Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rua Set To Rock UFC's World

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
To the average person Mauricio "Shogun" Rua is not the second coming of Michael Jordan, he is not worthy of being welcomed by paparazzi at the airport like David Beckham, nor is he the icon that fellow Brazilian Pele is to soccer, but to hardcore mixed martial arts fans, Rua is all those celebrities combined and more

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   9/21/07 11:29:34AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
WOW I thought Chute Boxe was like family there maybe some dissention in the ranks

Wanderlei is still my friend but I don't have the close relationship that we once had," Rua said. "I don't fight against him because he's been my friend for seven years."

But Rua added that if the money and the circumstances were right then he would meet with his mentor before he agreed to a bout against knockout-machine Silva.

"Fighting Silva is a possibility, but I don't want to think about that now, I just want to win and get a title shot," Rua said.

Post #2   9/21/07 11:34:36AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
shogun is a great fighter but i think forrest may be to much for his first fight in the ufc

Post #3   9/21/07 12:12:41PM   

aladdin

Learning to Sprawl

Career:91-51
Camp: Kimura4thewin
Chips:
There is ony one advantage that Forrest has in this fight. Octagon experience. Rua is better in every aspect of mma. Striking/jiu jitsu/wrestling. I am a firm believer that anything can happen. ie GSP vs Serra. I would probably give this more like 90-10 odds in favor of Rua. I mean Jardine has a better chance of winning his match and we all know that is not going to heppen.

Post #4   9/21/07 12:44:13PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
what you just said is laughable.
rediculouse. i'm concerned about shogun's time between fights and what kinda training partners he has nowadays.. hopefully he still is the same old shogun

oh and sorry.. my quote didnt get put in the message.. but forrest being too much? haha yeah right

Last edited 9/21/07 3:49PM server time by metal_mecca43
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/21/07 3:49:02PM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:
Did I read that right? Did he just say a Silva-Rua fight was. . . viable? Me happy!!

Post #6   9/21/07 4:34:19PM   

Aries2343

MMA Regular

Aries2343 Avatar

Career:621-418
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
Rua is set all he needs to do is work his BJJ and a bit more on stiking and a KO is coming his way

Post #7   9/21/07 4:40:22PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,475-856
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I want Shogun to win so bad.

I want to see all these TUF noobs jaws drop after Shogun drops Forrest like a bad habit.I want to see the dissapointment on their faces when their poster boy is ran over like a semi-truck dismantling a baby rabit on the highway on a hot summers day.

So that might be a bit much,but damnit I want Shogun to win this!

Post #8   9/21/07 5:06:56PM   

aladdin

Learning to Sprawl

Career:91-51
Camp: Kimura4thewin
Chips:
Only people new to mma .ie started watching it in the last 5 yrs or newer believe that forest has a chance in hell. My previous comments werent laughable they are just facts. Study Shoguns fights then study Forrests.

Post #9   9/21/07 5:42:14PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by aladdin

Only people new to mma .ie started watching it in the last 5 yrs or newer believe that forest has a chance in hell. My previous comments werent laughable they are just facts. Study Shoguns fights then study Forrests.

I have. And what I've found is that Shogun wins based on unbridled agression and superior ability in the clinch. What happens when he goes up agaist someone that can stave the agression and stay out of the clinch?

Post #10   9/21/07 7:49:42PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DevMahon

Did I read that right? Did he just say a Silva-Rua fight was. . . viable? Me happy!!

I wrote this about 8 days ago regarding Quinton Jackson:

Posted by Nubby

Because after those three fights he's going to lose his focus again. His next fight will probably be against Forrest Griffin He will win a unanymous decision. After that he will fight Chuck for a Third time and defeat chuck with a second round knock out. His third fight will be against Tito Ortiz. He will get another Unanymous decision akin to Couture's win over Ortiz. His fourth fight will be against Wanderlei Silva. Silva will knee the shit out of Jackson again knocking him out in the first round. Again shogun will be waiting on the side line as his friend and mentor holds another title. Shogun and Wanderlei will fight in the most anticipated fight ever. I don't know who wins that one.

Post #11   9/21/07 8:03:42PM   

ColdCutCombo

Banned

Career:39-26
Chips:
rua will be champ, after smokin forrest in a blunt

Post #12   9/21/07 8:50:19PM   

sakurabaforever

I'm banned and have no life

Career:34-16
Chips:

Posted by loonytnt

shogun is a great fighter but i think forrest may be to much for his first fight in the ufc

Man, if you didn't have that name, people might actually take you serious.

Griffin has a chance, sure, but Shogun is WAY TOO much for him! And what makes anyone think Griffin can stay out of the clinch? If anything the cage favors Shogun, octagon experience is a non-factor in this fight. Shogun is light years ahead in MMA experience.

Post #13   9/21/07 8:51:31PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by sakurabaforever

Posted by loonytnt

Man, if you didn't have that name, people might actually take you serious.

Griffin has a chance, sure, but Shogun is WAY TOO much for him! And what makes anyone think Griffin can stay out of the clinch? If anything the cage favors Shogun, octagon experience is a non-factor in this fight. Shogun is light years ahead in MMA experience.

I don't think MMA experience necessarily trumps UFC experience. Two different beasts.

Post #14   9/21/07 8:56:58PM   

sakurabaforever

I'm banned and have no life

Career:34-16
Chips:

Posted by nubby

I don't think MMA experience necessarily trumps UFC experience. Two different beasts.

Wrong. They are not 2 different beasts like kickboxing and wrestling.

UFC is a "part of" MMA. How big is up to interpretation, but when PRIDE was around the UFC was definitely not the majority. Cage Rage, Heros, EliteXC, etc are all "part of" MMA.

Therefore MMA experience always trumps UFC experience, because UFC experience is included in that, technically. Especially the big names Shogun has beaten, not just in the GP, but guys like Randleman, who was UFC HW champ.

In terms of rules and octagon/ring, sure there are differences, but in this matchup they are a non-factor, especially with Shogun having not only fought in, but trained in a cage.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, etc, you are right to a certain extent in terms of minor differences, but as a whole I don't think so.

Post #15   9/21/07 9:05:00PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2