Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Josh Koscheck Is Not Happy

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i dont like this argument where people say "hes just lucky that the ref stepped in because he was going to receive further punishment" To me, the guy is a professional fighter. He knows the risks going into the fight. I thought kos got rocked bad, but he seemed in no way to not be defending himself. He looked like he was going to pull guard and his eyes seemed fine. The fight should end when the fighter is finished, and can't defend himself anymore, not when the fighter is rocked. If this wasn't the case, then big nog would be considered a can, because he's been rocked in most of his fights, but the referees knew that being rocked and intelligently defending yourself are not impossible to do at the same time.

Post #31   2/22/09 7:50:59PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mikevolz

Looks pretty out...

Looks pretty ROCKED...not out.

Then he looks ok to go.

dude you know if the ref hadn't stepped in kos would have been blasted and unconscious, you're argument is ridiculous, where is this evidence you talk about, he was all done and about to be out. thiago even held back a shot that could have buried him but he knew kos was done too.

Your statement proves that YOUR comment is rediculous so think twice before calling someone out. How about Scott Smith vs. Pete Sell. Sell dropped Smith and it looked like he was about to **** out his intestines afer that shot. Sell rushed it (like Paulo should have) and Smith showed a lot of heart and caught him on the way in with a big right and knocked him unconscious.

The fact that you think you know how fights will end in a sport like MMA makes you rediculous.

You ask for my proof? How bout the FACT that Kos immediately got back up after the ref stopped it and was walking around and quite aware. He wasnt wobbly he wasnt falling all over......yeah he was KTFO

Last time I checked I never seen any ones brain not function due to a body shot. He immediately got back up because Thiago slowly walked over to him and didn't punch. Look at what happened to Chuck against Rampage. Chuck wasn't out cold but when Rampage jumped on him that was what did it should that fight have went longer because Chuck is a vet and was champ no. The ref made the right move Kos was out with a flash knock out and to keep him safe he stopped the fight and yes had Thiago jumped on him like Rampage did Chuck Kos would have been hurt.

Post #32   2/22/09 8:01:24PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mikevolz

Looks pretty out...

Then he looks ok to go.

dude you know if the ref hadn't stepped in kos would have been blasted and unconscious, you're argument is ridiculous, where is this evidence you talk about, he was all done and about to be out. thiago even held back a shot that could have buried him but he knew kos was done too.

Your statement proves that YOUR comment is rediculous so think twice before calling someone out. How about Scott Smith vs. Pete Sell. Sell dropped Smith and it looked like he was about to **** out his intestines afer that shot. Sell rushed it (like Paulo should have) and Smith showed a lot of heart and caught him on the way in with a big right and knocked him unconscious.

The fact that you think you know how fights will end in a sport like MMA makes you rediculous.

You ask for my proof? How bout the FACT that Kos immediately got back up after the ref stopped it and was walking around and quite aware. He wasnt wobbly he wasnt falling all over......yeah he was KTFO

Last time I checked I never seen any ones brain not function due to a body shot. He immediately got back up because Thiago slowly walked over to him and didn't punch. Look at what happened to Chuck against Rampage. Chuck wasn't out cold but when Rampage jumped on him that was what did it should that fight have went longer because Chuck is a vet and was champ no. The ref made the right move Kos was out with a flash knock out and to keep him safe he stopped the fight and yes had Thiago jumped on him like Rampage did Chuck Kos would have been hurt.

Your totally missing my point, if you say you have never seen anyones brain not function from a body shot then you have never taken a hard shot to the body, your brain reacts to severe pain no matter where it comes. I have become dizzy to the point of spinning from a hard body shot. I get your arguement that the blow to the head is different but the arguement is that Kos was no longer able to defend himself and on that note:

Your arguement of the Liddell/Jackson fight totally cemented my arguement and made yours null because you proved my point. Jackson dropped Liddell albiet not quite as hard BUT the ref let Rampage finish him off as he should have. The ref didnt even give Paulo a chance to finish nor for Kos to recover so I dont know why you were even comparing the two. Like I said veterans should be given the chance to defend themselves unless they are face down on the mat (maybe you should have used Evans/Liddell as an argument ) And in that fight the ref did give him a chance and therfore the fight had a conclusive end. (Jackson/Liddell)

Last edited 2/22/09 8:46PM server time by jakeiceman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #33   2/22/09 8:45:24PM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,665-1,157
Chips:
Kos was out for a split second
Kos regained and was ready again
without a definate ending
We'll never know what would've been

In boxing that's a Knockdown
They give you an eight count and let you go again

In MMA thats also a knockdown
But they don't give you a count
They let the guy finish it then and there
When did calling off a fight due to a knockdown in MMA become reasonable

The fight was there for the taking for Thiago
But not all fighters leap on that opportunity
Thiago didn't seem in a hurry
Hell the ref was quicker than him

