Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

FIGHT OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I had it 47-47 with it 39-37 after the 4th round. Definetly a 10-8 for Shogun in the 5th. Hendo did more damage in his dominate position in the 3rd then Shogun did in his in the 5th, with Shogun having dominate position longer in the 5th then Dan did in the 3rd. Tricky fight to score. I could definetly see it being a split as well, going either way. Definetly a FOTY candidate

Post #31   11/20/11 2:31:59AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
during the first two rounds I thought this was a great fight.

At the end of the third round I wrote in the spoilers thread "FOTN"

At the end of the fourth round I wrote in the spoilers thread "Fight of the Year"

At the end of the fight I declared it possibly the best fight in the history of the sport.

I scored it 47-47 like most people, and I think it would've been fitting, because there were no losers in that fight.

Post #32   11/20/11 3:02:55AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
47-47

Hendo by must-win decision
Shogun by death match

Post #33   11/20/11 4:49:53AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think Dan won rounds 1-3.
Shogun 4-5.
So I think it was a good decision. Had this very same fight had happened in Pride though,under pride judging Shogun would have won.

Post #34   11/20/11 7:14:38AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by npayant

I had it 47-47 draw...but if I had to pick a winner, I'd lean towards Dan. IMO, he won the first 3 years pretty straight forward, with doing major damage in the 3rd. Obviously, Shogun won the 4th and 5th. The only question to me is was the last round really a 10-8 or not? Like maybe others have said, yeah he was in the mount...but I really didn't see much in terms of damage at all. They were both too tired, which is one reason I think all 3 judges didn't give Shogun the 10-8. Even though I BARELY scored it a 10-8 just because of the dominant position, I can see it being just a 10-9.

How did Hendo win round 2 "pretty straight forward"??

You're literally the only guy I've seen score round 2 for Shogun man.

Post #35   11/20/11 9:07:17AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by warglory

Posted by tmas

I had shogun winning at least two rounds, one being 10-8 or even 10-7. I thought imo he won the 1st, 4th, and 5th rounds with the 3rd going to Hendo and the 2nd being close. I had Shogun winning.

I think Hendo got the "home state" advantage here in a close fight.

10-7? How? Shogun was dominant, but he barely had the ability to throw down he was so tired.

There's no way Shogun won the first round, sorry. Hendo winning was the correct decision. If you want to throw out dominant rounds, let's go with round 3. That was more 10-8 than Shogun's last round.

How... by ANY stretch of the imagination....was Round 3 more dominant than Round 5? Hendo literally spent 5 minutes straight on his back (mostly mounted) getting punched in the face. Hendo did NOTHING in Round 5. In Round 3 Shogun had some offense on the feet and a close submission attempt.

I agree that the first Round went to Hendo though. But I gave the 2nd Round to Shogun so I have the same score as tmas.

Hendo defended and scrambled, and on the same token, Shogun was too tired to mount any significant offense with minor pitter patter, primarily spending most of his time maintaining his base. It wasn't lay n pray, but it was about the equivalent amount of damage.

I honestly don't think round 3 was a 10-8, but I also don't think round 5 was either, I was just using that as an example. Round 3, Shogun got royally messed up, way more than Hendo in the fifth, even if he did mount a respectable offense toward the end of the round.

I think Hendo won round 2 as well, losing the fourth and th fifth.

Last edited 11/20/11 12:31PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #36   11/20/11 12:25:41PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by tmas

Posted by warglory

Posted by tmas

I had shogun winning at least two rounds, one being 10-8 or even 10-7. I thought imo he won the 1st, 4th, and 5th rounds with the 3rd going to Hendo and the 2nd being close. I had Shogun winning.

I think Hendo got the "home state" advantage here in a close fight.

10-7? How? Shogun was dominant, but he barely had the ability to throw down he was so tired.

There's no way Shogun won the first round, sorry. Hendo winning was the correct decision. If you want to throw out dominant rounds, let's go with round 3. That was more 10-8 than Shogun's last round.

uhm no.... Hendo had zero offense and really no defense even in round 5. rnd 3 was no doubt Hendos, but Shogun did have offense he took like 2 min of the round even so no sorry but in no way was Hendo's dom round anywhere near shoguns.

