Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"Anderson Sucks/ Is OverRated" Blah Blah Blah...

Print  
  Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:2,076-1,211
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Dragoslav

Posted by ncordless

I said recently that in the Cote fight Anderson was starting to fight "cute" and caught a little flack for it.
I definitely do not retract my statement. Anderson Silva is a great fighter, but until he gets past this "shucking and jiving" "cuteness" garbage he is doing right now it's hard to think of him as the 1 p4p.

Punching the leg and hammerfisting the ankle are not the kind of offense the best employ. Would GSP or Fedor ever do crap like that?

I love Genki Sudo, but he was never a top fighter because he was too gimmicky and cute. Anderson has looked alot like Genki recently.

Anderson is really reminding me of Roy Jones Jr. in his prime right now... maybe they should box.

I recognize that neither Cote or Thales offered much offense, but that is going to be the way people fight Anderson. Limit the exchanges as much as possible, play defense, and try to take the fight to the ground. If Anderson is going to literally dance around waiting for his opponent to engage him on the feet he should think about "Dancing with the Stars" where his talents will be appreciated.

You might want to go watch some Pride footage. Anderson has been this way for a long time. I remember when he came out to a Pride fight dancing like Michael Jackson.

True, but his performances over the last few years (the time he rose to the top) didn't include the antics.

Post #46   4/20/09 1:26:44PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I guess I am one of the few who don't have much problem with Silva. Here is why.

First of, it is his health. I am not a fighter, too dam old to get punched in the face anymore, but why risk it when one doesn't have too? I think he is looking out for his health, safety, and longevity. Look at Chuck, Wandy, and Sak. They are shells of their former selves. I believe Nog is there as well. Why take unnecessary shots to the head?

Silva is comfortable where he is at. In his style and in his payroll. He could make more by being more spectacular, but at what price. He could make up the difference in longevity or in health. One or two viscous KO's could leave his career, and legacy, in the dust. Save those wars for opponents who want it and can bring it. Imagine if a couple lucky KO's caused a problem for Silva. They affect everyone different. They could make him more prone to another. One never knows. And for what? To make a "better" fight against someone not willing to do what it takes to win and not merely survive?

Being the champ or even a top competitor pays well. So well that they don't need to fight lights out every time. I've been noticing this more and more. Just get the W baby. I believe this is what happened to AA while in the UFC.

The UFC won't play ball with Silva's wants and desires. Why play their game to the max?

I guess I am not totally happy with Silva, but I am not upset. I think I can see why he is doing this. Sure, it will hurt his Legacy some and his earning potential, but I don't think he needs either. I suppose it also goes against the warrior code or something, but I can't blame the man for not wanting to unnecessarily risk his health. He is just that much better than the last two opponents. Boredom.

A move up in weight would change some of these factors. I believe Anderson will fight if he has to. If he still doesn't go for the kill, even when he is losing, then he is simply milking the system and that I would have a problem with.

At 185, I only see Hendo and possibly Gegard pushing Silva some. Hendo is getting up there, so every passing day it is getting more and more unlikely we will see the best Hendo has to offer in one particular fight.

At 205 one has Evans, Rampage, Forrest, Machida, and possibly Shogun now.

Post #47   4/20/09 2:01:42PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by scobac

are these the expectations we as ufc fans have for our champs? ok he was bored, the best way to end that bordem is to have a "take no prisoners" attitude and end his opponents night early. not act like he's better and piss around for 25 minutes. I dont care who he's fighting, his attitude should be that as it was when he won the title and had some good defenses, that being put it all on the line and go gunnin for some teeth. p4p best my ass, not after these last two fights. I think dana needs to pull the air hose out of andersons ass and let his head deflate a little bit, he's still gettin paid to FIGHT not play it safe.

We dont have unrealistic expectations for our champs. Not every fighter is going to look amazing every single time they fight. And people need to stop putting all the blame on Silva. He was trying to engage thales but leites wouldnt bite and was also "playing it safe". Silva didn't feel like getting submitted by a beast in jj, can you blame him? Both fighters are to blame for the outcome of the fight.

You could make that argument but he's done it two fights in a row.

Post #48   4/20/09 8:06:52PM   

Franklinfan47

Bow Down

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:3,077-1,712
Chips:

Posted by soundboy1

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by scobac

are these the expectations we as ufc fans have for our champs? ok he was bored, the best way to end that bordem is to have a "take no prisoners" attitude and end his opponents night early. not act like he's better and piss around for 25 minutes. I dont care who he's fighting, his attitude should be that as it was when he won the title and had some good defenses, that being put it all on the line and go gunnin for some teeth. p4p best my ass, not after these last two fights. I think dana needs to pull the air hose out of andersons ass and let his head deflate a little bit, he's still gettin paid to FIGHT not play it safe.

We dont have unrealistic expectations for our champs. Not every fighter is going to look amazing every single time they fight. And people need to stop putting all the blame on Silva. He was trying to engage thales but leites wouldnt bite and was also "playing it safe". Silva didn't feel like getting submitted by a beast in jj, can you blame him? Both fighters are to blame for the outcome of the fight.

You could make that argument but he's done it two fights in a row.

I actually didnt think his fight with cote was that bad. They had some decent exchanges, and I think Cote was going down in round 3 if his knee hadnt blown.

Post #49   4/21/09 10:17:15AM   

FedortoAll

Learning to Sprawl

Career:879-453
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
I kind of find it funny that Anderson Silva has turned into a Tim Sylvia-like champion in his last two outings. Everyone **** on Tim Sylvia for cruising to victory instead of showing the intense desire to finish a fight. Granted, Silva did show more aggression in the Cote fight. I've never believed him to be the "best pound for pound"---a term I despise anyway---and performances like this one don't win me over.

Post #50   4/21/09 5:31:46PM   

Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4