Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Are you serious? I got your back Chuck!

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

FCFighter19

Learning to Sprawl

FCFighter19 Avatar

Career:1,225-671
Chips:
Chucks not done yet....i kinda feel sorry for him, hes got a couple good wins in him still...i think he should fight Wandy but if they do that your gonna walk a fine line....If wandy beats him Chuck is done....If Chuck wins then why did the UFC spend all that money??? Wandy will be around for a while but im sure they dont want him losing his first fight!!!

Post #16   9/24/07 6:46:00PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,109-603
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by nubby

Ok I'll play the role of the asshole for this one.

Chuck is done. He's 38 years old and he's had a great run but look at the competition he beats, it's people with less than stellar striking. In fact the last great striker he beat was none other than Overeem in Pride. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings but Chuck is done. He may be able to beat lower fighters no problem but the fact that he had that much trouble against Jardine despite having three full rounds to get a knock out or acheive a decision just shows me that his reign at the top is over. This sport is not like golf where competitors can stay at the top well into their 50's. This is a combat sport and at the age of 38 you are ancient. Randy Couture is the one and only exception to this rule. Anyway, flame away, but mark my words Chuck will not beat a top 5 fighter again and probably won't be able to beat a top 10 fighter either.

Uh-HUH...I'll bet you $1246.00 of your bankroll he will.

Ya know what else, I was actually gonna give you props today, but guess what... you aren't gettin 'em anymore, Nubby.

How do you like them apples, Mr. Newton?

J/K, but really man the post wasn't about Chuck being done in the sport, it was about everyone hating on him because he lost twice. Chuck may be 38, but he is far from old. I don't think bringing age into it has anything to do with the argument, yes Randy Couture is older and still fighting. So if it's not much of a factor for him why is it for Chuck? Did you not see Jardine's head at the end of the fight? Chuck obviously still has some sting in his punches.

There's no way to know until he gets another fight, but we shall mark this occassion Mr. Nubby. May the best keyboard warrior win.

Nobody hated Chuck before these losses? Hmmm, where have I been?

Post #17   9/24/07 6:46:41PM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Career:31-27
Camp: Keyboard Warriors of LMAOville
Chips:
Now that I think of it, Chuck is a prime example of why UFC needed to evolve. Think back to the old old UFC, like UFC 1 and 2 when it was just an organization to show off the Gracie family. Everyone pretty much had 1 style, and every style had its advantages and weaknesses. Thats why today, MMA fighters train in 2 or 3 different styles. Chuck should keep his boxing/striking training, but start working in another areas as well.

Post #18   9/24/07 6:47:00PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by Djbb

Now that I think of it, Chuck is a prime example of why UFC needed to evolve. Think back to the old old UFC, like UFC 1 and 2 when it was just an organization to show off the Gracie family. Everyone pretty much had 1 style, and every style had its advantages and weaknesses. Thats why today, MMA fighters train in 2 or 3 different styles. Chuck should keep his boxing/striking training, but start working in another areas as well.

Why would he bother working on other areas? Is Chuck Liddell all of a sudden become a BJJ Black Belt and start taking guys down and tapping them out? He's a striker, it is what he does best. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Although right now its starting to break, but there is no point in trying to fix it. After losing two fights in a row, both to strikers, if anything he needs to improve his striking more. The only times he's touched the ground in his last two fights was getting knocked down, and that could happen to anyone. It would be pointless for a good kickboxer like Chuck Liddell, to reinvent himself in his late 30s.

Post #19   9/24/07 8:05:32PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by DJDark41

...Is Chuck Liddell all of a sudden become a BJJ Black Belt...

Purple is a shade of black

Last edited 9/24/07 8:11PM server time by tnunley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   9/24/07 8:09:51PM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DJDark41

Why would he bother working on other areas? Is Chuck Liddell all of a sudden become a BJJ Black Belt and start taking guys down and tapping them out? He's a striker, it is what he does best. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Although right now its starting to break, but there is no point in trying to fix it. After losing two fights in a row, both to strikers, if anything he needs to improve his striking more. The only times he's touched the ground in his last two fights was getting knocked down, and that could happen to anyone. It would be pointless for a good kickboxer like Chuck Liddell, to reinvent himself in his late 30s.

I didn't say Chuck needed to reinvent himself, but I disagree that he needs to improve his striking more. His striking is fine, its just he fact its ALL he relies on. He needs another gameplan when he goes up against people that are going to out-strike him. Why do you think Mike Tyson fell off the world of boxing? Repetitiveness.

