Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

EliteXC's Potential Matchups

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
With the recent success of the EliteXC: Uprising event and the high-valued acquisitions of fighters such as Murilo Rua, Robbie Lawler, and Nick Diaz, the potential for EliteXC to bring some major competition to the U.S. MMA market has certainly heated up.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   9/21/07 11:35:45AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
Half of his suggestions have either already been rumored, and proven to not be true, or are virtually impossible.

First off, Riggs has said he will never fight at 170 again... and Diaz has said hes comfy at the 160 mark... so... No.

Diaz and Melendez are the best of friends... so... no matter how much money (according to Diaz) he isnt fighting Gil. So... No.

Gomi will not fight for a strictly US based org... He simply has too much support in Japan. Aside from another co-promoted show with Heros, if he should sign there, no chance... So... once again... No. Plus, even if the Heros/XC show came through, I dont see Gomi signing on for a rematch after the first fight. Gomi isnt the Gomi of old...

Diaz/Kid? Not only no, but hell no. You are trying to match up fighters at weight classes twenty pounds apart. No.

I could go on, but why? Its clear, yet another news piece written with no actual substance.

Name drops and fantasy worlds where weight classes, fight camps and countries have no boundaries. This is the world of an uninformed MMA journalist...

Last edited 9/21/07 3:12PM server time by rcg916
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   9/21/07 3:11:21PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
The article states that Diaz and Melendez will never fight each other.

Riggs can say that all he wants, but when the money is correct, he'll fight at 170, especially if he gets beat soon.

Gomi is actually rumored in Japan to be shopping U.S. organizations, and EliteXC has an Asian market with Spirit MC, I think they will get a TV deal over there because of it.

Also, the article states to ignore logic, it's simply a conversation starter, at the bottom, it actually says to comment on your potential picks.

Post #3   9/21/07 6:03:16PM   

Chris_Rendleman

Learning to Sprawl

Chris_Rendleman Avatar

Career:79-59
Chips:
im so excited!!

Post #4   9/21/07 6:16:12PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Chris_Rendleman

im so excited!!

Can you hide it?

Are you about to lose control and think you like it?

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #5   9/21/07 6:27:27PM   

Chris_Rendleman

Learning to Sprawl

Chris_Rendleman Avatar

Career:79-59
Chips:

Posted by zephead

im so excited!!

Can you hide it?

*picks up mic*

*breaks into amazing rendition of that timeless classic*

Post #6   9/21/07 6:29:18PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by LR

Riggs can say that all he wants, but when the money is correct, he'll fight at 170, especially if he gets beat soon.

Gomi is actually rumored in Japan to be shopping U.S. organizations, and EliteXC has an Asian market with Spirit MC, I think they will get a TV deal over there because of it.

Also, the article states to ignore logic, it's simply a conversation starter, at the bottom, it actually says to comment on your potential picks.

Did that feel good? Glad I could help.

And no, it doesnt say that they would never fight. It mentions their friendship and hints that they may not fight, but still poses it as a possibility.

Riggs has stated he can no longer make 170 at all.

Spirit MC doesnt have the fan base that a major org does, so he wouldnt take a contract from someone other than the top few due to less money than hes used to. He may do a few one-shots but a long term contract is not likely.

And, if I read an article by a professional journalist, I find it difficult to ignore logic.

Thanks for trying to shoot down my post, but you missed.......

Post #7   9/21/07 9:51:59PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by LR

Did that feel good? Glad I could help.

And no, it doesnt say that they would never fight. It mentions their friendship and hints that they may not fight, but still poses it as a possibility.

Riggs has stated he can no longer make 170 at all.

Spirit MC doesnt have the fan base that a major org does, so he wouldnt take a contract from someone other than the top few due to less money than hes used to. He may do a few one-shots but a long term contract is not likely.

And, if I read an article by a professional journalist, I find it difficult to ignore logic.

Thanks for trying to shoot down my post, but you missed.......

It's mostly hypothetical.

Spirit MC actually has a very sizeable fan base, they have television deals with TBS in Japan, and they basically broadcast to the same fanbase as K-1 Heroes. Spirit MC also has a very good partnership with K-1 Heroes. Nobody said anything about a long term contract. A few shots is better than nothing, especially trying to enter the Japanese market.

I believe you are supposed to read the article with a hypothetical mind, not in the context you are reading it in. Obviously, you are a meticulous thinker who can't read anything on MMA without it being a serious thought. All of those suggestions are actually pretty fun reads, even if they may not ever happen, it's interesting conversation, at least I thought.

You disagree, that's fine by me, but I thought it spurred an argument over who would actually be brought in by EliteXC. I haven't heard many good suggestions, least that gets the mill running.

Post #8   9/22/07 12:41:57AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by zephead

im so excited!!

Can you hide it?

*picks up mic*

*breaks into amazing rendition of that timeless classic*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was hoping you got that

Post #9   9/22/07 11:23:04AM