Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Did Florian - Thomas prove anything!?

Print  
Did Kenny Florian vs Din Thomas prove anything?
Yes, Kenny is the better fighter. 19 37%
No, Din might have lost because of the injury. 27 52%
Other 6 12%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Now I'm not saying Kenny did anything wrong or that his win isn't legit. It's just that to me this proves as much as the Coleman - Shogun or the Nate Diaz - Manny G fight. Nothing. The only exception is that Din didn't give up right away but you could clearly see that he was finished by the time the injury had happened.

I do believe Kenny is the better fighter but I don't see it as proven yet. I'd like to see a rematch before I could definately claim him as better.

What do you guys think?

Post #1   9/21/07 5:59:52AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
honestly i think kenny ihe better fighter, and will continue to take down top notch competition, yet never hold a title in a dynamic division. hes awesome but when he fights the very best he will lose, everyone else he will beat, thats my view on kenflo, always a conteder never more than a pretender(in a title fight, no more, no less). he will beat EVERY guy in front of him on the way to a title shot and there is something to be said for that.

Post #2   9/21/07 7:12:54AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

honestly i think kenny ihe better fighter, and will continue to take down top notch competition, yet never hold a title in a dynamic division. hes awesome but when he fights the very best he will lose, everyone else he will beat, thats my view on kenflo, always a conteder never more than a pretender(in a title fight, no more, no less). he will beat EVERY guy in front of him on the way to a title shot and there is something to be said for that.

I don t aggree with you, i see Kenflo being the lightweight champ, the only reason he s not is cause of the L&P that Sean Sherk does and that he is way more stronger than him physically but if they meet again i see Kenflo winning, i thin the only person Kenflo doesn t match well against is Huerta which is a fight i would love to see.

Post #3   9/21/07 7:16:40AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
you really think sherk loses a possible rematch? hes the toughest guy to beat at 155 because of LnP(sadly) and hes so strong that i dont see kenflo beating him. but i wouldnt be completely suprised to see kenflo win a rematch i guess. i know what youre saying though, the guy is a proven commodity, and he'll tell you he finishes fights. hes a definate contender, i just count him out from winning the big one.........and im probably wrong like everyone else that has shortchnged kenflo........

Last edited 9/21/07 7:33AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   9/21/07 7:26:50AM   

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I wasn't much impressed by Kenflo in this fight. I actually thought that he was really just holding his own, not truely dominating like a guy who deserves a rematch with the reigning champ.

Post #5   9/21/07 7:57:00AM   

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:

Posted by jocka

Posted by cowcatcher

I don t aggree with you, i see Kenflo being the lightweight champ, the only reason he s not is cause of the L&P that Sean Sherk does and that he is way more stronger than him physically but if they meet again i see Kenflo winning, i thin the only person Kenflo doesn t match well against is Huerta which is a fight i would love to see.

sherk might have l'n'p'd against franca but he didnt against florian, he dominated him for the 5 rounds and gave a lesson in g'n'p

Post #6   9/21/07 8:26:03AM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by jocka

Posted by cowcatcher

No BJ Penn then?

Post #7   9/21/07 9:03:46AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,185-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I really don't think the fight proved anything. He got hurt, couldn't continue.

For all the hyping that Rogan did of Florian's newfound Muay Thai skills - I just don't think we got to see it.

Post #8   9/21/07 9:12:57AM   

fightfann

Learning to Sprawl

fightfann Avatar

Career:270-186
Camp: Los Banditos Guapos
Chips:
i think with or without that injury we would have seen a similar ending. Kenny was turning up the heat, particularly after Din mocked him by prancing back to the center of the octagon. Kenny was also mixing up the kicks and punches quite a bit, much more than Din, who despite not taking much damage was getting the worst of the stand up in my opinion. Florian's ground game is better than Din's also and even when Din was on top he stood up because he didn't want any of Florian's guard.

Similar outcome without the injury, it just screwed up my picks because i thought it would have taken into the second or third round.

Post #9   9/21/07 9:19:20AM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Karma sucks?

Post #10   9/21/07 10:33:21AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Both guys are great fighters and I was looking forward to this fight being a somewhat decisive way to determine the better fighter. So my answer is that this fight didn't prove much.

If I saw 2 and a half rounds of domination by Florian and an injury to Din in the third, then I would side on Kenny probably being better. However, I can't say anything based on the fact that Din got kicked in the groin and then hurt his knee in the first round.

Post #11   9/21/07 10:37:37AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Florian convinced me with his performance.Even before Din Thomas blew out his knee he seemed to be getting overwhelmed with Florians striking.
I believe Florian is one of the mosf improved fighters i've seen in a while.i was very impressed with him on UFN.

Post #12   9/21/07 10:44:28AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I agree with the TS... It was a sad way to end the night... While I do think Kenny has vastly improved his standup... It still seemed like Din had better hands, and had Florian back peddling when he threw the one or two flurries that he got out... Kenny's kicks look sick though... All in all I was unsatisfyied with the way it ended, but I would like to see Kenny against some more good comp soon

Post #13   9/21/07 11:02:25AM   

adamal

MMA Regular

adamal Avatar

Career:67-40
Chips:
I think it showed Kenny as a great fighter at 155. He didn't exactly roll over for Sherk in their title fight he went the distance. And he does have 3 wins in 5 months. That's impressive no matter what. I hope he can get back in the title picture I love watching the lightweight class and am so glad that it is getting bigger and better.

Post #14   9/21/07 12:23:07PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I think it proved for sure Kenny was the better fighter.

He didnt have a chance to do a whole lot of fighting, but the way he dictated where and how the fight was going to be conducted really shows me he is one of those "gameplan" guys, which is what you need at this level. He was striking from the outside and constantly moving, peppering him with kicks. Din wanted to box and got so frusterated he did a stupid little run away trying to mock KenFlo.

Plus after Din blew out his knee, Kenny didnt do a retarted taunt, he actually jumped on him and finished the fight...with the way the rest of the matches were i thought he would do a little dance number for us until Din got to his feet cause thats how the rest of the night went.

Oliviera taunted, Martin taunted, Din taunted....what the hell guys, way to much of that crap for me. I dont care if you do it after a knockout or a fight, but in the middle of a match your gonna pay and they all found out the hard way.

Post #15   9/21/07 12:28:48PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2