Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

8 reasons why Anderson Silva will crush Rich Franklin

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DurtbagJones

Learning to Sprawl

DurtbagJones Avatar

Career:19-21
Camp: Maine Top Team
Chips:
I agree , for the most part, with all your points, but I think I heard most of all the same points before the Shogun-Forrest fight. The only difference is Silva already KO'ed him once. Anything can happen, you also cant count out the homefield advantage.

Post #16   9/28/07 12:38:09PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:

Posted by wagere

I agree with alot of this but, I don't think Silva is better than Rich on the ground, Rich has 9 subs compared to Silvas 3. Two of Silvas 4 losses have come by sub.

This form of MMAth is just as flawed as every other type. Anderson perfers to stand, and KO guys. Rich does to, but there is a differint. While Rich is a good stand up fighter Anderson is a spectacular stand up fighter. Rich has been hurt on his feet, or out classed on his feet, so he had to take it to the ground to win the fight. I can't think of anyone in MMA moreless 185lbs that can out class Anderson on their feet. That gives Rich an advantage as far as winning by submission.

Franklin has his advantages on the ground over Anderson. I think he is much better wrestler, and much better at GNP. On the other hand Anderson's BJJ , and his ability to hold people at bay and/or escape the ground is is much better than Rich's. I don't think Rich can win on the ground because this is a 5 round fight. There is no way he can keep Anderson on his back for 5 rounds, and he doesn't have the ability to finish him.

Post #17   9/28/07 1:42:21PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,474-900
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
[

Last edited 9/28/07 2:42PM server time by fullerene
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   9/28/07 1:58:33PM   

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Career:910-552
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by wagere

I agree with alot of this but, I don't think Silva is better than Rich on the ground, Rich has 9 subs compared to Silvas 3. Two of Silvas 4 losses have come by sub.

This form of MMAth is just as flawed as every other type. Anderson perfers to stand, and KO guys. Rich does to, but there is a differint. While Rich is a good stand up fighter Anderson is a spectacular stand up fighter. Rich has been hurt on his feet, or out classed on his feet, so he had to take it to the ground to win the fight. I can't think of anyone in MMA moreless 185lbs that can out class Anderson on their feet. That gives Rich an advantage as far as winning by submission.

Franklin has his advantages on the ground over Anderson. I think he is much better wrestler, and much better at GNP. On the other hand Anderson's BJJ , and his ability to hold people at bay and/or escape the ground is is much better than Rich's. I don't think Rich can win on the ground because this is a 5 round fight. There is no way he can keep Anderson on his back for 5 rounds, and he doesn't have the ability to finish him.

I really dont think silvas BJJ is better than Richs. Just because Rich has does not have black belt really dont mean much seems like theres a diffrence in BJJ and MMA BJJ.

Last edited 9/28/07 2:45PM server time by wagere
2 total post edits

Post #19   9/28/07 2:40:38PM   

MMAFever

Learning to Sprawl

MMAFever Avatar

Career:142-74
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

5) Rich Franklin Has a weak Chin. There, I said it. If you look at the Evan Tanner fight, the Louiseau fight, and of course, the silva fight, you'll see that if you hit Franklin square on the Jaw, there's a good chance he's going down. Not alot of people are able to hit it, but best believe Silva will.

After watching the Marquardt fight against Silva, I am a firm beleiver that Silva will KO Frankiln so #5 has a lot of merit to it as the possible outcome to the fight.

I anticipate a striking match for the most part to make Rich comfortable to the point where The Spider will pounce on the fly with a perfectly timed shot to the chin.

Rich is a good, grity fighter so this fight shouldn't disappoint MMA fans at all.

Post #20   9/28/07 5:19:35PM   

CrackerFace85

Learning to Sprawl

CrackerFace85 Avatar

Career:585-425
Chips:
very good points, but rich is smart NO MORE CLINCH, i think rich takes the fight down, and ground and pounds his way back to the title that was brutily takin from him,,,,,,,,BUT,,, silva has a good ground game off the back, franklin must watch for the upkicks and the long limbs of silva, if he does that there will be a new champ 4shur...

Post #21   9/28/07 6:11:12PM   

HulkRage

Standup Guy

HulkRage Avatar

Career:1,211-825
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:
Anderson is going to crush Rich again. I think Hendo will get crushed by Anderson also if he drops.

I would like to see a Lutter vs Franklin

Post #22   9/28/07 11:25:33PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
EIther a huge Silva fan or a Franklin hater, either way your underestimating this fights potnetial

Post #23   9/28/07 11:26:38PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by Pitbull09

EIther a huge Silva fan or a Franklin hater, either way your underestimating this fights potnetial

Read the beginning of my first post again

Yes, I'm a silva fan, but I made the 700 mile trip to UFC 68 just to see Rich Franklin fight and rocked my Rich Franklin American Fighter Tee, And I was cheering as loud as anyone when McDonald's Corner threw in the towel. (I was one of the lucky ones who got tickets before couture/sylvia was announced, so I got them before the priced doubled, haha.)

