Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is there a demand for Nick Diaz in the UFC?

Print  
Is there a demand for Nick Diaz in the UFC?
Yes 75 82%
No 16 18%
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
nick is a guy who always puts on a good show because he has heart and skill. he has burned some bridges because of that chip on his shoulder and his "punk" mentality. but of couse there is demand for nick he has a big fan base and is a top 10 fighter

Post #31   10/1/07 8:06:59AM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:

Posted by Azzkiker

Ive noticed people tend to like the ultimate fighter guys. Its weird

nick isnt an ultimate fighter thats his brother nate

Post #32   10/1/07 8:09:06AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by Rush
...That being said, I will not ignore the fact that he is a more capable and exciting fighter than most out there. I do not like his stance on pot, but in all honesty I have to respect him for openly taking his lumps when he got caught.

Some may argue that in his position, he should not be condoning the use of illegal substances. However, I look at this differently for pot than steroids.

To me, the people that smoke pot will smoke it regardless of whether an athlete does it and that is because most people believe that pot has no performance enhancing effects (per se). I don't see someone thinking, hey that fighter is really talented/strong/ or whatever, and he smokes pot. That means I can be like that by smoking pot.

Do you have kids? I suspect not... I don't want to give my kids the talk about drugs, and have it be destroyed by some idiot on TV talking about how it's ok to smoke pot.

Posted by Rush
...With all that being said, I say there is a demand for Nick Diaz in the UFC. If the UFC wants to be the top org out there then they demand the best fighters in the world. Diaz is a top fighter right now...

Can you elaborate on that? IMO Diaz is not a top fighter, and he should be begging for the UFC, not the other way around.

Post #33   10/1/07 11:05:37AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by TNunley
Do you have kids? I suspect not... I don't want to give my kids the talk about drugs, and have it be destroyed by some idiot on TV talking about how it's ok to smoke pot.

Expecting one next spring. But then again, they wouldn't be watching a UFC event for a while. Alos, I don't remember Nick talking about pot on TV or at UFC events. I only heard him talking about them on internet radio shows. I can't understand half of what comes out of the guys mouth anyways.

Can you elaborate on that? IMO Diaz is not a top fighter, and he should be begging for the UFC, not the other way around.

Well, as I said, I don't like the guy, but I am willing to give credit where it is due

Nick's accolades:
Won IFC United States Welterweight Title
Defended IFC United States Welterweight Title
Won WEC Welterweight Title

15 wins and 6 losses
12/15 wins are by TKO/Ko or Sub. (one win via decision was due to an alleged staph infection)
All losses (save one) were by decision and his 4 UFC losses were against top UFC fighters (at the time). His one loss by TKO (Jeremy Jackson) was avenged later, twice.

So yeah, that's why I think he's one of the top 10 WWs in MMA right now and why he should be in the UFC.

Post #34   10/1/07 1:27:00PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by Rush
...That being said, I will not ignore the fact that he is a more capable and exciting fighter than most out there. I do not like his stance on pot, but in all honesty I have to respect him for openly taking his lumps when he got caught.

Some may argue that in his position, he should not be condoning the use of illegal substances. However, I look at this differently for pot than steroids.

To me, the people that smoke pot will smoke it regardless of whether an athlete does it and that is because most people believe that pot has no performance enhancing effects (per se). I don't see someone thinking, hey that fighter is really talented/strong/ or whatever, and he smokes pot. That means I can be like that by smoking pot.

Posted by Rush
...With all that being said, I say there is a demand for Nick Diaz in the UFC. If the UFC wants to be the top org out there then they demand the best fighters in the world. Diaz is a top fighter right now...

I have a kid and I smoke weed. Don't knock someone for their personal lifestyle because you don't agree with it. Many people feel, including doctors, feel marijuana has many positive attritbutes. Besides, is Sean Sherk a bad dad because he does steriods, a drug that is far more harmful than weed?

Post #35   10/1/07 2:29:05PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Expecting one next spring. But then again, they wouldn't be watching a UFC event for a while. Alos, I don't remember Nick talking about pot on TV or at UFC events. I only heard him talking about them on internet radio shows. I can't understand half of what comes out of the guys mouth anyways.

Congrats... but you'd be surprised what kids can find nowadays. With internet and the public school bus...

Posted by Rush
Well, as I said, I don't like the guy, but I am willing to give credit where it is due

Nick's accolades:
Won IFC United States Welterweight Title
Defended IFC United States Welterweight Title
Won WEC Welterweight Title

15 wins and 6 losses
12/15 wins are by TKO/Ko or Sub. (one win via decision was due to an alleged staph infection)
All losses (save one) were by decision and his 4 UFC losses were against top UFC fighters (at the time). His one loss by TKO (Jeremy Jackson) was avenged later, twice.

So yeah, that's why I think he's one of the top 10 WWs in MMA right now and why he should be in the UFC.

You make a good point, and I appreciate you giving your logic behind it, instead of just stating your opinion with nothing to back it up.

Last edited 10/1/07 4:21PM server time by tnunley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #36   10/1/07 4:21:27PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kaduey
I have a kid and I smoke weed.....

Well that's your problem... not mine.