Post #21   9/24/07 8:14:29PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by Djbb

Posted by DJDark41

I didn't say Chuck needed to reinvent himself, but I disagree that he needs to improve his striking more. His striking is fine, its just he fact its ALL he relies on. He needs another gameplan when he goes up against people that are going to out-strike him. Why do you think Mike Tyson fell off the world of boxing? Repetitiveness.

Yeah cause you can really change up your strategy in boxing. "Ok, instead of throwing a left hook I'm gonna throw a high kick. Oh wait, I can't! Maybe I'll just throw a right hook instead." And if you were Chuck Liddell, wouldn't you rely on your striking? Just because he knocked out mainly grapplers in his title run doesn't take away from the fact that he is a good striker with KO power. And what are you gonna do against a guy like Rampage. He's gonna outstrike Chuck, so what is Chuck gonna do? Go for a takedown, get stuffed by Rampage, and end up on his back getting punched in the face with nowhere to run? What else is he gonna rely on? He relies on his wrestling to avoid takedowns, and keep the fight where he wants it, which is on the feet. And who would've called Jardine outstriking Liddell? Most likely not Chuck Liddell.
So what else is Chuck Liddell going to rely on? Well, there is his striking which has done pretty well for him up until now. His submission game, and his fighting consists of about 0% submissions. There is his ground and pound which only works when he knocks a guy down and jumps on him to finish the fight. So, explain to me exactly what other "gameplan" Chuck is gonna use if he is getting beat in the standup game.

Post #22   9/24/07 8:53:39PM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Chips:
So what you're basically saying is that Chuck should only limit himself to his striking ability, which even you said has failed him in the past 2 fights? His problem is that he DOESN'T grapple, he DOESN'T submit, he DOESN'T wrestle. Do you know how many times I've watched Chuck fight and said "He could've tried for a rear naked choke" or "He should've attempted a guillotine", but he doesn't because hes stubborn and refuses to let the fight get to the ground. The ground is his weakness and as long as he lets it be his weakness and doesn't start working on it, hes going even farther downhill from here. Look at Randy Couture, he changes his fighting style based on EVERY fight, he trains for what he knows is his opponents strengths and weaknesses and develops a strategy around that. Chuck just swings his fists and prays to God they hit something hard enough to knock it out. If you really think Chuck can make a comeback and be LHW material again in this stage of MMA, with guys like Rampage and Griffin and Shogun and Wanderlei Silva in the same weight class as him, you're mistaken. Chuck needs to work on his wrestling and submissions so if he fights another guy who will out-strike him, he can possibly take it to the ground. Since Chuck is amazing at getting back on his feet after some ground action, it would be perfect for him to learn some ground work.

Last edited 9/24/07 9:24PM server time by djbb
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   9/24/07 9:22:57PM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
This forum i great, Just gonna put my thoughts out,
1st off peoples Liddell IS done, But only for 2007! It wont surprise me a fraction if he does retire, So then when ( A- W.Silva is champion he can come out for a title shot. ie Randy Or B- Just wait for a while and then come out to challenge whoever for the title, I know I would love to see that!).
Forrest without a doubt deserves the superbowl title fight against rampage, Wandy should fight a B Grader so he can get a (Dare say easy) win.
Chuck will be back, And watch out all you 205ers.

Forrest for champ!

Post #24   9/26/07 8:23:18AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by ufcboss

1st off peoples Liddell IS done, But only for 2007! It wont surprise me a fraction if he does retire, So then when ( A- W.Silva is champion he can come out for a title shot. ie Randy Or B- Just wait for a while and then come out to challenge whoever for the title, I know I would love to see that!).
Forrest without a doubt deserves the superbowl title fight against rampage, Wandy should fight a B Grader so he can get a (Dare say easy) win.

Forrest for champ!

Actually Liddell is calling out Shogun, and they are gonna try to fight in December of this year.

Post #25   9/26/07 8:45:29AM   

MMAFever

Learning to Sprawl

MMAFever Avatar

Career:142-74
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Like the OP said, "Chuck is still Chuck". This is where the problem lies. Chuck is Chuck and will always be Chuck, and because of this, he won't evolve and will continue to lose matches. People are being critical of Chuck because he fought the way he normally fights, but Jardine completely exposed him. We aren't hating on him, he will always be a legend, but the way he fights won't work anymore.

