Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Truth About Pride And The UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Among the MMA intelligentsia, no topic continues to stir emotions
like the respective quality of fighters from Pride and UFC. Two days
after one of the finest top-to-bottom cards in UFC history, popular
message boards are showing about the same number of threads featuring
the word, “Pride,” as the word, “Griffin.”

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   9/25/07 12:09:29PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
UFC owns pride so why cant pride just be over, UFC vs pride is not true because the rules are so different if forrest fought shogun in a ring with pride rules IMO forrest would have lost, ty you for making me 3,000 in that fight forrest woohoo

Post #2   9/25/07 12:24:07PM   

m0nk3y

Learning to Sprawl

m0nk3y Avatar

Career:65-48
Chips:
i wish zuffa would've kept Pride the same as it was , no need to integrate , Pride was very popular in japan , and they had a great stable of fighters who were accustomed to their rules.
some of the most exciting fights i've ever seen took place in a pride ring , zuffa could still make something of it .
a quiet change in owners , without shutting pride down completely would've been nice.

Post #3   9/25/07 1:54:41PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,200-1,501
Chips:
Blah, blah...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. It's over...Pride doesn't exist anymore.
The Pride/UFC controversy will never end with articles like this. People love to stir up controversy. Misery loves company right? The writer seemed unbelievably miserable. Watch with your own eyes, listen with your own ears.
Let it end...who cares? Remember how Tito got the title? He beat Wanderlei...IN THE UFC. Cro Cop has been pitiful in the UFC, Rua got beat and Rampage beat a less than stellar Chuck Liddell and a not at his best Dan Henderson. Some won, some lost but it doesn't matter...it's over...as long as we the fans let it be!
There are great fighters everywhere. Enjoy the sport and don't let trivial opinions and/or articles get in the way of why we are fans...to enjoy exciting MMA fights...no matter which brand name organization they come from or fall under.

Post #4   9/25/07 2:38:26PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I thought this article was good. I felt it was more about Pride fighters not getting a fair shake. I don't agree with it but I can see his point. Facts point to the exact opposite... Jackson was given an immediate shot for the title after a single victory, Filipovic would have been given a title shot if he beat Gonzaga, Nogueira will probably be given a title shot after his next win, Wanderlei Silva will probably be given a title shot if he wins his first fight. I don't really see it as UFC biased in terms of opportunity. White may like UFC fighters better but at the end of the day the almighty dollar rules, and that means UFC vs Pride.

Post #5   9/25/07 2:49:21PM   

titorican

MMA Regular

titorican Avatar

Career:819-516
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
I am not going to say this organizations fighters are better than the others. What I will say is I disagree with the article. Because Dana obviously wanted Crocop to win his fights. He wants Nogueira to be a star. Rampage obviously succeeded. And Rua was definitely expected to beat Griffin. So I would say that the Pride fighters are certainly being given a fair shake.

Post #6   9/25/07 4:09:37PM   

m0nk3y

Learning to Sprawl

m0nk3y Avatar

Career:65-48
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Blah, blah...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. It's over...Pride doesn't exist anymore.
The Pride/UFC controversy will never end with articles like this. People love to stir up controversy. Misery loves company right? The writer seemed unbelievably miserable. Watch with your own eyes, listen with your own ears.
Let it end...who cares? Remember how Tito got the title? He beat Wanderlei...IN THE UFC. Cro Cop has been pitiful in the UFC, Rua got beat and Rampage beat a less than stellar Chuck Liddell and a not at his best Dan Henderson. Some won, some lost but it doesn't matter...it's over...as long as we the fans let it be!
There are great fighters everywhere. Enjoy the sport and don't let trivial opinions and/or articles get in the way of why we are fans...to enjoy exciting MMA fights...no matter which brand name organization they come from or fall under.

UFC guys didn't do too well in pride either , the differing rules added something to the sport , people missing pride seems to piss you off for some strange reason :o

Last edited 9/25/07 6:35PM server time by m0nk3y
Edit note/reason: can't spell
2 total post edits

Post #7   9/25/07 6:33:29PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
You know, I love Pride but I think I hate Pride fans. I'm just a fight fan, tell me the rules, show me the fights and I will fork out the $$$ no matter where it's taking place!

Post #8   9/25/07 11:20:03PM   

guero13

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1-
Chips:
PRIDE, UFC, WEC,IFL, BODOG, ELITEFC. shit im just ****** happy as hell i can turn on my tv and flip from SPIKE to VS to watch Unleased and Wrecage. then go to FSN to see some IFL and some old PRIDE bouts. maybe on a weekend when UFC is not on PPV i can watch some ELITEFC on showtime. But one thing is for sure,i like CHINGASOS(thats spanish slang for fighting). no matter what happens who owns what and what rules they put in,this is the best time to be an mma fan. but one thing i will agreewith in as far as rules.... they should bring the yellow cards to the USA and keep some of the fighters that think they can sit back and win on just points on their toes....... **** with their money once and i bet it wont happen anymore. kinda went out the subject sorry

Post #9   9/26/07 5:40:35AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,996-1,112
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

See, i knew there was someone out there who thought something like i did lol.
Sir Karl's got it down man. One thing tho, pretty sure things wouldve been much different if Dana decided to send UFC guys over to Pride with the pride rules(of course wouldve never happend UFC being Dana's baby) but yeah just a thought

Post #10   9/26/07 10:11:58AM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
This UFC vs. Pride thing will never die. Of course Joe and Dana wanted Forrest to win. Everyone has a personal bias and want to prove that their dick is bigger than the other persons. They want people to think that the UFC was better the PRide.
I have always loved both org's, but I don't think a properly trained and conditioned Shogun would've lost that fight. I give Forrest credit, but I would like to see that fight again, after Shogun trains his ass off.
If there's nothing else we can agree on, at least we can agree on this: there's no more easy fights for anyone, anymore. You better take your fights serious and train hard. Besides the stuff with the 'roids, take a lesson from the training regiments of Sean Sherk. Remember, one bad outing and you just might be outted.

Post #11   9/26/07 11:09:53AM