I'm not a "hater" of anyone, ESPECIALLY Rich Franklin. I can even apprieciate fighters who I DON'T like as long as they show skill, ala Josh Koscheck.

And I fully understand this fight's potential. I think Franklin is gonna give it all he has, but I don't think it'll be enough. I was prepared for people saying I'm a "Silva nut hugger" or a "Franklin Hater", that's why I went into as much detail as I could. I expect Franklin to put on a better show than at UFC 64, But yes, I believe silva will win in very convincing fashion. Just so happens I have 8 reasons why I think Silva will win, and I decided to share them.

From here on out, please save you abrupt and inaccurate judgements. Saying "EIther a huge Silva fan or a Franklin hater, either way your underestimating this fights potnetial"? Gimme a break.

Do you see me calling you "Either a Franklin DIckrider or a SIlva hater, so either way you have you head so far up your ass that your Incapable of seeing what's likely to happen"? No! Everyone has their opinion. I respect yours. Respect mine. Don't Insult my intelligence by saying I'm underestimating this fight's potential. I've been waiting for this fight for months. Hell, me and my buddy have talked about this fight for hours. He's Picking Franklin, I'm picking Silva. We respect each other's opinion. Try to follow suit. If you disagree, cool, share with us. But try to show intelligence and common sense when you do so.

Out

Last edited 9/29/07 4:31AM server time by ChokeUOut

Post #24   9/29/07 4:08:01AM   

d_block07

MMA Regular

d_block07 Avatar

Career:150-70
Camp: Team Punishment 2007
Chips:
look at the lutter fight, silva has poor TD defense, i know the whole knee surgery thing but still rich can put him on his back

Post #25   9/29/07 5:15:35PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by d_block07

look at the lutter fight, silva has poor TD defense, i know the whole knee surgery thing but still rich can put him on his back

Yeah but he's got really good submissions, that triangle was very well exicuted. He's also very long so he can put you in body triangles, and get his legs around your head easily. He's also very very tough, so rich will have to unleash a ton of punishment to hurt silva. I think this will be another bad night for rich.

Post #26   9/29/07 5:29:46PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
DO we know rich can put him on his back? Every talks about the Lutter fight, but this is what it was: A dehydrated Lutter again a silva with TWO freshly Sugerically Repaired Knees. Of course anderson isn't gonna be as fast with those knees like that, as as such, he got taken down. That being said, even WITH those knees, he got that triangle against a world class grappler. Held in the triangle for a minute and a hlaf, WITH those knees, mind you.

That being said, It's to be seen whether Rich CAN get silva down. Rich has good wrestling, but it's not what he's known for. Plus, Rich has become primarily a stand up fighter and doesn't try for take downs alot. I agree, that's his best chance to win, but who knows if he can do it, or if he'll even try.

If Rich can pull this fight off, cool, more power to him. But I, for one, am not seeing it.

Post #27   9/29/07 7:45:36PM   

BerndRealBad

MMA Regular

BerndRealBad Avatar

Career:1,068-556
Chips:

Posted by wagere

If you look at those 9 subs, 4 of them were due to strikes, something which anderson silva can easily accomplish, so I would say its more like 5 to 3. Still though, Silva subbed one of the best BJJ guys in MMA from his guard. Franklin can't say that he did that.

Post #28   9/30/07 2:27:46AM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:

Posted by wagere

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by wagere

I really dont think silvas BJJ is better than Richs. Just because Rich has does not have black belt really dont mean much seems like theres a diffrence in BJJ and MMA BJJ.

I know I am going out on huge limb saying Anderson has better BJJ since he HAS a black belt, and Rich doesn't. Anderson's training partners include the Nog brothers, Vitor, Carlos Barreto, and Lyoto who all have black belts while Rich trains with Gurgel.

Again looking at records means nothing. Watch the two of them fight, and see who has a more dangerous ground game. If you watch the fights you will realize that Rich's only submission that has any merrit was his arm bar he landed on a broken down Rivera in the 3rd round.

Post #29   9/30/07 11:45:12AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,474-900
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
^ If you think a belt means more than what someone actually does in competition you've drunk the martial arts Kool Aid. There's no universal testing standard for belts and even the better known schools tend to favor guys who are Brazilian and who work with the gi. If all Rich wanted was a black belt he'd have it easily, instead he's been focusing on MMA and submissions that work in that arena and that's been efffective. Silva has been submitted by guys who weren't black belts before

Like I said earlier, I've seen Rich as a blue belt almost 10 years ago...and this is a guy with a great work ethic and tons of athletic ability. He's going to school most guys who "have a black belt" unless they've competed extensively in submission tournaments.

Post #30   10/1/07 8:02:35AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3