I agree - Chuck's style & strategy has become transparent

John Hackleman and "The Pit" are to blame.

Chuck needs to find a new camp to get a fresh perspective on MMA again and possibly add a few more weapons to his arsenal.

Post #26   9/26/07 11:22:31AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
He needs to learn some JJ even though it is probably way to late in his career, but everybody has found him out after that Jardine fight so I can't see him winning another fight unless it's against a push over which will be difficult to find in such a stacked division and plus if 76 can happen then that push over could KO chuck!!!

Post #27   9/26/07 11:25:42AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by ufcboss

Forrest for champ!

Actually Liddell is calling out Shogun, and they are gonna try to fight in December of this year.

Yeah but the question is why! Shogun is not going to test Liddell in any fashion. Shogun is basically at square 1 in my eyes. He had his chance to show everyone his skills and he choked big time. Now Liddell wants a piece of him? When Forrest can step in the ring and completely dominate Rua, what point is there in Liddell fighting him. If Liddell wants to get hi chance at the belt he needs to be thinking about fighting the most difficult guys. He should be calling out Henderson or Silva, and that is about it.

Post #28   9/26/07 11:34:09AM   

SicJits

MMA Regular

SicJits Avatar

Career:813-455
Camp: FiveKnucklesCrew
Chips:
Chuck may fight and win a few more times, but he'll never wear the belt again.

Post #29   9/27/07 2:28:21AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,959-1,110
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Alright so seriously, I've read a lot of posts today and a lot of people have it that Chuck Liddell is now a nobody, Griffin deserves a title shot, and Jardine didn't prove anything.

First off Chuck Liddell is still Chuck Liddell. Yes he has been beaten by Jackson recently (for the second time), and just lost to Jardine. I don't think this makes him a worthless fighter. Before he fought Jackson, he had a 7-fight win streak. He has the most wins inside the UFC, and most of all he knocked out Randy Couture.

I dunno, I guess the one thing Pride had,... their fans seem to have been far more committed. CC has two losses in a row, and I doubt there is a true CC fan out there who has counted him out. I'm not a CC fan and never have been, but he definitely has a following. Shogun got destroyed (Yes, DESTROYED) by Griffin, and people are constantly coming with excuses as to why he is still better than Griffin. Not trying to hate on the Shogun fans, it just means you like the guy and there is nothing wrong with that... other than you're wrong

Chuck Liddell gets knocked out by Jackson and you hear the "I told you so"s and Liddell "fans" are shocked. Jackson is an animal... to lose to Jackson doesn't mean you're a horrible fighter, it just proves Jackson is a great fighter. Then Liddell fights Jardine and loses... now seems as if all of his "fans" are hanging him out to dry. I am a Liddell fan, always have been. I like a guy who with KO power, and he's always been entertaining.

I've read a lot of posts about how Liddell is "washed up" or "too old", and I think that's rediculous. Did you see Chuck hit Jardine with a punch that didn't cut or bruise him? Even Jardine talked about every time Chuck hit him it hurt. Chuck just needs to go back to the drawing board and change things up a bit. The way he fights has always worked for him, so why was there a reason to change it? Because Jackson knocked him out in the first round??? Anyone can get knocked out in the first round, and that doesn't mean your game plan wasn't good. It means you got caught. Now that he went 3 rounds and lost a decision, it was proof that he needs to do something... does not mean he's now a nobody. I personally think that Chuck beat himself. He was so worried about knocking Jardine out before time ran out, that he didn't focus on anything else. Not taking anything away from Jardine, he definitely proved himself.

I don't think he deserves a shot at the title for a while, and his "main event" status is probably gone. But Chuck Liddell is still Chuck Liddell. On any given night he could still knock anybody out if he can catch them. I would love to see Chuck come back and become a title contender again, so I can copy and paste some forum posts to the bandwagon jumpers who will end up saying "Chuck is the best" again.

Well said . Completely agree. i don't tknow if people just want to be on the winning side, say I told you so( even when they didn't say it before hand) , or just like piling on a guy when he's down. Either way guys like Chuck/Wandy can definitely not only be very relevant fighter's to me, but could also be champions again. Randy and Rampage, the 2 guys that were done in by Chuck/Wandy, are proof of this in my eyes.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #30   9/27/07 7:14:37AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3