good post

Of course the UFC fighter would have the advantage, he is use to the octagon. But if you take those same "identical fighters" and put them in a ring, the one from pride would have the advantage. There is nothing to consider in your statement. The ring is different than the octagon. So someone with no experience in an octagon has a disadvantage fighting in the U.F.C. and visa versa. DUH!

I agree with you completely, but there are people who continue to discount the advantage (such as the post above yours). I think that shogun/griffin crocop/kongo were decided by factors other than the difference in rules and rings, but i think that the differences are notable if not noticable. There is no substitute for experience. I'd happily bet on randy vs any pride HW in the ring (fedor excluded), experience in the ufc and a gameplan to expoit it is an advantage that you cant deny

Last edited 9/30/07 12:03AM server time by wapttn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   9/29/07 10:49:23PM   

rlr

Learning to Sprawl

Career:160-95
Chips:
good read

Post #10   9/30/07 12:23:36AM   

MaxUFC

Learning to Sprawl

MaxUFC Avatar

Career:1,624-1,318
Chips:
I am looking forward : no more debate of PrideFC vs UFC in 2008. If anyone still debate on PrideFC vs UFC then it is like Ruth vs Bonds or Lebon vs Jordan are endless debae to me.

Last edited 9/30/07 2:13AM server time by MaxUFC
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   9/30/07 2:12:47AM   

HulkRage

Standup Guy

HulkRage Avatar

Career:1,211-825
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:

Posted by MaxUFC

I am looking forward : no more debate of PrideFC vs UFC in 2008. If anyone still debate on PrideFC vs UFC then it is like Ruth vs Bonds or Lebon vs Jordan are endless debae to me.

full agree. End this debate in '08, End this debate in '08......

Post #12   9/30/07 7:29:12PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Nick diaz had said this time and time again......its way easier fighting in a ring than the octagon.

Post #13   10/1/07 1:51:49AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
did he say why?

Post #14   10/1/07 3:25:58PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Maybe this should be a pinned topic and a must read before you can join MMAPlayground

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #15   10/1/07 5:02:30PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2