Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

How do you feel about the three consecutive losses in a row "rule"?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
They'll never give Chuck the boot no matter how many times he loses. He's an icon for the UFC, is a close friend to Dana and would be a big draw for whatever company he would work for.

I don't think they've even considered given Diego the boot yet considering the extremely high caliber opposition he's faced. If he loses to a Drew Fickett or a Rich Clementi he might be in trouble.

Post #16   9/26/07 10:20:09AM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
The UFC knows how to alienate some fighters. One of these days it may come back to haunt them. They aren't wanting to pay these fighters as much as Pride did(of course that may be why Pride went under) and their losing many good fighters.
I'd love to see Nick Diaz, Lawler, Edwards, and many others back in the octogon, but these other org's are paying them more money, at least in Yves Edwards case they are. I think Bodog paid him pretty good to get him there.
If they keep alienating the fighters they're going to end up alienating the fans as well.
They won't get rid of Chuck. It's up to Chuck when he wants to call it quits or fight in another org (which'll never happen). Pete Sell has lost, but his last fight was close until Quarry knocked him out. There's many fighters, but not enough events to keep everyone fighting enough to keep them happy. They need to either bring Pride back, or have more fight nights, which they've been doing, but they're is still many fighters in limbo right now.
How can you explain not fighting AA? That's ridiculous. They won't get rid of Diego, he's fought good competition, and many new fans like him alot. They won't get rid of Stephen Bonnar because of he's one of the "original TUF" guys, Forrest/Bonnar,blahblahblah.
I don't like the three and out rule. Nowadays, there isn't any easy fights. The competition is growing and becoming harder every day. Wanderlei has lost his last two fight (granted against damn good fighters) and ppl are talking about giving him an immediate title shot (which I think is stupid). Getting rid of Mirko would just be ignorent. He's one of the most exciting fighters to watch and is always providing highlight reals.

Post #17   9/26/07 10:55:44AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Rush

Wow, I didn't think you guys would be going back that far. lol

Since we're on the subject:

Coleman lost 3 fights in a row before going to Pride
Pete Williams lost 3 fights in a row (and has never fought since)
Pedro Rizzo lost 2, won 1 and lost another 2 and then won another 2 (3-4)

Yeah Pedro Rizzo is one of the guys I want back..He had a impressive KO over Jeff Monson even though the 1st 2 rounds were anything but exciting the 3rd round was great and he stopped him. I think he could do some damage in the Heavyweight division unless he goes against Fedor, Randy, Big Nog, or Mark Hunt...

Pete Williams is only known for that lucky kick on Coleman....

I want Coleman back into the UFC because him and Randy would be an exciting chess match kind of like that boxing match Hopkins vs. Winky that fight was entertaining and exciting so this would be too!!!

Exactly.

I would almost rather see Coleman go back to the UFC than to have Fedor their.Coleman VS Couture would be awesome!

Post #18   9/26/07 11:42:08AM   

BigEvil

Standup Guy

BigEvil Avatar

Career:342-204
Camp: SC MMA
Chips:
It has way more to do with how exciting a fighter is than their win or loss record. The record does affect things but their are plenty of fighters who stick around just because they make fights interesting. It aso has to do with how well a fighter markets themselves, if a fighter becomes a fan favorite or a person the fans love to see get their ass handed to them then you can be sure they'll be back.

Post #19   9/26/07 1:10:09PM   

HulkRage

Standup Guy

HulkRage Avatar

Career:1,211-825
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:
They have to have some kind of rule like that to cut the dead wood, but If you fight three of the top guys in that weight class and lose all three I don't belive you should be cut, but then again I would not want the UFC to give a fighter a "gimme" fight for there third fight either just to keep them around longer.

I would like to see Rizzo and Randleman back in the UFC and Coleman aswell, but I don't think that any of them are as good as they once were, but could be good gatekeepers.
A fight with Coleman and Cotoure would have been good, but I think that Randy could match Coleman in wrestling, but Randy is a far better striker now that Coleman is or ever was.

Post #20   9/26/07 1:49:32PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
These fighters aren't getting "the boot." People are assuming that whenever a fighter loses a few fights in the UFC and goes to fight for other orgs. that he got "the boot" from the UFC. That's not really the case. These are MMA athletes not UFC athletes. If someone has a poor showing in one organization it doesn't really give that org. a reason to re-sign that athlete after there contract is up. If a guy does poorly in the UFC, the UFC probably won't continue to offer him fights. Being an MMA athlete he will most likely look for contracts in other orgs which he will probably find being as how he just fought for the number one name in mixed martial arts. I think when people say they left because of contract disputes it just means that they had trouble negotiating a new contract not trying to extend an old one.

Post #21   9/26/07 3:20:02PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Nick Diaz was a huge loss for the UFC. I see him coming back one day, though. Maybe in 2 or 3 years.