Posted by kaduey
Don't knock someone for their personal lifestyle because you don't agree with it. Many people feel, including doctors, feel marijuana has many positive attritbutes. Besides, is Sean Sherk a bad dad because he does steriods, a drug that is far more harmful than weed?

I didn't knock someone for their personal lifestyle, but any athlete who uses any banned substance and pisses and moans about how it's not bad for you, and all the benefits of it or whatever he may have said is worthless in my opinion. If he wants to do that in his spare time then that's his prerogative, but it's banned for a reason.

As far as steroids and weed... unless you actually have test studies that shows steroids are more harmful than weed... then that argument holds no weight. Many people,... including many doctors, feel steroids have positive attributes as well. Doesn't make it any more or less dangerous. I never said Sean Sherk was a bad dad... or Nick Diaz was a bad dad... did Sean Sherk broadcast himself talking about how great steroids are for you, and they shouldn't be banned.... didn't think so.

Post #37   10/1/07 4:31:01PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

I didn't knock someone for their personal lifestyle, but any athlete who uses any banned substance and pisses and moans about how it's not bad for you, and all the benefits of it or whatever he may have said is worthless in my opinion. If he wants to do that in his spare time then that's his prerogative, but it's banned for a reason.

As far as steroids and weed... unless you actually have test studies that shows steroids are more harmful than weed... then that argument holds no weight. Many people,... including many doctors, feel steroids have positive attributes as well. Doesn't make it any more or less dangerous. I never said Sean Sherk was a bad dad... or Nick Diaz was a bad dad... did Sean Sherk broadcast himself talking about how great steroids are for you, and they shouldn't be banned.... didn't think so.

I want to meet these doctors and give them a good slap across the face.

Pot is picked off a plant that nobody has messed with or added chemicals too. Period. Enough said.

What is in steroids? Does anyone know?

I don't but I bet there is a whole lot of chemicals and unnatural shit in steroids that messes up your body. ('Roid rage, etc., etc.)

While pot is a plant that makes you high, then makes you hungry, then makes you sleepy.

If you abuse pot, just like anything else in life, it's bad for you. I know first hand. But I grew up and got over it. However I think if pot isn't abused, there is nothing wrong with smoking it. It's most likely more healthy for you than doing steroids, or even drinking alcohol.

Last edited 10/2/07 5:26PM server time by hook_tothe_body
Edit note/reason: spellin'
2 total post edits

Post #38   10/2/07 5:22:49PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:
I'm dying to see Nick Diaz back in the UFC.

I like well rounded fighters. Fighters that train everything equally on a regular basis. I understand that people train specifically for specific opponents, but how much jiu jitsu does Chuck Liddell train compared to kickboxing? Most likely not a lot. Diaz seems to train everything, all the time. And it shows.

I'm not saying I don't like watching one-dimensional fighters, or fighters that are really good at one thing and just okay at the other things (like Sean Sherk, for example.) Anyone can put on an entertaining fight. But when Diaz fights I know that he'll put on a good show regardless of wheather his opponent is going to try to box, or try to wrestle, or try to work ground and pound, or try to work jiu jitsu.

Nick Diaz can end a fight with strikes on his feet or on the ground, and he has great submission skills. Can you say the same thing about Chuck Liddell or Matt Hughes?

I'm tired of watching wrestle-based fighters who always try to take his opponent down and just try to stall out a decision, or work conservative ground and pound until they can secure a submission. I'm not saying that this isn't a good gameplan or anything, but when a wrestler does nothing else but this gameplan fight after fight it doesn't impress me. It bores the hell out of him.

I'll say it again: Sherk/Franca was a twenty five minute fight, but it felt like an hour.

I would love to see Liddell fight on the ground. Watching Chuck box is just getting boring. I want to see him do something else. I would love to see Hughes stand and bang. To his credit, Hughes tried this gameplan for a couple of fights, it just didn't work out for him.

To sum everything up ... yes, Diaz should be back in the UFC. The UFC needs more fighters who are good at stand up fighting and at ground fighting. It makes for some entertaining fights when two fighters are well rounded.

And I understand that more and more fighters are training everything and getting better at every aspect of MMA, but it's rare to find a black belt in jiu jitsu/professional boxer combination, like Nick Diaz.

Post #39   10/2/07 5:43:42PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by Rush

Posted by Rush

You should teach your kids not to believe everything they watch on TV, otherwise should they really be watching TV if they are that impressionable by it? I mean you are watching extreme violence.

Post #40   10/2/07 5:50:25PM   

LexLossis

Learning to Sprawl

LexLossis Avatar

Career:290-196
Chips:
yes, we would love him

Post #41   10/3/07 6:29:03PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by Rush

It is ok to smoke pot. Its ok to do anything that doesn't destroy your body. Im sorry if you're afraid to change your legal system

Last edited 10/3/07 6:48PM server time by mkiv9secsupra
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #42   10/3/07 6:47:35PM   

bezun

Banned

Career:146-107
Chips:
Once bj wins the lw title, they need to bring in diaz. Two bad ass black belts who like to throw. Word.

Post #43   10/4/07 1:35:32PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3