Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White is pissed at the Spider

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,047-1,306
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
A lot of great points have been made on this thread and i'm going to attempt to sum them up in a few brief points.

1. Anderson conducted a "spectacle" not a fight. I had flashbacks to what people must of thought when watching Antonio Inoki taking on Muhammed Ali. Only this is 2010. Such sideshow attractions have a certain amount of charm and entertaiment quality to them,but the UFC has branded itself in the modern day as a promotion far past that. The guy who is considerably the number one P4P should not reduce himself,nor be reduced to this.

2. A lot of people saw this type of result coming a mile away. that's the simple truth and I believe the bottom line is Anderson Silva may possibly be way past the talent pool in the MW division. The UFC needs to keep him permenently at LHW or possibly even HW.

3. In regards to the comparisons made between Brock Lesnar and Anderson Silva. Regardless on whether or not you believe what either guy has done is morally right, Lesnar has been able to generate interest while being contraversial. Andersons skill level is about as high as you can possibly get on the ladder but his antics aren't winning him over any fans and aren't producing any lucrative opprotunites to build him up as a UFC superstar and 112 was a crucial event in the ever growing expansion of the UFC.

I can't blame Dana White but what are you to do? The guys skill level is far superior to anything they have offered him in that weight division. Despite the course of action taken it's going to be a gamble.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #31   4/11/10 8:53:39PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-506
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I know I personally caused a few friends to not buy the replay, including a restaraunt. I watched it live and told them not to waste their money and none bought it. Once they saw the online vids they thanked me. I wonder how many others turned their friends off buying a replay.

I did. I actively discouraged everyone I know from paying for the PPV after seeing it live. No one I know personally paid for it, I made sure of that. I also tried to spread the word on as many forum boards as possible. I probably saved at least a couple dozen people $50.

I think the fact that this happened on a time-delayed card could actually show up in the numbers. If there are enough hard-core MMA fans who watched it live and went out telling people how terrible it was before the showing during the normal timeslot. It'll be interesting to see if the fights had any kind of visible impact on the PPV numbers at night.

Last edited 4/11/10 9:27PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #32   4/11/10 9:23:43PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

2. A lot of people saw this type of result coming a mile away. that's the simple truth and I believe the bottom line is Anderson Silva may possibly be way past the talent pool in the MW division. The UFC needs to keep him permenently at LHW or possibly even HW.

After Belfort, I dont ever want to see A silva at 185 again (unless its against GSP)

Post #33   4/11/10 9:29:31PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
the forrest fight wasnt exactly exciting either. if Forrest hadnt gave up when he did that fight would have gone much the same as Leites and Maia. Forrest saved himself from alot more humiliation and i dont blame him.

if i were Mirgliotta i'd have took a point in the third instead of leaning up against the cage stretching and laughing.

if i were Maia i'd have laid down in the center of the octagon and took a nap.

Silva is trying to make a joke of the sport. he seems to think he's the next roy jones jr or ali but what hes missing is those guys could dance around and still knock guys out. they werent disrespecting their sport.

Post #34   4/11/10 9:32:03PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
Forrest didn't give up, he got KTFO. That's exactly everyone's point though. Maia should've been KTFO even faster than Forrest. Anderson had plenty of opportunities to do it without putting himself at any risk and instead he danced around and acted like a clown for 25 minutes. I thought the Forrest fight was amazing. The gif of him dancing around Forrest's punches and then flooring him with one strike is amazing, as well as the backpedaling jab with his hands at his waist he finished the fight with.

He could easily have finished Maia just like he has many others, and a little bit of showboating (while I don't really like it myself) is not that big of a deal, but he took it to a different level in this one. He didn't just showboat a bit to give the crowds something to talk about before ending it, he totally demeaned and disrespected his opponent, the fans, his bosses, and the sport in general for nearly a half an hour.

They said his father was in the crowd at the start. I wonder if Anderson asked himself "if I were in my father's position in 30 year's time would I be proud to see my son, a world-class professional sportsman, swearing at and demeaning his opponent on an international stage?" what kind of answer he would come up with.

