Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

User opinions wanted: help decide the future of the wagering system

Print  
What would you like to see done with the site's wagering system?
Leave things as they are and just spend some time policing wagers after each event 89 30%
Change/replace the current system with an odds-based house only wagering system 72 25%
Leave the current system in place but force all wagers to loosely adhere to a money line 18 6%
Add an odds-powered house wagering system, but leave the current system in place as it is 68 23%
Add an odds-powered house system and leave current system in place with odds guidelines 36 12%
Something else entirely 9 3%
  Page 1 of 6     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,458-907
Chips:
In the forming of the wager system for this site we had the goal of making it easy to understand and use for everyone, even those without experience in +/- odds style wagers. Most all sports gambling sites on the net use +/- odds and have all wagers done against "the house", so we wanted to experiment with a different approach, one that would get site members to interact and perhaps get to know each other, with the end result (hopefully) being that the site becomes a "community" rather than simply a sterile "tool" that people check and use a couple days before a big event.

After our first event though, we've seen that the current state of the wagering system may need to be changed, which is how things go when a site is in "beta". We have spent far too much time since UFC 67 investigating and weeding out folks with multiple accounts wagering absurd items against themselves, and as the site continues to grow we can only expect this behavior to grow. Hell, one user even wagered (against himself via a secondary account) $1 on CroCop, $500 on Eddie lol. Since the actual site rankings and winner will be chosen based on points (which cannot be manipulated), it was kind of surprising to see so many folks try to "game" the wagering system where there is no actual real life reward (aside from being a fun side-game and an outlet to use to avoid spending your real hard-earned dollars on fights).

As such, here is a poll that we'd like everyone possible to vote on to help us decide which route is the best for the community to take. Which would you like to see happen:

1) Leave things as they are, bite the bullet and spend a bit of time policing things after each event

2) Change/replace the current system to work like regular sports betting sites do where everyone is betting against the house rather than each other using site a generated +/- odds money line

3) Leave the current system in place, but force all wagers to loosely adhere to a site-generated money line*

4) Add an odds-powered house wagering system, but leave the current system in place as it is

5) Add an odds-powered house wagering system, and leave the current system in place but with a loosely enforced money line in place for each wager

6) Do something else entirely (if you choose this one, please explain it in this post)

We'll leave this up for a week or so then take it from there.

* By "loosely enforced" guidelines we are speaking of some sort of algorithm where the amounts wagered are dictated by odds, but with some room to tweak things. For example, one source's odds listed Mirko at -1400, Sanchez at +900. We would set things up so that there was room to make a wager 100 above or below the set moneyline on each fighter so that you still have some flexibility and room to breath on your bets.... this may be a little more complex than the original goal of making things simple and easy to use though.

Last edited 2/5/07 11:51AM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/5/07 11:28:12AM   

thestaton

Learning to Sprawl

thestaton Avatar

Career:263-155
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I like this option "Add an odds-powered house wagering system, but leave the current system in place as it is".

It lets those of us who like the vegas odds style to make our bets and it lets those who prefer the current system.

Post #2   2/5/07 11:59:40AM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:917-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
i think we should jsut leave it but police it i you find anyone doing bets like then they get kicked out. or just make a line like the underdog can't give odds can only get odds. if you go to betting with the house it will turn out like yo guys said were ppl just come the last few days and mke there bets and picks then not come back to the sight till after to see how they did. they wont sit on here and post onhere as much at all.

Last edited 2/5/07 12:15PM server time by nellyhiphophead

Post #3   2/5/07 12:13:18PM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
Why not require a unique IP and/or email with validation for each user account to cut down on people creating multiple accounts to place wagers against themselves?

Post #4   2/5/07 12:56:46PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pyrenus

Why not require a unique IP and/or email with validation for each user account to cut down on people creating multiple accounts to place wagers against themselves?

ya i feel that only be able to makeon e account per email

Post #5   2/5/07 12:58:37PM   

Scuggz

Learning to Sprawl

Scuggz Avatar

Career:31-19
Chips:
I mean it's all for fun anyway, and I enjoyed it after the first event. I actually really like the wagering with other users and such.

I think as time goes on it will stop. Looking at the wealthiest players list, you can see who people are wagering against. If one person is constantly betting against the same people over and over again for $1 vs $500, then obviously something is up with them, and they can just be reported and removed or whatever.

You could also maybe think about adding in a rule where you have to bet against new people each event. That may make it more difficult for those goofballs. But either way, it's all for fun, and adds a bit more excitement to the MMA event. I enjoyed it regardless of what others may or may not be doing!.

