Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Matt Hughes: I Have “Two or Three” Fights Left in Me

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes says he will likely fight no more than “two or three” times in the UFC before retiring from the sport.

LINK

Post #1   9/27/07 7:29:53AM   

ukgaz

Learning to Sprawl

Career:48-24
Chips:
I think the UFC hopes he does not get the title then. I would still like to see Penn/Hughes 3 before he retires. Would not be surprised if he did the step away from the sport for 1 year trick then come back for more money

Post #2   9/27/07 8:40:29AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Hughes stands absolutely no chance against GSP or even Josh Koscheck. BJ Penn will dominate him (again) if they ever fight (again) barring any freak injuries.

The days when strong wrestlers dominated the UFC are gone. Hughes needs to learn some stand-up if he wants to hang with the big boys. As it stands right now, I don't think he's top 3 in the division. Then again, Matt Serra is not even a top 5 fighter, and he's got the belt. So go figure!

Post #3   9/27/07 8:57:37AM   

ukgaz

Learning to Sprawl

Career:48-24
Chips:
Well Hughes is 1-1 with BJ and GSP. He has proven he has the skills to beat anyone at 170.

Post #4   9/27/07 9:01:44AM   

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Career:910-552
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
To say Matt Hughes is not a contender at 170 is a joke. GSP is a more well rounded fighter, but hes beat him before. He has beat BJ, and for those who say the only reason he beat BJ was cardio guess what cardio is huge part of being a well rouned fighter. Evryone one that knows a little bit about this game knows that the mental aspect is the biggest part, you have to have certain game plan for each individual fighter and execute it. Case in point Randy Couture.

Post #5   9/27/07 9:08:12AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
2-3 fights, what the hell has he done in the last year? Got pushed to the limit by Lytle and sat on his ass. I hope Hughes loses to Serra but I think he will win cuz Serras a joke. Then I hope GSp retires his country ass....with a rounhouse to his dome.....boo yeah!

Post #6   9/27/07 9:12:59AM   

wagere

MMA Regular

wagere Avatar

Career:910-552
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
I don't know if GSP can beat him again Hughes standup is suspect but not near as suspect as GSPs chin. That little half ass shot that Serra knocked him silly with was not much.

Post #7   9/27/07 9:57:59AM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
Hughes has more to his game than "just" wrestling. However, I think GSP is the best, and most well-rounded, WW right now. I think Hughes will beat Serra, GSP will beat Hughes, and maybe Hughes will fight Penn for his last fight, but I think he'll retire and then come back in a year or so.

Post #8   9/27/07 10:47:29AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,440-1,122
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I hope that Hughes completely dominates Serra for two rounds and then takes him out via GnP. Then GSP can take the belt back from Hughes again and retire Hughes once and for all.

Post #9   9/27/07 10:50:03AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
imo if he loses his next fight he will be done

Post #10   9/27/07 11:35:26AM   

wrestler189

MMA Regular

wrestler189 Avatar

Career:1,709-949
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
people are disrespecting hughes.

even if he were to lose his next 3 fights, he was still the most dominant UFC champ in history. He is 1-1 with both GSP and BJ, and has held/defended the title 9 times.

you say he has bad standup...while it is not amazing, he has learned enough to be able to set up takedowns which has worked for most of his career. all fighters have their cryptonite, hughes cryptonite is elite wrestling. there are plenty of guys out there hughes could ko, they just dont fight in title fights in the UFC

Post #11   9/27/07 11:40:21AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
everyone needs to slow down and think about what they're saying

penn did not gas, he tore a muscle off his rib when going for a takedown. It totally screwed up his breathing, and when you cant breathe properly, it doesnt matter how good ur cardio is.

you cant say gsp has a glass jaw from the serra fight. Go watch the fight again, the first shot was half a slip, half knockdown, trying to get his balance back, serra chased him around and landed about 10 more good shots, and when he finally pulled guard, he landed about 5 more. 10 clean shots to get to the ground, and 15 for a referee stoppage is not a glass chin.

Hughes is undoubtedly a great fighter, he has accomplishments that nobody else in ufc history has. The reason why he isnt as dominant as he was before is because arguably the two most talented fighters in the world are in that division. GSP and Penn both have incredible takedown defense, and are far more rounded than hughes. I'm confident that hughes could beat anyone else in the division, but when it comes to these two guys, hes got nuthin.

My personal thought is that this is why hughes is retiring. He knows that theres two guys in the division that he'll probably lose to 8 times out of 10. He's gonna fight serra and beat him, then fight gsp and lose. After that he'll fight penn again, lose that, and then he'll retire. If he manages to beat gsp and penn, theres no way he'll retire.

Post #12   9/27/07 12:36:45PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

everyone needs to slow down and think about what they're saying

penn did not gas, he tore a muscle off his rib when going for a takedown. It totally screwed up his breathing, and when you cant breathe properly, it doesnt matter how good ur cardio is.

you cant say gsp has a glass jaw from the serra fight. Go watch the fight again, the first shot was half a slip, half knockdown, trying to get his balance back, serra chased him around and landed about 10 more good shots, and when he finally pulled guard, he landed about 5 more. 10 clean shots to get to the ground, and 15 for a referee stoppage is not a glass chin.

Hughes is undoubtedly a great fighter, he has accomplishments that nobody else in ufc history has. The reason why he isnt as dominant as he was before is because arguably the two most talented fighters in the world are in that division. GSP and Penn both have incredible takedown defense, and are far more rounded than hughes. I'm confident that hughes could beat anyone else in the division, but when it comes to these two guys, hes got nuthin.

My personal thought is that this is why hughes is retiring. He knows that theres two guys in the division that he'll probably lose to 8 times out of 10. He's gonna fight serra and beat him, then fight gsp and lose. After that he'll fight penn again, lose that, and then he'll retire. If he manages to beat gsp and penn, theres no way he'll retire.

I agree with most of what you are saying, however I maintain that Hughes has no chance against Koscheck. Koschek is stronger/bigger and more importantly a better wrestler than Matt Hughes. Just compare their credentials! Yes, Hughes has amazing grappling, but I doubt that he would be able to utilize that against Koscheck. So all said and done, I don't think that Hughes is even top 3 in that division right now.

Post #13   9/27/07 1:05:00PM   

PaulyD

Learning to Sprawl

PaulyD Avatar

Career:180-99
Chips:
I too think he'll have to think long andhard about retiring if he loses to Serra. I don't see a fight for him if he does, aside than maybe Penn as a farewell. jmo

Post #14   9/27/07 1:35:34PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Kos may be a great traditional wrestler but that might not necessarily translate into him being a better wrestler than Hughes in MMA. Hughes has had far more experience with wrestling in MMA and that most certainly will have a dramatic effect on any fight they might have.

I don't like the guy but Hughes is a great fighter, top 3 in that weight class in that division. Personally I think he would own Takanori Gomi.

Post #15   9/27/07 1:36:44PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2