Post #35   4/11/10 9:56:12PM   

Mhunt1140

Learning to Sprawl

Mhunt1140 Avatar

Career:954-589
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
As most everyone would agree, that fight was one of, if not the worst title fight of all time. I think the fight was so terrible for a few reasons. First of all, and I mean no disrespect to Maia because the man is a warrior and he earned my respect in that fight, but he is far below the talent level of Silva as is most of the division, I do think Anderson feels slightly disrespected as a fighter to fight someone who is so clearly not on his level. Anderson is not a violent guy and he knows that he can do whatever he wants so he does just enough to win and that is all. I guarantee that if that fight was against Belfort or even Sonnen it would have been completely different much like it was against Henderson. These guys would force Anderson to attempt to finish the fight and we would be able to see the true Anderson Silva.

In regards to moving down, I really truly believe that GSP will in fact beat Anderson Silva especially if he fights like he has been fight recently. No one in the world can stop a GSP takedown.

Post #36   4/11/10 10:42:54PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Last thing I have to say on this subject...Everyone here knows how I feel about GSP's recent UD fest, well I would rather watch that then Andy dancing about. That was garbage, he put on a rediculous performance. I would love to hear what Nog has to say about this, I know Nog would never do something like this and is probably pissed off Anderson disrespected everything that Nog has fought to near death for, MMA.

Post #37   4/12/10 4:00:23AM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

At least Silva is now done with the BJJ experts at middleweight (Leites and Maia).

His next MW fight can't help but be more exciting. I think he'll finish his next three opponents.

Post #38   4/12/10 9:00:56AM   

State_Champ

"I love you, my bitches!"

State_Champ Avatar

Career:2,278-1,416
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I can certainly see why Dana would be mad.
I just read somewhere that Anderson's display may have actually broken the 'timidity rule' of the unified rules.
Basically (according to this rule), Silva may be guilty of a failure to give his best efforts, a failure to compete honestly or a failure to give an honest exhibition of his skills in a contest of unarmed combat.
Sounds a bit subjective but rules are rules and I'll be interested to see anything more is made of this.

Edit: also, MiddleEasy.com points out that Silvas gloves were not taped at UFC 112

Last edited 4/12/10 9:53AM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #39   4/12/10 9:51:21AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Edit: also, MiddleEasy.com points out that Silvas gloves were not taped at UFC 112

Yeah, no doubt. I asked this in my first post in the UFC fourm, under that giant 'Anderson Silva' thread.....In terms of regualtion and protocal, thats a pretty big F-up. I don't recall seeing that before, whose responsible? I can't believe Mirgliota didn't notice, I have a hard time believing that would got by McCarthy or Herb.....but who knows. Anyway, its just another stain on an odd night for the UFC.

Post #40   4/12/10 11:37:05AM   

State_Champ

"I love you, my bitches!"

State_Champ Avatar

Career:2,278-1,416
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by State_Champ

Yeah, no doubt. I asked this in my first post in the UFC fourm, under that giant 'Anderson Silva' thread.....In terms of regualtion and protocal, thats a pretty big F-up. I don't recall seeing that before, whose responsible? I can't believe Mirgliota didn't notice, I have a hard time believing that would got by McCarthy or Herb.....but who knows. Anyway, its just another stain on an odd night for the UFC.

I'm surprised I didn't notice it! Maybe I don't watch the fights as closely as I believed.....

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #41   4/12/10 11:38:43AM   

jtgribble

Learning to Sprawl

Career:684-463
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I just checked it again. Silva's gloves do not appear to be taped. You can see that his hands are taped underneath, but the glove itself isn't. Is there a rule that says it has to be taped?

Post #42   4/12/10 4:16:58PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jtgribble

I just checked it again. Silva's gloves do not appear to be taped. You can see that his hands are taped underneath, but the glove itself isn't. Is there a rule that says it has to be taped?

Yes, they tape the gloves on and mark them so that you can tell if the gloves have been removed. It's to prevent fighters from doing anything illegal like putting something hard inside of their gloves to make punches harder, etc.

I really doubt Anderson would have any reason to do that, but that is the rule, and it's an important one.

Post #43   4/12/10 6:50:44PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Link

Well at least Andy could explain his side.....Ed Sores is an blank, anderson is a blank and I really don't ever want to see him fight again. Fedor is a beauty though. Funny watching Dana carve Ariel after that performance....ahhh man if only Dana had hind sight or a filter.

Post #44   4/13/10 3:22:23AM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:984-721
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
I remember watching the Silva vs Leites fight with a first time MMA watcher who was really trying hard to get into the sport...that night I felt embarassed for MMA.

The other night I almost dragged along a girl I'm seeing to watch the PPV for her first time...I'm soo glad I didn't.

Post #45   4/13/10 3:30:48AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4