I think the UFC also takes into consideration how much development they can expect out of a fighter. If they think a fighter's skills are peaked out and he can't get past those top tier guys then what is the point in keeping him around? Babalu, to me, is a good example. Obviously now he's done, but he went on a rough streak for a while there. I think the guys who needed to know knew that Babalu had the skills to any day lose or beat one of the top guys and that's why up until his latest mishap you could always expect to see him in the Octagon. (Although the division was much weaker a year ago)

Post #22   9/26/07 3:35:53PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

These fighters aren't getting "the boot." People are assuming that whenever a fighter loses a few fights in the UFC and goes to fight for other orgs. that he got "the boot" from the UFC. That's not really the case. These are MMA athletes not UFC athletes. If someone has a poor showing in one organization it doesn't really give that org. a reason to re-sign that athlete after there contract is up. If a guy does poorly in the UFC, the UFC probably won't continue to offer him fights. Being an MMA athlete he will most likely look for contracts in other orgs which he will probably find being as how he just fought for the number one name in mixed martial arts. I think when people say they left because of contract disputes it just means that they had trouble negotiating a new contract not trying to extend an old one.

Not resigning a fighter or "inviting him back" is loosely translated to "the boot". Not to nit pick I dont understand what you are trying to say?

Post #23   9/26/07 5:47:16PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Nick Diaz move to Pride was of his own doing. In fact the UFC made him an offer and he declined.

Joe Riggs asked to be released from his UFC/WEC deal to move to strike force

Lawler, all I can find is that after two losses he left the UFC, I couldn't find specific details but I do not believe it caused by a release from his contract.

Frank Trigg I could find almost no details concerning the reasons behind leaving but he also did not lose 3 in a row. He might have been released but I just can't find evidence one way or the other.

Yves Edwards left the UFC to go fight for Bodog.

Post #24   9/26/07 6:16:53PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
I would like to think the UFC like most all big corps. do their research and have polls and things of that such to see who is marketable and what is marketable. Losses usually mean not marketable and wins usually mean marketable. But thats not always the case as Im sure they find out when they research a fighters popularity and I believe thats why sometimes when a guy is winning he dosnt return and when a guy is loosing (Elvis S.) he dose return,popularity=Marketable=Money. Im sure their is plenty of gray area, disputes with dana and other execs. Not wanting to be in that big of a spotlight and not returning on their own terms, guys not representing the UFC(mma) in the media and interviews well (Diaz) a good image also translates well to $ , plenty other reasons im sure.

Post #25   9/26/07 6:20:55PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nubby

Nick Diaz move to Pride was of his own doing. In fact the UFC made him an offer and he declined.

Joe Riggs asked to be released from his UFC/WEC deal to move to strike force

Lawler, all I can find is that after two losses he left the UFC, I couldn't find specific details but I do not believe it caused by a release from his contract.

Frank Trigg I could find almost no details concerning the reasons behind leaving but he also did not lose 3 in a row. He might have been released but I just can't find evidence one way or the other.

Yves Edwards left the UFC to go fight for Bodog.

Like someone said before... final paperwork may say this, but is this really what happened? I know I've left a couple jobs under strange circumstances that only ended up saying "quit" on a resume.

Not saying this is the case for sure or that it isn't for sure, but it's worth considering.

Post #26   9/27/07 12:22:02PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
That is very true. Also if it's a matter of money that is exactly the same as saying that your current boss does not want you in the org enough to pay more than a competitor. The UFC is big enough that it can't use the excuse that it can't afford a particular fighter.

Post #27   9/27/07 12:47:25PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by Rush

That is very true. Also if it's a matter of money that is exactly the same as saying that your current boss does not want you in the org enough to pay more than a competitor. The UFC is big enough that it can't use the excuse that it can't afford a particular fighter.

It's not about what they can afford it's what the fighter is worth to the company. Someone like Nick Diaz may be an awesome fighter with some great skills, but he's trully not that marketable. It would explain why the UFC probably didn't make him a big offer. Same with all these guys. Anyone who continuously loses is not going to get the best contract.

Post #28   9/27/07 1:16:12PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by nubby

It's not about what they can afford it's what the fighter is worth to the company.

Yes, you proved our point that not being offered a decent contract = not worth much to the company = getting the boot

Posted by nubby

Someone like Nick Diaz may be an awesome fighter with some great skills, but he's trully not that marketable. It would explain why the UFC probably didn't make him a big offer. Same with all these guys. Anyone who continuously loses is not going to get the best contract.

Judging by the number of Nick Diaz fans out there I don't buy that he isn't marketable. There are a number of guys fighting in the UFC that are not marketable (skills aside) IMO (Huerta, Sherk, Stevenson, Diego, and many more).

Deductive reasoning implys that you are saying that guys that lose a lot are not going to get a big contract because they aren't marketable. This is also not true because guys may lose, but put on great fights. To me great fights are what should be marketable.

I understand the desire for the UFC to want the top fightes in their ranks, but a lot of times it goes against what is necessarily marketable, IMO.

Post #29   9/27/07 2:40:50PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Huerta's marketable to the latino fan base that they are trying to build up.

Stevenson.. I can't believe someone would say he's not marketable! The guy is young as hell, very skilled, and very likeable IMO. I think Stevenson has a big future in the UFC.

Sherk and Diego I understand, though And I do see that you said "IMO" so I'm not calling your opinion out, I'm just kind of surprised. I'm especially surprised a BJJ practicioner such as yourself wouldn't like Stevenson.. but

Post #30   9/27/07 4:42:31PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3