Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Official 2012 NFL Season Thread

Print  
  Page 3 of 39     1     2     3     4     5     6   >>
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Does anyone know if teams get any compensation if their draft picks don't sign, like specifically their first round draft picks?

I was watching Hard Knocks and it was saying Tannehill was prepared to re-enter the draft before he signed.

I know in baseball teams get a compensation draft pick if their 1st rounder doesn't sign, but not sure about football. Does the drafting team hold any rights to the guy they drafted?

It just seems crappy if the team can't sign him and that person re-enters the draft and the drafting team gets nothing from their 1st round that year.

Post #31   8/13/12 1:23:52PM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:807-565
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by ChrisSabal

I'm still in baseball mode, but I'll go ahead and predict division and wildcard winners.

AFC
North: Ravens
East: Patriots
South: Texans
West: Chiefs
Wildcards: Steelers, Titans

Sleepers: Bills, Jets

NFC
North: Packers
East: Cowboys
South: Falcons
West: 49ers
Wildcards: Lions, Eagles

Sleepers: Panthers, Bears

Bears aren't much of a sleeper this year with Brandon Marshall, Forte and Cutler and still a great defense. They should either win the division or take a wild card spot.

But only 8-8 last year. Culter sometimes questionable and tough division.

They were also one of the best teams in the league last year until Cutler got hurt and thats why they finished 8-8.

Post #32   8/13/12 3:25:12PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Does anyone know if teams get any compensation if their draft picks don't sign, like specifically their first round draft picks?

I was watching Hard Knocks and it was saying Tannehill was prepared to re-enter the draft before he signed.

I know in baseball teams get a compensation draft pick if their 1st rounder doesn't sign, but not sure about football. Does the drafting team hold any rights to the guy they drafted?

It just seems crappy if the team can't sign him and that person re-enters the draft and the drafting team gets nothing from their 1st round that year.

very good Q. i looked up articles on Tannehill's situation before signing & Crabtree w/ the 49ers when he was threatening to re-enter the draft & none spoke of any compensation for the teams. Doesnt mean they dont. I just couldnt find one. BSB might know

Post #33   8/13/12 4:09:24PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

very good Q. i looked up articles on Tannehill's situation before signing & Crabtree w/ the 49ers when he was threatening to re-enter the draft & none spoke of any compensation for the teams. Doesnt mean they dont. I just couldnt find one. BSB might know

All I could find was on Bo Jackson, drafted by Bucs didn't sign and played baseball and re-entered draft and drafted by raiders.

But nothing about compensation.

Post #34   8/13/12 4:40:38PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As far as i know the team does not get compensation for a player drafted that doesn't sign. You have until near the end of the year to sign them though so if it's a huge issue you have months to work out a sign and trade if that's the issue or at least months to convince the player they'll only get drafted lower after sitting out football for a year. If they havent' signed by the deadline near the end of the year they can re-enter the next year's draft. Once you declare your eligibility you cannot go back to college unless you go undrafted (as far as I know), so Tannehill if he hadn't signed would've had to hold out the entire year from any football (since the drafting team owns his rights) and re-enter the next year's draft. The players union and owners are on the same side though as far as players holding out an entire year and sitting on the couch to re-enter next years draft.

Last edited 8/13/12 8:20PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #35   8/13/12 8:19:30PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

All I could find was on Bo Jackson, drafted by Bucs didn't sign and played baseball and re-entered draft and drafted by raiders.

But nothing about compensation.

No, you get dick. The most famous situation of this is Manning-Rivers. Manning was actually drafted by San Diego, but refused to play for them. The Chargers, knowing they would get dick because they fully believed Manning would sit out as promised and re-enter, found a club that really wanted Peyton's little brother and convinced them to draft Plan B (Phillip Rivers) and then did a trade.

You get nothing. Sometimes teams will get compensatory picks, but only from the team to whom they traded the disgruntled draftee. And those picks are usually their way of making sure they didn't end up with nothing.

The NFL, as an organization, does not give shit. They figure you ought to know who you're drafting and that due diligence should prevent this from ever happening. The only time it really does is when a player doesn't reveal his preferences until after he's been drafted by someone he hates. Rarely happens, but when it does, they almost always find a way to just do a draft-and-trade.

Post #36   8/13/12 9:21:45PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Also, fuck Tannehill. That dude isn't even worth the headache of dealing with him. He's only recently become a full-time QB and the dude didn't do anything at Texas A&M to indicate that he's worth this trouble.

People are acting like his 3,744 passing yards were some sort of accomplishment in the Big XII. My grandmother could start for Texas Tech and throw for 3,800 yards.

Post #37   8/14/12 12:39:05AM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Also, fuck Tannehill. That dude isn't even worth the headache of dealing with him. He's only recently become a full-time QB and the dude didn't do anything at Texas A&M to indicate that he's worth this trouble.

