Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones--Smart Business Man or Coward?

Print  
????
Smart decision 10 21%
Cowardly decision 37 79%
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
FX would just be switching the fights around that they broadcast. It would be like an UFC on FX card only still called 151 and not 'real' main event. But at least all the guys would still get to fight and it would all be free.

Post #31   8/23/12 4:47:23PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,512-1,449
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

FX would just be switching the fights around that they broadcast. It would be like an UFC on FX card only still called 151 and not 'real' main event. But at least all the guys would still get to fight and it would all be free.

No, they'd be airing the fights later than originally scheduled.

Post #32   8/23/12 4:55:04PM   

traveller77

MMA Regular

traveller77 Avatar

Career:940-468
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
It looks like there is a few ways this cancellation could have been avoided but I've gotta say I'm getting a little less pissed at Jones and more pissed at White. A guy loses a title shot by TKO and his next fight is another title shot in another division... BS. There is no way Sonnen should get that shot.

Under the assumption that White didnt offer to make it a non title fight he should have, I cant imagine Jones turning down the fight if the title wasnt on the line, and I'm sure Dana would have mentioned it during his rants against Jones in the last couple hours if it was offered.

If a card has only one interesting fight on it, a disaster is a real possibility so White and the UFC should learn a lesson from this and make the cards more stacked. They should have a contingency plan for losing the main event, have they not learned their lesson from the recent past.

Post #33   8/23/12 5:01:37PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

No, they'd be airing the fights later than originally scheduled.

Or starting facebook really early.

Post #34   8/23/12 5:10:59PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
Coward against Chael? HA! Jones has ran through everyone in the LHW division.. he is not afraid of Chael what so ever. I don't like Jones and would have loved to see the fight, but Jones gains nothing from this fight.

Post #35   8/23/12 7:31:27PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-793
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by TeamDEY

Coward against Chael? HA! Jones has ran through everyone in the LHW division.. he is not afraid of Chael what so ever. I don't like Jones and would have loved to see the fight, but Jones gains nothing from this fight.

Except maybe the respect of all the other fighters and fans who were gonna fight/watch the event

Post #36   8/23/12 8:12:59PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Am I the only one that thinks Preparing for Chael on 8 days notice is better then Machida on 30 days notice? I'm sure they know Machida pretty well but that muscle memory isn't getting built in 30 days.

Post #37   8/23/12 9:51:20PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by traveler77

It looks like there is a few ways this cancellation could have been avoided but I've gotta say I'm getting a little less pissed at Jones and more pissed at White. A guy loses a title shot by TKO and his next fight is another title shot in another division... BS. There is no way Sonnen should get that shot.

Under the assumption that White didnt offer to make it a non title fight he should have, I cant imagine Jones turning down the fight if the title wasnt on the line, and I'm sure Dana would have mentioned it during his rants against Jones in the last couple hours if it was offered.

If a card has only one interesting fight on it, a disaster is a real possibility so White and the UFC should learn a lesson from this and make the cards more stacked. They should have a contingency plan for losing the main event, have they not learned their lesson from the recent past.

They have had a hell of an injury bug going around. Weidman offered to fight him.

Post #38   8/23/12 9:55:42PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,177
Chips:

Posted by TeamDEY

except fans and respect.....2 things he desperately wants

Post #39   8/23/12 10:00:01PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
All I have to say is this kind of stuff happens all the time for lower level pros, sometimes you even get a new opponent on the day of the fight. If you are the best in the world(in your weight division) it shouldn't matter who you are fighting. Especially, if you are ready to fight and have 8 days to game plan.

Post #40   8/24/12 12:07:14AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Coward.

I've read everything i can find tonight on the subject and haven't seen any argument to make me think otherwise.

Post #41   8/24/12 12:46:50AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by postman

Am I the only one that thinks Preparing for Chael on 8 days notice is better then Machida on 30 days notice? I'm sure they know Machida pretty well but that muscle memory isn't getting built in 30 days.

100% agrre.

Decision makes no sense.

Post #42   8/24/12 12:50:32AM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:730-356
Chips:
My feeling is that it's a 'coward' move..

If you're looking at smart business decisions, you have to look at the big picture.

Jones said: "I take a lot of pride in the way I perform, and I want to put on the best performance possible every time I fight," Jones said during a conversation with MMAJunkie.com. "I don't want to go out there just to win the fight. I want to go out there to dominate. I want to make it look effortless. I want it to be a beautiful thing."

While it may not be an *ideal* situation to make it a 'beautiful thing', he's not getting points for artistic interpretation here. Fighting isn't figure skating.

A smart business decision is honouring the organization and the fans that brought him to where he is today. It's sacrificing what you ideally want, and taking one for the team (the sponsors, the UFC, Dana, the other fighters on that card). That's what I have an issue with. Everyone gets that it's tough to take another opponent in 8 days, but given the circumstances, you roll with the cards you're dealt to save the day for the greater good of the sport and the organization.

It would have been an opportunity to show everyone that he's a team player - so to me, refusing this opportunity is what constitutes the bad 'business decision.'

Post #43   8/24/12 11:07:03AM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,494-924
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
all the arguments i've read that defend jon jones (and they are the minority) and his decisison to bow out of his title defense are ridiculous. he bitched out....period. he screwed over fighters, fans, and the orginization that signs his checks. he has forever earned my "boo." i'd throw a party if he got cut.

Post #44   8/25/12 2:16:34AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Jones is a coward.

From my view, Sonnen is an easier fight than Hendo anyway. I can't believe he ducked that fight, he was training for a guy in Hendo that is just like Sonnen, take the fuckin fight Jones. If anything help out the undercard guys that relied on next Saturday for their paycheck to feed their families. For this act of selfish immature egotistical maniacal nonsense he will likely not be forgiven for his lack of respect for the other fighters, the promotion and most of all, the fans.

Post #45   8/25/12 2:20:31PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3