Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Shogun bandwagon

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Weird that he gassed so badly. Hes had some extremely high-paced fights in Pride where he didn't get that tired.

My brother and I were talking about it and, being an asthmatic, he mentioned that the air quality in the places you fight and train makes a huge difference as far as your cardio goes. Japan has clean air, decent humidity and most of the places they fight are near sea level, so perhaps fighting in Vegas, which has extremely dry air, a bit of altitude and a bit of air pollution might have an effect on fighters not used to it.

Actually, China is in a bit of trouble for the upcoming Olympics because their air quality is so terrible, and it will have an adverse effect on athletes.

This is probably the case. I also heard in Japan he did a **** tour to prepare for his fights, which would usually involve going around and having relations with 50 asians to loosen him up. But he tried this in Vegas, and had a burning sensation after the first woman. It really messed up his cardio. I think for his next fight he's going to have to ship in some of that grade "A" asian tail.

Post #16   9/23/07 9:29:54AM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
I love Forrest, but Shogun is one of my favorite fighters of all time. I just lost ALL of my mmaplayground money on that fight. It looked like Shogun hadn't trained at all. I will never forget that dreadrul day. Maybe now Shogun will realize that these UFC fighters are no joke and start training like he used to, or maybe even better, especially for cardio. Give me a freakin break. Hell, Pride had 10 minute first rounds!! Shogun was tired at the beginning of the second.

Post #17   9/24/07 11:53:32AM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
Randy called it, the cage is a different world as opposed to the pride ring, its a huge transition that not many pridefc fighters can ajust too.

Post #18   9/24/07 12:01:09PM   

sakusback7

I'm banned and have no life

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Weird that he gassed so badly. Hes had some extremely high-paced fights in Pride where he didn't get that tired.

My brother and I were talking about it and, being an asthmatic, he mentioned that the air quality in the places you fight and train makes a huge difference as far as your cardio goes. Japan has clean air, decent humidity and most of the places they fight are near sea level, so perhaps fighting in Vegas, which has extremely dry air, a bit of altitude and a bit of air pollution might have an effect on fighters not used to it.

Actually, China is in a bit of trouble for the upcoming Olympics because their air quality is so terrible, and it will have an adverse effect on athletes.

interesting theory

Post #19   9/24/07 12:11:46PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:

Posted by sakusback7

Posted by Svartorm

interesting theory

Iprefer randys theory, the air cant be that bad in california, can it ??

Post #20   9/24/07 4:10:21PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by keith-hackney1

Iprefer randys theory, the air cant be that bad in california, can it ??

No, the air is great. That colorful fog you see in the sky is pure oxygen!

Post #21   9/24/07 4:13:20PM   

Lethalweapon

Learning to Sprawl

Career:30-20
Camp: American Fighter
Chips:
I think that Shogun gassed out so quickly because he is used to the long 10 min first round in pride. Now when you put a break in the middle of that 10 min it does not translate well to Shoguns circaidian rhythm and his body is thrown off by it. Basically when Forrest goes back to his corner after the first round his body knows it is rest time and gets effective time to recover. However Shoguns body is still kicked up to high gear and his body does not get good use out of the rest period between the rounds because in Pride no such rest exsists. As for people predicting a change in the rules to effect Shogun I saw no such thing. He didn't get trapped on the fence and he actually landed an awesome elbow that cut Forrest. I think that Shoguns main concern is training to his cardio to be effective in UFC competition. I don't think it will be a problem for Shogun. Congrats to Forrest!

Post #22   9/24/07 4:43:44PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Japan has clean air, decent humidity and most of the places they fight are near sea level, so perhaps fighting in Vegas, which has extremely dry air, a bit of altitude and a bit of air pollution might have an effect on fighters not used to it.

You must be talking about Japan, but excluding the Tokyo area. I've been to Tokyo and it has some of the worst air quality that I've ever experienced.

Post #23   9/25/07 10:56:01AM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:
I am not making excuses, but after the fight I realized this: The prior week on the Elite XC show when Ninja was fighting the announcers mentioned that Shogun wasn't able to attend because he was on his honeymoon. I know for a fact he just got married, but did he seriously go on a honeymoon just a couple weeks before he had his debut in the UFC? If so that could explain his gassing.

I had that on another thread but it fist better here. I am sure another reason why Rua gassed is the adrenaline dump. Making his debut in the UFC had to carry with it some more nerves. I know he has been in big shows before, but he was used to Pride. I am sure the change in venue/rules made him a little more nervous. Rampage admitted to this happening to him in his UFC debut.

Post #24   9/25/07 2:56:16PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2