Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

User opinions wanted: help decide the future of the wagering system

Print  
What would you like to see done with the site's wagering system?
Leave things as they are and just spend some time policing wagers after each event 89 30%
Change/replace the current system with an odds-based house only wagering system 72 25%
Leave the current system in place but force all wagers to loosely adhere to a money line 18 6%
Add an odds-powered house wagering system, but leave the current system in place as it is 68 23%
Add an odds-powered house system and leave current system in place with odds guidelines 36 12%
Something else entirely 9 3%
  Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:919-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Just don't do any fishy wagers with him and you'll be fine, just changed it the other day because I had literally 6 folks that I was 98% sure were gamers contact the site asking why they can't log in when it was obvious manipulation. "My brother really did want to wager $500 on Lutter to my $200 on Silva", etc.

i think you jsut got to make a rule with a big underdog you can't go lower then even.

Post #31   2/5/07 6:03:52PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,825-1,139
Chips:

Posted by nellyhiphophead

how many fake wagers hae you found and took back?? how bad is it?

Without actually counting I'd say we've gotten 20-30 reports here from the "report suspected manipulation" button, a dozen site contacts on the subject, plus 9 others that I handled myself before the stats were event posted live on the site. Still havne't sorted through them all yet either and we're still getting more reports...

Post #32   2/5/07 6:05:07PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Without actually counting I'd say we've gotten 20-30 reports here from the "report suspected manipulation" button, a dozen site contacts on the subject, plus 9 others that I handled myself before the stats were event posted live on the site. Still havne't sorted through them all yet either and we're still getting more reports...

wow thats getting up there. well i hope those few don't mess up the great way we get to make our wagering anyother way i would just get bord make my picks and wagers with the house and leave the websight till the show was over but with it being this way i'm always on looking for good wagers and posting on the forums i hope you guys don't change it.

Post #33   2/5/07 6:10:58PM   

TequilaMan2000

#1 Man's Man Fan

TequilaMan2000 Avatar

Career:495-218
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
How about you make some of the more responsible team members "monitors" or "game mods" or something like that..?

They don't even have to be a forum mod. They can just be trusted to evaluate wager manipulation. Sort of like many sets of eyes watching the wagers of team members...

Post #34   2/5/07 6:24:38PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by TequilaMan2000

How about you make some of the more responsible team members "monitors" or "game mods" or something like that..?

They don't even have to be a forum mod. They can just be trusted to evaluate wager manipulation. Sort of like many sets of eyes watching the wagers of team members...[/QUOTE
i would help out with that

Post #35   2/5/07 6:35:18PM   

illkornstar

Learning to Sprawl

Career:187-100
Chips:

Posted by TequilaMan2000

They don't even have to be a forum mod. They can just be trusted to evaluate wager manipulation. Sort of like many sets of eyes watching the wagers of team members...

i would even help with that if that was an issue.

maybe even have a section of the forum to post where you have edited the wagers of users stating to the other players who they are and to put their name out there as possible cheaters, people may be less likely to cheat if everyone knows.

Last edited 2/5/07 8:06PM server time by illkornstar
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #36   2/5/07 7:57:26PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,573-1,539
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
The only way to make it completely uncheatable is a house backed odds wagering system. You could also include a parley calculator to make it more fun. Add the fact it takes sometime just trying people to wager with you , and it seems the onle sensible way IMO.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #37   2/5/07 10:27:06PM   

Thalzaar

Learning to Sprawl

Thalzaar Avatar

Career:1,231-735
Camp: Mack Mafia Hitsquad
Chips:
I voted to add a house wagering system. I like the way the current system works, even if i haven't had a chance to wager with it. However, there is a big potential for taking advantage and, even though it doesn't affect anything, there is a huge amount of work for the mods here to keep things straight. In fact, it's probably gonna be too much work, once the site increases as the site gets more popular and more users arrive. I have faith that they will make the right decision however, and i'll stick around through whatever they decide

Post #38   2/5/07 10:49:43PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Chips:

i think you jsut got to make a rule with a big underdog you can't go lower then even.

Perhaps make a rule that in any circumstance where ewhere 2/3 of site members have picked one fighter to win over the other that any wagers on that fight must be at least 2:1... any fights where one fighter is chosen over 80% of the time to win that the wager odds must be at least 4:1? This is kind of like enforcing some site-based odds on a fight while still leaving a pretty large amount of room for wager negotations?

In terms of policing wagers... we could perhaps make a new classification of site moderator just for the sole purpose of policing and enforcing all things pertaining to wagers and make new site rules relating to "don't make retarded wagers" (except in a more detailed and refined language). Maybe it would take a vote of 5 of these "police" to nullify a user's wager (although in theory this could wind up being abused as well).

Maybe the rule of "you cannot wage those in your household or in your fight camp" could be applied as well?

Just sort of talking out loud, tryng to find a happy medium that will keep things community oriented while still being fair... let me go get some more beers now to open up to more ideas

Post #39   2/5/07 10:53:10PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Pyrenus

Why not require a unique IP and/or email with validation for each user account to cut down on people creating multiple accounts to place wagers against themselves?

You can do this?

Post #40   2/5/07 10:54:02PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Just wanted to add to this one, that quite a few of these are overlapping items... just want to paint as accurate a picture here as possible on things.

Post #41   2/5/07 11:02:43PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Pyrenus

Why not require a unique IP and/or email with validation for each user account to cut down on people creating multiple accounts to place wagers against themselves?

You can do this?

See this post

Post #42   2/5/07 11:03:48PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Chips:
Also just wanted to add the thanks and appreciation from the staff here for all the positive compliments that many have offered in this thread

Our end-goal is to make a fun game to play and a civil and mature community in which to enjoy and discuss what (we think) to be the most exciting and booming sport on the planet today. If you can think of something to make this game fun and this community be the place to be, we will make it happen.

Post #43   2/5/07 11:36:34PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,254
Chips:
A few ideas:

I like the "bounty" on finding rigged accounts. Make it something like $5-$10, and it won't be worth someone making two fake e-mails to make two fake accounts to make a foolish bet between the two fake accounts to report it to make $5.

I don't know much about programming, but would it help moderate if anytime a wager was made that was vastly different than the money line, that it sent the mods a message as being a possible violation? That way hunting for these things wouldn't be hard, as you'd have them all lined up as if they were violations.

A less popular, but more effective route would be to make the site a pay site and cost $1 to make an account. People would be less inclined to pay real money to cheat to win fake money.

You've also mentioned the props system you're working on. How about you make it so you can't wager against people unless you have a certain number of props? That way someone with a fake account would actually have to go into the forum, and not only post, but make intelligent conversation before being allowed to bet. That much work for fake money would definitely cut back on cheating.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #44   2/5/07 11:41:23PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,254
Chips:
Oh, and as for the house betting, I think that would be cool, but to keep people waging with each other, you could set it so you can only bet a certain amount with the house. Say you can only bet half your total money with the house, that way if people want to bet the other half, they need to fight people online to do it with.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #45   2/5/07 11:48:26PM   

Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6