Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Wanderlei will Disappoint

Print  
Wanderlei's UFC Career will?
Disappoint (Mostly Lose) 13 39%
Dominate All (Become Champ) 13 39%
Failure (KO He's Done) 3 9%
Possibly try out for 1st male ringirl (jk) 4 12%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
I think there is too much hype surrounding Wanderlei in his return to the octagon. His record is impressive, at first glance. If you look deeper, half the guys he KOed have terrible records.

Thats my predictions for his first match against a top UFC LHW.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 9/24/07 10:31AM server time by xxMALICExx
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #1   9/24/07 10:27:11AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I'm on the fence. You could be right, but he could also be a force. For people who've only ever watched the UFC, Silva could be a 205-lb Brandon Vera. But meaner-looking.

Post #2   9/24/07 10:34:52AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,512-1,449
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
the other half of the guys he KOd are very good fighters though, ask rampage how tough he is. dont underestimate wandy based on the fact that some "pride" guys havent lived up to a lot of the hype surrounding them. the guys that have lost are all very good fighters and im sure will adjust to fighting in the US and in a cage at some point.

Post #3   9/24/07 10:36:58AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
Its hard to say if he would be good enough i think he could KO Jardine or even give him Houston Alexander but i think Houston would KO Silva lol No matter who he fight at least he is always intertaining Fight for sure.

Post #4   9/24/07 10:38:20AM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:
He is intimidating as hell. Let's hope he can still back it up

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #5   9/24/07 10:39:46AM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:
I don't underestimate him. I know hes a great fighter. As is Rua, CroCop, and the rest of former Pride fighters. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Post #6   9/24/07 10:42:27AM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:
i think houston alexander vs wanderlei "industries" silva would be a good matchup

Post #7   9/24/07 10:44:43AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

the other half of the guys he KOd are very good fighters though[...]

Right. You also can't evaluate a guy's record while ignoring his Losses. Mark Hunt, Ricardo Arona, Cro Cop, and Hendo. Those are the guys who defeated Wanderlei in the last seven years.

Their combined record, not counting their Wins over Silva, is 58-20. Mark Hunt landed a couple of punches that looked like something out of a comic book, and still only won a Decision. Cro Cop was not only the perfect type of fighter to beat Silva, he was on a roll, kicking the hell out of everybody in 2006.

Silva didn't look right to me in his fight with Henderson, from the opening bell. It will be almost a year between fights by the time he climbs into the Octagon, and if he hasn't got his head back in the game he'll lose to a decent fighter. He's in the same position a lot of guys have been in; some of them have washed out (David Loiseau, Joe Riggs), some of them have come back strong (Georges St. Pierre, Rampage Jackson), and some of them are on the bubble right next to Wandy (Cro Cop, Chuck Liddell).

Last edited 9/24/07 11:00AM server time by AchillesHeel

Post #8   9/24/07 10:59:40AM   

Blizzard

MMA Regular

Blizzard Avatar

Career:1,285-886
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:
I don't underestimate him, I know he is a great fighter. I also belive that his best years are behind him, and he will not dominate the UFC LHW and IMO very unlikely that he will ever have the belt around his waist.
Much the same can be said for Chuck.

Last edited 9/24/07 4:43PM server time by blizzard

Post #9   9/24/07 4:43:20PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
Well Wandy had fought in a cage before......I think he has what it takes to make a difference. It's not like the last 2 fights he lost were against horrible fighters. Come on Cro Cop, one of the most awesome strikers we've ever seen, plus the guy was in a higher weight class than Wandy. Though their weights weren't too far apart. Hendo was already a champ when he beat him, and those two aren't too far apart in weight either.

But I don't know, 2007 has been full of upsets this year. So I geuss you never know.

Post #10   9/24/07 4:54:59PM   

Djbb

Standup Guy

Djbb Avatar

Career:31-27
Camp: Keyboard Warriors of LMAOville
Chips:

Posted by xxMALICExx

He is intimidating as hell. Let's hope he can still back it up

He kinda looks like the guy in your avatar in that pic

Post #11   9/24/07 4:56:23PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
I don't think he's going to disappoint...not if he keeps working with Randy Couture. I wanna see him fight Rampage again. Not right away of course, but it'd be nice to see it next year.

Post #12   9/24/07 5:07:39PM   

KissMyBallz

MMA Regular

KissMyBallz Avatar

Career:7-7
Chips:
I agree and I think his lackluster history in The OCtagon is gonna mess with his head and make him have flashbacks.

I think he might pull out a win but mostly lose and we'll have forgotten all about Wanderlei in a few years.

I honestly think Dana White should force a situation where Wanderlei and Shogun have to fight one another.

Just for kicks.

Post #13   9/24/07 9:17:14PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by cowcatcher

the other half of the guys he KOd are very good fighters though[...]

Right. You also can't evaluate a guy's record while ignoring his Losses. Mark Hunt, Ricardo Arona, Cro Cop, and Hendo. Those are the guys who defeated Wanderlei in the last seven years.

Their combined record, not counting their Wins over Silva, is 58-20. Mark Hunt landed a couple of punches that looked like something out of a comic book, and still only won a Decision. Cro Cop was not only the perfect type of fighter to beat Silva, he was on a roll, kicking the hell out of everybody in 2006.

Silva didn't look right to me in his fight with Henderson, from the opening bell. It will be almost a year between fights by the time he climbs into the Octagon, and if he hasn't got his head back in the game he'll lose to a decent fighter. He's in the same position a lot of guys have been in; some of them have washed out (David Loiseau, Joe Riggs), some of them have come back strong (Georges St. Pierre, Rampage Jackson), and some of them are on the bubble right next to Wandy (Cro Cop, Chuck Liddell).

I can't give you props 'cause I got to share the love, but the is a quality, well thought out post. Someone give the man some props.

One thing I think we all do to much of is dismiss a fighter when he goes through a rough patch. Things can be turned around for fighters like Chuck and Cro Cop. Shogun will come back to his old form if he puts his mind to it. People dismissed Couture after his back to back losses to Chuck. No one thought A. Silva was gonna turn out like he did after his loss to Chonan. No one thought Forrest would reach his current level after his loss to Jardine.

Fighters are going to lose and for every Murilo Bustamante, there is a Rampage Jackson. One fell out of the sport, one revamped his career and kept improving.

Post #14   9/25/07 12:47:25AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Totally with you there, Wanderlei has taken some losses, but only against high quality opposition, and even then he has hardly lost, 4 losses in 7 years, that nearly a loss once every 2 years, not many others can boast a record like that!

His fight with Hunt impressed me immensely, and gave me a lot of respect for both fighters. Hunt showed an impressive innate ring ability, not getting stuck on the ground, and while he could have used his power to explode out of bad positions, he didn't really do that, as he didn't allow himself to get into many bad positions. Wanderlei impressed me with his ability to take a punch, he took some monster shots from Hunt, and had his chin tested hard. Granted he was loser, and I think the one vote he got in the split decision was a bit of a sympathy vote imo, as to me, Hunt clearly won, but both fighters looked amazing in that fight, one of my favourite all time fights.

Post #15   9/25/07 7:32:59AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2