Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Silva vs Sonnen Thoughts?

Print  
  Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:647-349
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Post #46   7/8/12 8:50:47AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
It's absolutely amazing to me that even after seeing the two guys bury the hatchet, and Chael humble after the fight, that some people still refuse to accept his trash talk as shtick. That's all it was people, time to stop being butt hurt. He gave Anderson Silva a lot of praise after the fight, because at that point he was done SELLING the fight and making himself money.

The fight went about as expected. I was surprised how easily Chael was able to just bum rush and get him on his back for the whole round, but it was inevitable that Silva was going to unleash on the feet.

Last edited 7/8/12 10:05AM server time by gartface
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #47   7/8/12 10:04:57AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by gartface

It's absolutely amazing to me that even after seeing the two guys bury the hatchet, and Chael humble after the fight, that some people still refuse to accept his trash talk as shtick. That's all it was people, time to stop being butt hurt. He gave Anderson Silva a lot of praise after the fight, because at that point he was done SELLING the fight and making himself money.

This.

I was just arguing this the other day.

Post #48   7/8/12 10:12:49AM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by gartface

The fight went about as expected. I was surprised how easily Chael was able to just bum rush and get him on his back for the whole round, but it was inevitable that Silva was going to unleash on the feet.

Exactly. I think some fans only see the 45 second advertisements on t.v., Sonnen has praised Silva over and over the last two years, but everyone only focuses on the trash talk. They were both humble after the fight and obviously respect each other. They buried the hatchet. Fans should do the same.

Post #49   7/8/12 11:30:49AM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:944-621
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
i haven't liked andy since his first fight in the UFC. and me being a juggalo i would love to bury the hatchet "with" andy

Post #50   7/8/12 11:38:34AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,370-793
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I would like to see Sonnen vs Jones oddly he might bring something to that fight.

Post #51   7/8/12 11:49:50AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
that spinning backfist was probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a fight. Props to Silva to capitalizing, but that knee was very close to being a DQ shot. Sonnen had that round won if he stayed in close rather than throwing that brainfart, and who know what would have happened in rounds 3-5, but Sonnen beat himself

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #52   7/8/12 12:14:15PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Oh come on, Chael is still the Champ. The score is now 5 rounds to 2!

Post #53   7/8/12 2:56:53PM   

PhilBrito

Learning to Sprawl

Career:9-5
Chips:

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

i haven't liked andy since his first fight in the UFC. and me being a juggalo i would love to bury the hatchet "with" andy

No room for Juggalos in mma.. get lost

Post #54   7/8/12 3:10:55PM   

placente

MMA Regular

placente Avatar

Career:90-62
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
knee went to the body, look at the replay, end of argument. As far as what's next, i've always said the only guy to beat AS was Chael, and since he got beat so easily idk who else can challenge him in MW, i think he should retire.

Post #55   7/8/12 3:16:34PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Oh come on, Chael is still the Champ. The score is now 5 rounds to 2!

i like your thinking

Post #56   7/8/12 3:26:36PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

that spinning backfist was probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a fight. Props to Silva to capitalizing, but that knee was very close to being a DQ shot. Sonnen had that round won if he stayed in close rather than throwing that brainfart, and who know what would have happened in rounds 3-5, but Sonnen beat himself

totally agree with you, that back fist was dumb

Post #57   7/8/12 3:30:53PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by gartface

This.

That's the excuse that his supporters like to give.

But people close to him (like his Mom for instance) have said that it isn't just an act and that's the person he really is.

I wish I could believe that Chael is actually a nice person, but his actions both inside and outside of the cage suggest otherwise.

No one talks that much smack and says that many insulting and racist things without meaning it on some level. More importantly, he has been caught money laundering and taking PEDs. He also said a bunch of awful things about Lance Armstrong and then bold face lied about saying it (even after being played a clip of him saying it.) He's also a guy who has been known to give the "fake tap" in an attempt to get out of a submission without losing the fight.

You'll notice that I'm not fighter bashing here. I'm not calling him names and I'm not offering my personal opinion about him. I'm just stating the facts and in this case the facts speak LOUDLY and CLEARLY for themselves.

Post #58   7/8/12 4:30:40PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by gartface

This.

That's the excuse that his supporters like to give.

But people close to him (like his Mom for instance) have said that it isn't just an act and that's the person he really is.

I wish I could believe that Chael is actually a nice person, but his actions both inside and outside of the cage suggest otherwise.

No one talks that much smack and says that many insulting and racist things without meaning it on some level. More importantly, he has been caught money laundering and taking PEDs. He also said a bunch of awful things about Lance Armstrong and then bold face lied about saying it (even after being played a clip of him saying it.) He's also a guy who has been known to give the "fake tap" in an attempt to get out of a submission without losing the fight.

You'll notice that I'm not fighter bashing here. I'm not calling him names and I'm not offering my personal opinion about him. I'm just stating the facts and in this case the facts speak LOUDLY and CLEARLY for themselves.

His mom said that stuff, when? During the primetime special? You don't think he could have prepped her to play along?

And racist? What racist things? About Brazil being behind technologically and intellectually? Not racist in the least, prejudice maybe, no racist. Unless you're thinking of another instance that I'm not aware of, then please enlighten me.

I'm not going to touch the PED issue otherwise I'd be .

I'll give you the Lance Armstrong stuff. That was awful, but all of this leading up to the Anderson fight, just like the first, was shtick. He shook Anderson's hand afterward, Anderson shook his, and they embraced in a way. Gave respect both ways.

Let me make a blanket statement too - "This is a defense that Anderson Silva's supports like to use because they take things way too seriously."

See how that works? Take a and watch some of his interviews where he isn't in character, such as his post fight last night, after a defeat mind you.

Post #59   7/8/12 6:34:46PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

the knee was illegal ! caught him on the chin, sonnen was robbed !

You should tell that to Sonnen, because in the post-fight interview he clearly states that "he got me with a knee to the body".

Post #60   7/8/12 6:43:00PM   

Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6