Really? Shogun's face looked like minced pie at the end of the third round. The man's mouth was so mangled that he could barely speak after the fight. Hendo was tired in the fifth, he would have been able to scramble out otherwise. Shogun was equally as tired, but had just enough left in his gas tank to land some minor punches and maintain his base, but it was far from being "dominant." My point was merely to demonstrate that Hendo was active enough in the 5th with his defense to make it arguably a 10-9 round.

Post #37   11/20/11 12:30:41PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think I'd vote for Alvarez/Chandler for FOTY.

Post #38   11/20/11 12:50:59PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

I know I'm going to get shit for this but I dont think the Shogun/Hendo fight was even the best fight that happened tonight and I'm a huge Shogun and Hendo fan. The FOTY for me right now is the Eddie Alvarez vs. Michael Chandler fight. It was EPIC!! Eddie Alvarez is still one of the best lightweight fighters on the planet but Michael Chandler WILL be the number one lightweight in the world one day. All around a great night for MMA.

Post #39   11/20/11 12:51:40PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by npayant

I had it 47-47 draw...but if I had to pick a winner, I'd lean towards Dan. IMO, he won the first 3 years pretty straight forward, with doing major damage in the 3rd. Obviously, Shogun won the 4th and 5th. The only question to me is was the last round really a 10-8 or not? Like maybe others have said, yeah he was in the mount...but I really didn't see much in terms of damage at all. They were both too tired, which is one reason I think all 3 judges didn't give Shogun the 10-8. Even though I BARELY scored it a 10-8 just because of the dominant position, I can see it being just a 10-9.

And you didn't answer my question.

Why did Hendo win the round if you scored it for him?

I'm literally asking. I'm gonna re-watch this fight for sure and try to see if my scoring holds up.

But I was watching the fight with three other hard-core MMA fans. Three of us gave round 2 to Shogun. The fourth guy gave Hendo round 2 but gave Shogun round 1, which equals the same score I had.

Again, I can see a draw for sure. I don't think that would have been a bad call even though I scored it for Shogun. But I don't think Hendo winning is the right call...at all.

Post #40   11/20/11 5:19:06PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dan won the first 3 rounds, you could even make the argument he won round 4 as well. Shogun had the 5th obviously and the judges got the correct winner.

Post #41   11/20/11 6:41:15PM   

npayant

I've gained some weight...

npayant Avatar

Career:1,859-934
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by npayant

And you didn't answer my question.

Why did Hendo win the round if you scored it for him?

Not sure if you were still talking to me there or not... but maybe you missed my second post:

I just believe he did more damage in the round... landed 3 pretty big shots including a huge uppercut that rocked Shogun's head back. Not to mention he had him against the cage for a good minute, as well. But it's mostly the power shots that Dan got in that round. I can't find one MMA site that does play by play that disagrees with me on round 2 either...

I did say "pretty" straight foward (round 2 was the reason for the "pretty")

Post #42   11/22/11 11:38:52PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
if you read the unified rules round 5 should have definitely been a 10-8. round 3 was much closer that round 5 and imo Dan Henderson won rounds 1-3 and Shogun won rounds 4 & 5 with 10-8 on the 5th making it a draw.

if you told me i had to pcik someone i would have picked Dan Henderson, but based on the current judging system i felt it should have been a draw.

i really don't agree with Shogun winning the second. he was hurt, granted he recovered, but Dan did more damage and won the round. i understand everyone has their own opinions, but i watched the fight 4 times at this point and i have to score it a draw.

Post #43   11/23/11 2:06:35PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

if you read the unified rules round 5 should have definitely been a 10-8. round 3 was much closer that round 5 and imo Dan Henderson won rounds 1-3 and Shogun won rounds 4 & 5 with 10-8 on the 5th making it a draw.

if you told me i had to pcik someone i would have picked Dan Henderson, but based on the current judging system i felt it should have been a draw.

i really don't agree with Shogun winning the second. he was hurt, granted he recovered, but Dan did more damage and won the round. i understand everyone has their own opinions, but i watched the fight 4 times at this point and i have to score it a draw.

____
I will say though... when re-watching the fight, the first three rounds were closer than i had originally thought.

Post #44   11/23/11 7:47:00PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3