People are acting like his 3,744 passing yards were some sort of accomplishment in the Big XII. My grandmother could start for Texas Tech and throw for 3,800 yards.

well Tannehill signed so I guess he was worth the headache. I am just upset we(Dolphins) drafted Tannehill because Barkley is coming up in this draft and I think the Dolphins are bad enough where they could end up getting him.

Post #38   8/14/12 12:44:23AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

well Tannehill signed so I guess he was worth the headache. I am just upset we(Dolphins) drafted Tannehill because Barkley is coming up in this draft and I think the Dolphins are bad enough where they could end up getting him.

I'm not sure Miami would finish with a record that was crappy enough to get Barkley even without Tannehill. They play the NFC West (the crappiest division in all of fooball) & the AFC South (the 2nd crappiest division in all of football). Add in the fact that they have games with the Raiders & Bengals, and they were never going to be in the mix for Barkley. Trust me when I say that the Bengals will not repeat last year's success.

The Dolphins might be shitty, but they were never in the Blow It for Barkley sweepstakes.

Post #39   8/14/12 1:09:50AM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I'm not sure Miami would finish with a record that was crappy enough to get Barkley even without Tannehill. They play the NFC West (the crappiest division in all of fooball) & the AFC South (the 2nd crappiest division in all of football). Add in the fact that they have games with the Raiders & Bengals, and they were never going to be in the mix for Barkley. Trust me when I say that the Bengals will not repeat last year's success.

The Dolphins might be shitty, but they were never in the Blow It for Barkley sweepstakes.

I don't know about that. We have no QB. No WRs. No HB. Our defense is still solid but not as good as it once was. We are a mess of a team and it certainly won't surprise me if we end up being one of the worst teams in the league.

Post #40   8/14/12 2:00:41AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ChrisSabal

I don't know about that. We have no QB. No WRs. No HB. Our defense is still solid but not as good as it once was. We are a mess of a team and it certainly won't surprise me if we end up being one of the worst teams in the league.

Reggie Bush might disagree with you about not having a RB. Look, at the end of the day you need around 2-3 wins to even have a shot at the #1 overall pick. Barkley will be the #1 pick. There's not a QB in this draft that has his tools, his experience, his proven ability to win, and a solid head on their shoulders. That alone is enough to convince a team to take him #1 despite anything else that may happen.

Even if USC has a 10 win season, which would be crappy by our standards, Barkley will still emerge as a Heisman candidate with enormous potential. This doesn't even begin to describe the stock Barkley will have if USC meets their expectations.

I can find at least 4 wins on the Dolphins schedule. Arizona is a complete shitstorm. John Skelton actually is looking like he's going to run that team moving forward and that, like Cassel, Kolb was a bad investment. On a side note, I think that Kolb and Cassel's horrid outputs after the contracts given is going to change how backups with only one solid year are viewed, but I digress.

Arizona & Cincinnati are potential wins. The Rams are anybody's guess. Indianapolis is likely headed for rough sledding. Tennessee, Seattle, and Jacksonville are all potential wins, and I cannot fathom the Dolphins going winless in a division with as many question marks as the AFC East.

There are 7 very winnable games for the Dolphins outside of the AFC East. The NFL is probably as wide open as it ever has been.; I can't think of a single team that is a clear cut favorite out of the gate. I honestly think that the Dolphins won't come anywhere near 7 wins, but I think they would win too many to have any reasonable shot at Barkley.

Post #41   8/14/12 2:56:45AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
You have to go back to 2003 before you can find a season where there wasn't at least ONE team with 2 or fewer wins. I cannot picture a scenario where the Dolphins only win 2 games this season. They play WAY too many team in shitty conferences. 8 of their games are against the two worst conferences in the NFL. That doesn't even count games against the Raiders, Bengals, and Bills.

If Miami had a much harder schedule than the one they have, I could see it. Unfortunately, the Dolphins' schedule is against teams that went a combined 127-129 last year. For that matter, the AFC East is a horribly weak division if you account for the fact that the Patriots have the NFL's easiest schedule, the Bills have the 3rd easiest and Miami and New York are tied for 18th and 20th most difficult schedules, respectively.

To Miami's credit, they have the hardest schedule in the AFC East, but it's really not a difficult schedule. 3 of Miami's easier opponents play absolutely grueling schedules and that could benefit the Dolphins, who will play a much easier schedule.

Post #42   8/14/12 3:09:27AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Reggie Bush might disagree with you about not having a RB.

Only a USC fan would believe him though...

Post #43   8/14/12 3:13:48AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Reggie Bush might disagree with you about not having a RB.

Only a USC fan would believe him though...

Reggie Bush, Lloyd Lake, and Todd McNair can suck a gigantic member.

Post #44   8/14/12 3:20:30AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
All I can say is Chandler Jones looked purdy good against the Saints.

Post #45   8/14/12 7:47:38AM   

Page 3 of 39     1     2     3     4     5     6   >>