Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

User opinions wanted: help decide the future of the wagering system

Print  
What would you like to see done with the site's wagering system?
Leave things as they are and just spend some time policing wagers after each event 89 30%
Change/replace the current system with an odds-based house only wagering system 72 25%
Leave the current system in place but force all wagers to loosely adhere to a money line 18 6%
Add an odds-powered house wagering system, but leave the current system in place as it is 68 23%
Add an odds-powered house system and leave current system in place with odds guidelines 36 12%
Something else entirely 9 3%
  Page 2 of 6     1     2     3     4     5   >>
Posted By Message

Darwinist

Learning to Sprawl

Darwinist Avatar

Career:369-188
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
If you feel that people aren´t reporting enough suspicious betting behaviour, how about introducing an incentive-based approach? Every report that turns out to be legit nets a "finder's fee" of $10 or something......

Post #16   2/5/07 2:52:56PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:919-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
i like that idea

Last edited 2/5/07 2:57PM server time by nellyhiphophead
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   2/5/07 2:57:30PM   

katsumoto

Learning to Sprawl

katsumoto Avatar

Career:387-229
Camp: Team Dagger
Chips:
I really enjoy the current system. This is a unique website and I think it has a lot of potential in its current form. Add a system with house odds if you wish, but I think much of what is unique and enjoyable about this site is the fact that it allows users to interact while making bets, and in a sense barter for odds they are willing to take. I think this goes quite a bit farther to making this site a community, as you stated was one of your goals, rather than a house odds system alone. If you only allowed us to wager using house odds the interaction between users with drastically decrease and would remove much of the personality that has begun to develop with this website. It may require a little more effort on your part, but I hope you see that it will be worth it.

It is discouraging that some try and abuse the wagering system, and I know its a hassle for you to deal with, but from all of us out there who were involved with the first round of fantasy wagers, you guys are doing a great job. Firstly for polling the users to see what we want, rather than just making the changes and us having to deal with it. Second, for providing such a unique idea in a time of exploding popularity for MMA. You guys are doing a great job and we all really appreciate it.
Bottom line: PLEASE KEEP THE CURRENT SYSTEM!!!!! (add anything you wish but keep the opportunity for us to interact with other users to make bets, it adds a entirely different level to the fantasy game) and keep up the good work!!!

KT

Post #18   2/5/07 3:52:54PM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:

Posted by TequilaMan2000

Posted by nellyhiphophead

i think we should jsut leave it but police it i you find anyone doing bets like then they get kicked out. or just make a line like the underdog can't give odds can only get odds. if you go to betting with the house it will turn out like yo guys said were ppl just come the last few days and mke there bets and picks then not come back to the sight till after to see how they did. they wont sit on here and post onhere as much at all.

Personally, I like the current system. We just need to police it better for cheaters.

Employ the help of the players, and they can report anything suspicious, and help you out immensely.

Yeah, what he said. Some thoughts...

The current system is easy to understand for those of us who dont know odds style wagering.

Having an option to bet with the house under odds would be a nice addition though.

Part of the fun of this type of wagering system is that there are people who have favorite fighters and are willing to wager huge bets even on an underdog. Let the stupid people make stupid bets. I am okay with that.

I am sure as time goes on the "extra accounts" and "cheating" will be weeded out. Seems like alot of energy wasted but that's some people for ya.

What about setting up a "challenge" type policy to have the members help out with the policing of the wagers. If a member could submit a challenge to a wager and win some of those "cheated" points if correct or lose some of their own points if they were wrong (kind of like claiming an engine in racing). It might offer incentive to help the board members police themselves.

Just a thought, or two

Post #19   2/5/07 3:57:14PM   

jdb487

Learning to Sprawl

jdb487 Avatar

Career:80-35
Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Far too many people including myself dont understand the Odds system. If it were to be put in place i think it should be explained............heavily.

agreed

Post #20   2/5/07 3:59:37PM   

Scorpiorising

Learning to Sprawl

Scorpiorising Avatar

Career:41-31
Chips:
i like the way it is but if you need more mods finding this stuff out i'd be down i have the time to help.

Post #21   2/5/07 4:01:21PM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:

Posted by Darwinist

If you feel that people aren´t reporting enough suspicious betting behaviour, how about introducing an incentive-based approach? Every report that turns out to be legit nets a "finder's fee" of $10 or something......

Same idea just several ways to approach it. Might be important for the "reporting member" to have to put up some of their own money (in case they are wrong) if they are challenging someone elses wager. Should keep the frivolous reports down a bit.

Post #22   2/5/07 4:02:04PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I went with adding the odds based system and leaving the current one. My second choice however would be to leave it as is. I like betting odds and want to be able to do that here, however the betting here is unique, fun and as has been said community minded. I like it.. If you leave it as is I can still bet the lines on another site. If you take away this interactive betting, there won't be anywhere for us to do it like this. I also fear that you might lose a lot of people that don't understand the odds system. This has grown much faster than any other fantasy mma site I have seen and I think it's cuz ppl like the ease of use.

Post #23   2/5/07 4:27:17PM   

Sagat_GSP12

MMA Regular

Sagat_GSP12 Avatar

Career:36-25
Chips:
An option to bet against the house would be a nice addition to the current format, but a lot of the fun is betting against live users the your bankroll that way. Plus if you take away the current system that would take away from fight camps "going to war" against each other. It's also nice for the purpose of bragging rights to make people put their money where their mouth is.

Post #24   2/5/07 4:49:31PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Chips:
by the sounds of it to me ppl like it the way it is lets keep it change nothing

Post #25   2/5/07 4:55:46PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,825-1,139
Chips:

Posted by strikefirstgear

Posted by Darwinist

Same idea just several ways to approach it. Might be important for the "reporting member" to have to put up some of their own money (in case they are wrong) if they are challenging someone elses wager. Should keep the frivolous reports down a bit.

Part of the problem is that there isn't always a 100% way to prove that something was manipulated... and although we've now changed things to say "one account per household" we've run up against people who swear that there roommate/wife/brother/workmate is playing the game too from the same location. I'm sure in the process we're going to wind up banning some innocent folks, but juding things at face value things do appear manipulated in these cases.

Post #26   2/5/07 5:38:45PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Chips:
how many fake wagers hae you found and took back?? how bad is it?

Post #27   2/5/07 5:44:10PM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:
What when was this changed, one of my housemates DOES play, we've never betted together and aren't on the same team so does one of us have to quit now?

Post #28   2/5/07 5:46:08PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,825-1,139
Chips:

Posted by D-Boy

What when was this changed, one of my housemates DOES play, we've never betted together and aren't on the same team so does one of us have to quit now?

Just don't do any fishy wagers with him and you'll be fine, just changed it the other day because I had literally 6 folks that I was 98% sure were gamers contact the site asking why they can't log in when it was obvious manipulation. "My brother really did want to wager $500 on Lutter to my $200 on Silva", etc.

Post #29   2/5/07 5:59:23PM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by D-Boy

Just don't do any fishy wagers with him and you'll be fine, just changed it the other day because I had literally 6 folks that I was 98% sure were gamers contact the site asking why they can't log in when it was obvious manipulation. "My brother really did want to wager $500 on Lutter to my $200 on Silva", etc.

kk thanks for clearing that up I didn't want to have to be mean and stop him playing

Post #30   2/5/07 6:02:44PM   

Page 2 of 6     1     2     3     4     5   >>