Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

8 reasons why Anderson Silva will crush Rich Franklin

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Career:910-552
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:

Posted by fullerene

^ If you think a belt means more than what someone actually does in competition you've drunk the martial arts Kool Aid. There's no universal testing standard for belts and even the better known schools tend to favor guys who are Brazilian and who work with the gi. If all Rich wanted was a black belt he'd have it easily, instead he's been focusing on MMA and submissions that work in that arena and that's been efffective. Silva has been submitted by guys who weren't black belts before

Like I said earlier, I've seen Rich as a blue belt almost 10 years ago...and this is a guy with a great work ethic and tons of athletic ability. He's going to school most guys who "have a black belt" unless they've competed extensively in submission tournaments.

I've heard that Silvas belt has been questioned its been thought he might of been on a bit of a fast track.

Post #31   10/1/07 9:22:48AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

DO we know rich can put him on his back? Every talks about the Lutter fight, but this is what it was: A dehydrated Lutter again a silva with TWO freshly Sugerically Repaired Knees. Of course anderson isn't gonna be as fast with those knees like that, as as such, he got taken down. That being said, even WITH those knees, he got that triangle against a world class grappler. Held in the triangle for a minute and a hlaf, WITH those knees, mind you.

That being said, It's to be seen whether Rich CAN get silva down. Rich has good wrestling, but it's not what he's known for. Plus, Rich has become primarily a stand up fighter and doesn't try for take downs alot. I agree, that's his best chance to win, but who knows if he can do it, or if he'll even try.

If Rich can pull this fight off, cool, more power to him. But I, for one, am not seeing it.

Ok, I think with what you said, you have explained my argument without even having to really say anything. You talk about how bad Silva's knees must have been affecting his game, and give that excuse for why he was taken down so easily, but... then you talk about how he got a triangle against a "world class grappler". Makes no sense IMO... if his knees were so bad that he couldn't move in time and got taken down by a fighter who you had to tape, and then fast forward at 4x just to see him move at normal speed because of his dehydration... there would have been no way he got him in a triangle. IMO his knees were fine, it's his TD defense that was at fault.

Post #32   10/1/07 10:45:26AM   

raindrops21

MMA Regular

raindrops21 Avatar

Career:233-107
Camp: KTFO
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by ChokeUout

DO we know rich can put him on his back? Every talks about the Lutter fight, but this is what it was: A dehydrated Lutter again a silva with TWO freshly Sugerically Repaired Knees. Of course anderson isn't gonna be as fast with those knees like that, as as such, he got taken down. That being said, even WITH those knees, he got that triangle against a world class grappler. Held in the triangle for a minute and a hlaf, WITH those knees, mind you.

That being said, It's to be seen whether Rich CAN get silva down. Rich has good wrestling, but it's not what he's known for. Plus, Rich has become primarily a stand up fighter and doesn't try for take downs alot. I agree, that's his best chance to win, but who knows if he can do it, or if he'll even try.

If Rich can pull this fight off, cool, more power to him. But I, for one, am not seeing it.

Ok, I think with what you said, you have explained my argument without even having to really say anything. You talk about how bad Silva's knees must have been affecting his game, and give that excuse for why he was taken down so easily, but... then you talk about how he got a triangle against a "world class grappler". Makes no sense IMO... if his knees were so bad that he couldn't move in time and got taken down by a fighter who you had to tape, and then fast forward at 4x just to see him move at normal speed because of his dehydration... there would have been no way he got him in a triangle. IMO his knees were fine, it's his TD defense that was at fault.

I agree with you totally. If you're going to blame the bad knees on the TD defense, then how did he manage to hold onto a triangle with two bad knees? I think the knee excuse is not true.

And Anderson has only one true submission victory (i.e. not from strikes) and it was against Travis Lutter.

I've already posted my keys to victory for both fighters in the Anderson Silva rematch thread. How about I do this?

5 Reasons why Rich Franklin will crush Anderson Silva

1) Rich is a cardio machine. We all know Rich can go 5 rounds at an extremely high pace. Silva has never had a 5 round fight go the distance.

2) Rich's wrestling is better than Silva's. I believe Rich can take Silva down and work some GnP for victory. Lutter took Silva down with ease, and Rich's wrestling is better than Lutters.

3) Rich has better submissions. Ok, Silva is a black belt, but do a little research and you'll see that many people question his BJJ black belt status because he was good friends with the Nogueira brothers. He hasn't shown a complete ground game, and he got completely outclassed on the ground by a natural welterweight in Takase. Don't forget his mount defense against Lutter. Awful.

4) Rich can win the stand-up if he avoids the clinch. Please, before you flame away, rewatch the last fight. Before Anderson snatches on the plum, Rich was working his strikes pretty effectively. He lands a nice punch to Silva that seems to have gotten Anderson's attention and he shakes his head like he's trying to clear the cobwebs out. He then rushes forward and locks in the clinch, we all know what happens after that. Rich will be ready for the clinch this time.