There should be a new criterea
Win by PRS
(premature ref stoppage)
Thats were you look like your probably gonna win so the ref gives just it to you

Post #34   2/22/09 8:51:23PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by GDK

Kos was out for a split second
Kos regained and was ready again
without a definate ending
We'll never know what would've been

In boxing that's a Knockdown
They give you an eight count and let you go again

In MMA thats also a knockdown
But they don't give you a count
They let the guy finish it then and there
When did calling off a fight due to a knockdown in MMA become reasonable

The fight was there for the taking for Thiago
But not all fighters leap on that opportunity
Thiago didn't seem in a hurry
Hell the ref was quicker than him

There should be a new criterea
Win by PRS
(premature ref stoppage)
Thats were you look like your probably gonna win so the ref gives just it to you

Thank you! Someone gets it.

Post #35   2/22/09 8:53:05PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I guess the compromise with Montreal was that the UFC use their rules everywhere.

Actually, I am torn on this outcome. Kos looked to be a little cross-eyed on the knockdown, but not "out." Thiago didn't pounce, so with no immediate danger to KOS and him not being KO'ed, I feel the ref should have let it go on.

Dan actually got it right in the Dos Santos fight. Struve got rocked a little. Dan went to step in and then saw he was alright and left the fight continue. One could argue about the stoppage after the next couple of shots but... His first actions were correct.

I think the ref thought KOS was in for a beating and jumped a second too soon. I ahte when a guy is unconscience and recieves one or more additional hard shots.

The ref intervened a second too soon.
The ref had the best view, especially of KOS's eyes.
Better a second too soon than late.
Whatcha gonna do?

Post #36   2/22/09 9:03:48PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
It seems to me that every event now has a controversy!?!? I know it sucks to lose but, it looked like the ref did a good job.

Post #37   2/22/09 9:16:59PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
The thing is kos's knock down was no different than when nog got rocked by big tim. One fight was stopped and the other was not. Nog came back to win and kos was not given that chance. There needs to be consistency and the only way to get consistency is to provide better training for the referees.

Post #38   2/22/09 9:38:05PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mikevolz

Looks pretty out...

Then he looks ok to go.

smith vs. sell is an awful analogy, smith got hit in the body not the head therefore he was still alert albeit hurt, kos was hit in the head, come on now thiago could have buried him if he wanted to and didn't because he and the ref and every sain person knew he was done

Post #39   2/22/09 9:48:02PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Also,Smith was not dropped by that body shot-he backed away and bent over in pain.He didn't lay down on the mat until after he KO'ed Sell.

WB.

Post #40   2/22/09 10:02:10PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
Smith/Sell is a horrible analogy. There are very few similarities in the finishes of those two fights.

Post #41   2/22/09 10:19:47PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

Last time I checked I never seen any ones brain not function due to a body shot.

Ive seen fighters body's not be able to respond to what the brain tells it to due because of a body shot.

See Delahoya - Hopkins or Delucia - Rutten

Post #42   2/22/09 10:22:43PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547
smith vs. sell is an awful analogy, smith got hit in the body not the head therefore he was still alert albeit hurt, kos was hit in the head, come on now thiago could have buried him if he wanted to and didn't because he and the ref and every sain person knew he was done

Not half as bad of an analogy as Liddell/Jackson because you pretty much said that you agreed with me because Liddell wask rocked and the REF LET HIM FINISH instead of stopping it when Chuck went down. I dont think your really thinking about what I'm saying so I will just agree to disagree. Thanks for the debate!

Also higdon and WB, I know comparing the Smith/Sell fight was like comparing apples and oranges in the way they were finished I just used it because I thought Smith was done and at the last second he pulled off the win. I was basicly trying to say that you never know what can happen in a split second. If Kos was allowed to continue how do you know he wouldnt have slapped on a triangle or something crazy while Paulo pounced? You cant say because its a crazy sport.

Guess I just went about it in a strange way without really explaining so my bad.

Last edited 2/22/09 11:10PM server time by jakeiceman
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #43   2/22/09 10:33:56PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I dont think Paulo Thiago would have finished him off had the ref not jumped in.

He was standing there waiting for the ref to jump in... he was not mounting an offense at all, he gave Koscheck time to recover. In those two seconds of stalling Kosheck had already started showing signs of recovery.
He made sure to keep Paulo between his hips, raise his hands in defense , and establish & maintain eye contact.

Paulo hadnt even raised his hands to strike at this point.

How long would he have just stood waiting there for the ref to stop it before he started his offense?

Post #44   2/22/09 11:25:10PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

How long would he have just stood waiting there for the ref to stop it before he started his offense?

Could the ref had stopped the fight in KOS's favor because Thiago wasn't "Intelligently Offensive?"

Post #45   2/22/09 11:43:13PM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5