Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

It is time to debate! Chuck Liddell vs. Rampage Jackson #2

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,409-867
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I call Rampage in the 4th via GnP, and heres why:

Hes got a great chin

His stand up style helps negate looping punches, which is what helped him last time against Chuck, and this hasn't changed since the last fight.

Hes much younger than Chuck, and is generally in better shape when he trains.

He has the skills to take Chuck down, and keep him down. The last time Chuck was taken to the ground and kept there, it was against.....Rampage, who he lost to. The time before that, it was against Randy, who he lost to.

Rampage is a smart fighter on the ground. Hes one of the few guys that really works the body on the ground, which will hurt Chuck later in the fight, and what won him the fight last time.

He trains with Tito, who has fought Chuck recently, and will help Rampage overcome him.

Now, a really big one that no one has mentioned. Rampage has the potential to be a fan favorite, even over Chuck. If he gets a few big wins and some mic time, he'll be a star. In the late rounds of a title fight, if he can impose his will, and get the fans to rally behind him, that could really take Chuck out of his game and be the last nail in the casket.

I still think Chuck would win, but I just wanted to post to say "thank you" for bringing out some good food for thought on this (seemingly inevitable) matchup in the "new" UFC. Your angle has deffinitely planted a couple seeds of doubt in my mind.

Post #31   2/6/07 1:10:10AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Hes got a great chin

His stand up style helps negate looping punches, which is what helped him last time against Chuck, and this hasn't changed since the last fight.

He has the skills to take Chuck down, and keep him down. The last time Chuck was taken to the ground and kept there, it was against.....Rampage, who he lost to. The time before that, it was against Randy, who he lost to.

Rampage is a smart fighter on the ground. Hes one of the few guys that really works the body on the ground, which will hurt Chuck later in the fight, and what won him the fight last time.

He trains with Tito, who has fought Chuck recently, and will help Rampage overcome him.

Now, a really big one that no one has mentioned. Rampage has the potential to be a fan favorite, even over Chuck. If he gets a few big wins and some mic time, he'll be a star. In the late rounds of a title fight, if he can impose his will, and get the fans to rally behind him, that could really take Chuck out of his game and be the last nail in the casket.

thats exactly how i see the fight going down...Late rounds via GnP...

Post #32   2/6/07 1:14:05AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by Svartorm

Hes got a great chin

I still think Chuck would win, but I just wanted to post to say "thank you" for bringing out some good food for thought on this (seemingly inevitable) matchup in the "new" UFC. Your angle has deffinitely planted a couple seeds of doubt in my mind.

You can give me "props" once you got that thing ironed out.

And don't get me wrong, Chuck can still win, as Quinton is less than invincible and has lost to lesser opponents than Chuck. If he comes in at 100% and has the fans behind him though, I think Chucks title reign is over. Then maybe he can float up to heavyweight and give that a whirl.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #33   2/6/07 1:20:54AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by Nacho

Chuck's best weapon... supreme confidence.

That confidence was over guys he already beat though. Rampage didn't sqeak out a decision, he DOMINATED Chuck.

I'm sure Chuck will have confidence in his improved skills, but nothing like Tito/Babalu/Randy.

This one is a toss-up, much like Chuck/Wandy. Any given night, it could go either way.

Like someone already stated, we'll have to see more of Rampage first

Post #34   2/6/07 2:20:15AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Hes got a great chin

I never thought about that before. Rampage being the fan favorite over Chuck. This is very possible. But I don't think Chuck really cares about what the audience thinks. It's hard to take a guy out of his mental game when he'll fight anyone for a dollar, but that is a good point I never thought about.

Post #35   2/6/07 3:45:03AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Hes been the fan favorite for awhile now, but the first time he fought Randy, he certainly wasn't, and he fought like absolute crap. Randy beat him standing and on the ground in that one. The second time his popularity had risen because of the show and hes been the face of the UFC ever since.

It might not seem like it would make that much of a difference, but in later rounds when you're tired as hel and the fans are cheering for the guy kicking your ass, it doesn't do much to urge you on.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #36   2/6/07 3:57:42AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Dude if you weren't in the same camp as me I would wager you on this one. When it happens we gotta think up some sort o otherf good bet.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #37   2/6/07 4:04:47AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Did you forget we have a wager for Yvel vs. Sergei already?

I'll put good money on Rampage, provided the senario I've put down above happens.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #38   2/6/07 4:09:14AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Now that we are in the same camp we'll have to cancel it.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #39   2/6/07 4:13:33AM   

Street_Fighter

Learning to Sprawl

Street_Fighter Avatar

Career:327-227
Camp: Team Ninja
Chips:
As much as I like both Liddell and Jackson, I think right now Liddell has the advantage. Fighters have to learn you just can't attack Liddell, because of his great defensive punching power. Liddell waits for the other person to come after him. That's his game plan, and it works every time.

In my own opinion. I think to beat Liddell, he needs to be put in a Muay Thai clinch. Forget trying to take him down. Like I said before, I really like Liddell, but there is someone I think can beat him.

Wanderlei vs Liddell would be a close fight, but even better would be:

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs Chuck "Iceman" Liddell

Would it ever happen?
Only the fans can make it happen.

Post #40   2/6/07 10:22:48AM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:
Jackson + Jesus = Liddell Victory
Jackson - Jesus = Liddell Loss

Post #41   2/6/07 11:08:41AM   

BabbyHughes

MMA Regular

BabbyHughes Avatar

Career:623-389
Camp: Slackers
Chips:

chucks takedown defense is worthless if Rampage picks him up off the ground and slams him...he most likely wont do it and waste his energy,but if he is in trouble and chuck is getting the better of him he can take chuck down at will

Definately. Randy and Tito have different takedown styles as compared to Rampage. Rampage has a unique style that beat Chuck before, and he has a mental advantage because he has already beat Chuck before. I know that the mental advantage of beating someone before doesn't work for every fighter, but I think in Chuck's case it might be that way.

If Chuck is going to win this next fight, he needs to really work on his cardio, because Rampage will bring it 5 rounds. He may not have as good of cardio as Tito, but he still has alot better cardio than Chuck imo. I think Rampage is a whole different fighter now, especially since he doesn't have to worry about money and can focus on building his career in the UFC.

I think the pressure is on Chuck, more than it is on Rampage. This is the biggest threat to Chuck's belt right now.

Post #42   2/6/07 11:12:46AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Dude if you weren't in the same camp as me I would wager you on this one. When it happens we gotta think up some sort o otherf good bet.

we're not in the same camp...

by that time we will prolly have enough for a $1000/$1000 bet.....any bet will do

Last edited 2/6/07 2:50PM server time by Trapt1nw0nder
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #43   2/6/07 2:48:23PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Chips:
Rampage fights tall...he uses his height to his advantage....unlike Tito and Randy who fight short and bend their knees too much and duck their heads.....i know Rampage can beat chuck standing....he's just a better boxer

Last edited 2/6/07 2:59PM server time by Trapt1nw0nder
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #44   2/6/07 2:59:13PM   

Street_Fighter

Learning to Sprawl

Street_Fighter Avatar

Career:327-227
Camp: Team Ninja
Chips:
Rampage doesn't have a good enough chin to handle Liddell. Plus Rampage can't hit hard enough to knock Liddell out. Remember the Liddell Mezger fight? Liddell got hit hard there and recovered so fast, and that's around the same time he fought Rampage. Liddell wasn't as good as he is now.

Post #45   2/6/07 3:52:28PM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5