Post #6   2/5/07 12:59:51PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Scuggz

I mean it's all for fun anyway, and I enjoyed it after the first event. I actually really like the wagering with other users and such.

I think as time goes on it will stop. Looking at the wealthiest players list, you can see who people are wagering against. If one person is constantly betting against the same people over and over again for $1 vs $500, then obviously something is up with them, and they can just be reported and removed or whatever.

You could also maybe think about adding in a rule where you have to bet against new people each event. That may make it more difficult for those goofballs. But either way, it's all for fun, and adds a bit more excitement to the MMA event. I enjoyed it regardless of what others may or may not be doing!.

i wouldn't like that you have to wager with other ppl every event cause even after the first event you start to kind of know ppl and might like making bets with them i think as long as us as players report things that don't look right and the ppl on this sight keep there eyes open it shouldn't get to bad.

Post #7   2/5/07 1:03:11PM   

TequilaMan2000

#1 Man's Man Fan

TequilaMan2000 Avatar

Career:495-218
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by nellyhiphophead

i think we should jsut leave it but police it i you find anyone doing bets like then they get kicked out. or just make a line like the underdog can't give odds can only get odds. if you go to betting with the house it will turn out like yo guys said were ppl just come the last few days and mke there bets and picks then not come back to the sight till after to see how they did. they wont sit on here and post onhere as much at all.

Personally, I like the current system. We just need to police it better for cheaters.

Employ the help of the players, and they can report anything suspicious, and help you out immensely.

Post #8   2/5/07 1:04:38PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Chips:
i'm happy we are both on the same page!!!!!! there is no way i want to bet with the huse everyfight.

Post #9   2/5/07 1:06:07PM   

Scuggz

Learning to Sprawl

Scuggz Avatar

Career:31-19
Chips:

Posted by Scuggz

i wouldn't like that you have to wager with other ppl every event cause even after the first event you start to kind of know ppl and might like making bets with them i think as long as us as players report things that don't look right and the ppl on this sight keep there eyes open it shouldn't get to bad.

Good point.. I actually agree, that was just a suggestion if it continues to get bad. Your right though, if someone wagers and gets a lot of my money, you know he is the first person I'm going to bet with the next event. And it does help with getting to know people. I also found that a lot of my placed wagers were not answered and I struggled finding people to wager, so getting people you know will wager with you, will help.

Last edited 2/5/07 1:14PM server time by scuggz
2 total post edits

Post #10   2/5/07 1:12:41PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Far too many people including myself dont understand the Odds system. If it were to be put in place i think it should be explained............heavily.

Post #11   2/5/07 1:29:28PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,458-907
Chips:

ya i feel that only be able to makeon e account per email

As it stands now you may only make one account per email address.

Posted by Pyrenus

Dial-up users or other users that are on an ISP that employs a proxy server at any level will have different IP addresses almost every time they are connected to the net, so this isn't a surefire way to police things. IP's are considered in the investigative process that the mods have set up though, but I'd rather not elaborate on things so as to give scammers a further advantage in trying to game things.

Another problem we've run against is folks who claim that they have roommates and/or other family members in the same house that they want to play with... even if IP's were consistent, how can we possibly know what is and is not legit?

Also, what happens if someone on the site is just a huge fan of the underdog? Some people honestly did believe that Lutter would win... it's hard to police what is and is not a valid and real wager in a case like that. Just some food for thought.

Post #12   2/5/07 1:45:42PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Chips:
on the last part of that with th underdog then let them make a even odds bet. anyone he makes that wager withwill take it cause most the other ppl will be wanting odds on that fight anyways.

Post #13   2/5/07 1:47:52PM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Chips:
if you make it "Add an odds-powered house wagering system, but leave the current system in place as it i" then every one will just bet with the house. why not you might ask cause if your wagering anoter person one will get better odds then the house gives and the other would get worse so who ever is getting the worse then the house would just go and make a bet with the house t get the bette odds.

Post #14   2/5/07 1:54:23PM   

Nacho

MMA Regular

Nacho Avatar

Career:137-83
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
It looks like there is a definite preference for odds based betting. Leaving things as they are is leading the polls only because the odds based betting options are divided between house only and allowing bets amongst players. Did I just confuse anyone? Just look at the poll graph and add up the odds based betting numbers all together.

Post #15   2/5/07 2:43:49PM   

Page 1 of 6     1     2     3     4   >>