Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hughes: Serra Is A Bad Example

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Matt Hughes has branded fellow Ultimate Fighter 6 coach Matt Serra a terrible example for young UFC fans. Hughes and Serra are the head coaches training two teams of hopefuls trying to secure a contract with the UFC.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   9/22/07 11:35:14AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
i think its great for TV but for the young fans i think they are a lil out there, but they both are trying to win

Post #2   9/22/07 11:47:01AM   

MeanGreene

Banned

Career:167-99
Chips:
I dont see Matt doin great at 185lbs

Post #3   9/22/07 12:01:35PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
I think arrogance sets a bad example for the youth, and Matt Hughes has that covered... At least Matt Serra is genuine.

Post #4   9/22/07 12:23:56PM   

CiaoBaby

MMA Regular

CiaoBaby Avatar

Career:688-482
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:
I don't like Serra myself, and I can see Hughes point about the profanity and all, but I dont know, just cause he's champ is he supposed to act like a different person?

Post #5   9/22/07 1:19:09PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
Even if Serra wasn't on the show, Hughes' kids still would be unable to watch due to Dana White explative usage, so that point doesnt hold contention with me. Obviously Serra suffers from a Napoleonic complex, but I think his ego has been further inflated since April. It's his 15 minutes, soak it up however he may choose. I feel a wee bit sorry for him because the fall from the top may be harsh and I just don't see him able to crack his way back into title contention, at least in WW.
Concerning Hughes comment:

I really can’t see it overtaking the NFL as that’s pretty well loved here in the States, but I’m happy with where we’re at right now

I can see MMA surpassing the NFL, especially in foreign markets where the NFL is having a real hard time establishing/maintaining a presence; NFL Europa just folded and GSP is likely to be more popular than any CFL player. Also, the NFL is experiencing a multitude of bad publicity. I think the UFC should hold an event on Superbowl Sunday with a teaser fight during halftime on Spike then go live as the final whistle sounds. Imagine the millions of people tuning into Spike whilst Tom Brady proclaims that he's going to Disneyland.
As far as Hughes specualtion of moving to MW, I would definitely like to see Hughes vs. Leben/Terrel/Marquadt/Okami.

-OUT-

Post #6   9/22/07 1:56:08PM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
when dana is the face of the company serras occasional cursing is a total non issue

Post #7   9/22/07 2:29:47PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
I got to respect Matt Serra for beating one of my favorite fighters, though i would much rather see GSP still holding the belt, i deff. don't want to see matt hughes wear it again. Serra totally has Matt's character down pat, and i agree, when you got tons of friends who needs a fake one, i can't wait to see this fight... im not, im not a Serra fan, but i love to see Hughes get his ass kicked!

Post #8   9/22/07 2:52:51PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
I think Serra is a lot more cocky now after he's won the belt. I can understand why he's gloating - no one expected him to win - but he's taking it too far now.

Post #9   9/22/07 3:09:23PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,228-1,515
Chips:
Matt who?
Oh Matt Hughes...that guy who USED TO BE champ.
He's perfect, don't you know?
It's everyone else that has the issues.
He can criticize who he wants....but I am not sure "good ole boys" from Iowa are the best role models for America's youth either.

Post #10   9/22/07 3:10:13PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,486-872
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Even if Serra wasn't on the show, Hughes' kids still would be unable to watch due to Dana White explative usage, so that point doesnt hold contention with me. Obviously Serra suffers from a Napoleonic complex, but I think his ego has been further inflated since April. It's his 15 minutes, soak it up however he may choose. I feel a wee bit sorry for him because the fall from the top may be harsh and I just don't see him able to crack his way back into title contention, at least in WW.
Concerning Hughes comment:

I really can’t see it overtaking the NFL as that’s pretty well loved here in the States, but I’m happy with where we’re at right now

I can see MMA surpassing the NFL, especially in foreign markets where the NFL is having a real hard time establishing/maintaining a presence; NFL Europa just folded and GSP is likely to be more popular than any CFL player. Also, the NFL is experiencing a multitude of bad publicity. I think the UFC should hold an event on Superbowl Sunday with a teaser fight during halftime on Spike then go live as the final whistle sounds. Imagine the millions of people tuning into Spike whilst Tom Brady proclaims that he's going to Disneyland.
As far as Hughes specualtion of moving to MW, I would definitely like to see Hughes vs. Leben/Terrel/Marquadt/Okami.

-OUT-

I agree 100% about Hughes talking about Serra,when Dana Whites language is much worse than the champs.

Post #11   9/22/07 5:07:19PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
I'm not a big fan of either fighter, but if I was on the show I would rather have Hughes over Serra as my coach.

Post #12   9/22/07 6:26:46PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
I think Serra is handling himself fine. He might come off a little arrogant, but he's a fighter, he's hungry to defend, what can you expect? Of course Serra seems to be more cocky since he won the belt, but big deal. Its pretty hard to find a champion that doesn't exactly come off as cocky at one point or another.

And of course this has been said, but the whole cursing thing, holds no weight.

Post #13   9/22/07 6:40:55PM   

d_block07

MMA Regular

d_block07 Avatar

Career:150-70
Camp: Team Punishment 2007
Chips:
I dont get why serra acts that way i think he is threatened by hughes. Hughes hasnt disrespected him at all that ive seen. he said that he wasnt top 5 WW which is arguably true. Serra just goes out of his way to say he dosent like hughes becasue he knows hughes is gonna take his belt and hes just clinging to the fact the he has it now so he can act like hes the man. i hope we see a team hughes blowout i really dont like serra hes definetly more disrepectful and cocky than hughes and he hasnt accomplished nearly the amount the hughes has so he should maybe show respect.

Post #14   9/22/07 6:44:53PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
I like them both. Its just another dramatised reality show when it comes to the coaches. Thats the point. It keeps viewers interested. But the fights are legit. Its a good show. But at the end of the first show, when Serra was yelling at his fighter(and friend), he called him a fxxckin pussy. Not a good coach or friend in my book. I lost a lot of respect for him.

Post #15   9/22/07 7:04:55PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2