Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matt Hughes: I Have “Two or Three” Fights Left in Me

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by wapttn

everyone needs to slow down and think about what they're saying

penn did not gas, he tore a muscle off his rib when going for a takedown. It totally screwed up his breathing, and when you cant breathe properly, it doesnt matter how good ur cardio is.

you cant say gsp has a glass jaw from the serra fight. Go watch the fight again, the first shot was half a slip, half knockdown, trying to get his balance back, serra chased him around and landed about 10 more good shots, and when he finally pulled guard, he landed about 5 more. 10 clean shots to get to the ground, and 15 for a referee stoppage is not a glass chin.

Hughes is undoubtedly a great fighter, he has accomplishments that nobody else in ufc history has. The reason why he isnt as dominant as he was before is because arguably the two most talented fighters in the world are in that division. GSP and Penn both have incredible takedown defense, and are far more rounded than hughes. I'm confident that hughes could beat anyone else in the division, but when it comes to these two guys, hes got nuthin.

My personal thought is that this is why hughes is retiring. He knows that theres two guys in the division that he'll probably lose to 8 times out of 10. He's gonna fight serra and beat him, then fight gsp and lose. After that he'll fight penn again, lose that, and then he'll retire. If he manages to beat gsp and penn, theres no way he'll retire.

I agree with most of what you are saying, however I maintain that Hughes has no chance against Koscheck. Koschek is stronger/bigger and more importantly a better wrestler than Matt Hughes. Just compare their credentials! Yes, Hughes has amazing grappling, but I doubt that he would be able to utilize that against Koscheck. So all said and done, I don't think that Hughes is even top 3 in that division right now.

agreed and thank u, i feel like i was one of the only ppl to knwo bout bj seperating his ribs, HE DID NOT GAS HIS MUSCLE TORE OFF HIS RIBS BIG DIFFERENCE. koschek vs hughes would a good match-up (gsp did outwrestle kos but it's gsp) but i think it would be just like the game plann kos used vs sanchez cause hughes has been in the game for so long that i would give him a sub adv over kos. those guys id say r tied for 3rd then jon fitch 4th and karo could beat all of them execpt for gsp and penn if he trains hard so he's in between 3&4

Post #16   9/27/07 1:45:01PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by ukgaz

Well Hughes is 1-1 with BJ and GSP. He has proven he has the skills to beat anyone at 170.

You're right, he has skills to beat a greener GSP, and a last minute fight with Penn. Doubt he would ever win against either of them again.

Post #17   9/27/07 1:45:03PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,873-1,070
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Matt Hughes could still beat anyone in the division. I'd make him a slight dog against GSP and even with Penn. He'd have trouble with Fitch. Fitch kind of reminds me of Matt Hughes, except younger. Koscheck would have nothing for Hughes if Kos continues his tactics of trying to stand and bang. GSP took Kos down several times.

I truly think Hughes is going to retire soon and focus on getting his gym off the ground. It seems to me that Hughes is trying to create a gym based on a mixture of Randy's and Pat's. I hope he is successful, as there is alot of good talent in the Iowa/Illinois area.

Post #18   9/27/07 2:19:15PM   

rockernhb

Learning to Sprawl

rockernhb Avatar

Career:225-132
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
After a career like his, why not retire early and save himself alot of wear and tear on his body. He has nothing left to do but be inducted into the hall of fame and train a new breed of fighters. He is my favorite fighter but I would like to see him go out healthy and on top...

Post #19   9/28/07 1:36:09AM   

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Career:910-552
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
I would like to see him beat Serra for the title and go ahead and retire on top. Then let GSP and BJ fight.

Post #20   9/28/07 9:52:24AM   

Azzkiker

Learning to Sprawl

Azzkiker Avatar

Career:286-192
Chips:
Hughes is a great ufc fighter. I enjoy watching him do his thing in the ring. I hope he gets back the belt from serra(who didnt deserve his title shot) and then defends the belt for 3-5 more fights. Physically speaking hughes is much stronger than the majority of his competition. It always fun to see peoples faces when he gets ahold of them.

Post #21   9/29/07 10:44:27AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2