5) Gameplan. I think Rich will have a specific gameplan set up for Silva. He definitely knows what to expect this time around. Remember last time he thought he would outwork Silva in the clinch, turns out that wasn't the case. I think Anderson will be a little more relaxed this time and not expecting Rich to press the action.

Now, don't get me wrong. Silva is still the favorite in this fight. I would put the odds at 60/40. But, Franklin can definitely win this fight. He has the tools and it's just going to come down to how he puts them together. His best bet will be to work some strikes from the outside, a few leg kicks and such and then get a takedown. Work to pass the guard when Silva tries to push him off and improve position. Be ready when he gains mount for Silva to bring his long limbs up and hook his arms like he did to Lutter (whoever said he made a poor armbar attempt, he got pulled off by Silva's legs and tried to grab the arm as a last ditch effort).

Don't be so quick to dismiss Rich. I think he's got a pretty good chance to get the belt back.

Post #33   10/2/07 2:50:18PM   

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BerndRealBad

Posted by wagere

I agree with alot of this but, I don't think Silva is better than Rich on the ground, Rich has 9 subs compared to Silvas 3. Two of Silvas 4 losses have come by sub.

If you look at those 9 subs, 4 of them were due to strikes, something which anderson silva can easily accomplish, so I would say its more like 5 to 3. Still though, Silva subbed one of the best BJJ guys in MMA from his guard. Franklin can't say that he did that.

2 of Silvas subs are due to strikes

Post #34   10/2/07 2:57:18PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:

Posted by fullerene

^ If you think a belt means more than what someone actually does in competition you've drunk the martial arts Kool Aid. There's no universal testing standard for belts and even the better known schools tend to favor guys who are Brazilian and who work with the gi. If all Rich wanted was a black belt he'd have it easily, instead he's been focusing on MMA and submissions that work in that arena and that's been efffective. Silva has been submitted by guys who weren't black belts before

Like I said earlier, I've seen Rich as a blue belt almost 10 years ago...and this is a guy with a great work ethic and tons of athletic ability. He's going to school most guys who "have a black belt" unless they've competed extensively in submission tournaments.

I don't think a black belt is the end all say all in BJJ that is why I also referenced who Anderson trains with. The ones I mentioned don't include the guys he trained with at BTT where he was for years. Franklin has spent the majority of his learning of BJJ as Gurgel's star pupil. It is hard to learn when you are the best. Anderson on the other hand has learned by jumping in with the likes of Bustamantle, Arona, and the Nog twins. Of course he would be fast tracked. If he wasn't fast tracked he wouldn't survive.

All the speculation is garbage any way. Watch fights. Anderson has proved against top notch opponents his guard is very dangerous, and it is hard to keep him there. You see that when he faught world class grapplers in his past two matches against Nate and Travis. When is the last time you have seen Rich utilize BJJ or ground skills? Rivera? That was ages ago, and Rivera isn't a top notch grappler. Outside of that fight no one has really seen Rich submit anyone. Yes he has submission wins but they were in tiny shows against no bodies, so when you talk about them you are only speaking in speculation based on what Sherdog tells you took place.

My point is belt or no belt Anderson won his last fight against a great grappler in Nate Ma by GNP. His fight right before that he submitted a world class BJJ guy in Lutter. Do you really think he is going to lose to Franklin on the gound? Franklin isn't bad in that aspect, but it isn't his specialty.

Last edited 10/2/07 6:48PM server time by johny_rotten
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #35   10/2/07 6:39:52PM   

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Chips:

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by fullerene

I don't think a black belt is the end all say all in BJJ that is why I also referenced who Anderson trains with. The ones I mentioned don't include the guys he trained with at BTT where he was for years. Franklin has spent the majority of his learning of BJJ as Gurgel's star pupil. It is hard to learn when you are the best. Anderson on the other hand has learned by jumping in with the likes of Bustamantle, Arona, and the Nog twins. Of course he would be fast tracked. If he wasn't fast tracked he wouldn't survive.

All the speculation is garbage any way. Watch fights. Anderson has proved against top notch opponents his guard is very dangerous, and it is hard to keep him there. You see that when he faught world class grapplers in his past two matches against Nate and Travis. When is the last time you have seen Rich utilize BJJ or ground skills? Rivera? That was ages ago, and Rivera isn't a top notch grappler. Outside of that fight no one has really seen Rich submit anyone. Yes he has submission wins but they were in tiny shows against no bodies, so when you talk about them you are only speaking in speculation based on what Sherdog tells you took place.

My point is belt or no belt Anderson won his last fight against a great grappler in Nate Ma by GNP. His fight right before that he submitted a world class BJJ guy in Lutter. Do you really think he is going to lose to Franklin on the gound? Franklin isn't bad in that aspect, but it isn't his specialty.

Lutter is the only submission Silva has the other two subs were from strikes.

Post #36   10/3/07 9:27:03AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
I'm sorry. I was gonna jut leave it, but with the two guys disagreeing with me a few posts up, I Waited until AFTER the fight, now I'll say it....

*Ahem*....

I TOLD YOU BITCHES!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Post #37   10/22/07 9:31:04PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3