Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Hitman: I Like MMA, But...

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
His brother died from a harness breaking and falling 50 foot hitting his head onto a metal corner post, that makes wwe more dangerous than mma ever could be

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #31   12/13/07 6:51:52AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,047-1,306
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Gannon

I think you and I watch MMA for different reasons. I feel pro wrestling and mma don't belong in the same sentence. You must feel different. I'm just hoping I'm not in the minority. I can't hold my tounge...lol...Grown men watching WWE is just plain stupid. And watching it creep into my favorite sport is grueling.

But you have to understand MMA was spawned from Pro-wrestling.At least in Japan anyway.Starting with Carl Gotch,who trained the pro wrestler Antonio Inoki.(Gotch was given the nickname God of Pro Wrestling in Japan.Despite being a catch wrestler).Gotch can be traced back to the reason why we even have MMA in Japan prior to the UFC.If it wasn't for him their never would have been New Japan Pro Wrestling,which helped offshot organizations such as Shooto and Pancrase.The reprecussions saw Pro wrestlers eager for real competition.

Pancrase was real fighting,but held on to pro wrestling roots by allowing rope escapes.Because of all this,guys like Guy Mezger,Bas Rutten,Funaki,Ken Shamrock,and Frank Shamrock were able to have careers as fighters.

I think it comes down to a cultural difference.Pro wrestling in Japan and America are actualy different due to this.While I no longer watch Pro wrestling much,you still have to pay your respects to guys like Gotch or Inoki,who despite their wrestling backrounds,helped shape MMA in their own way.

This is sadly,a lost part of MMA history.I can only hope newer fans at least appreciate how pro wrestling in Japan helped boost MMA in that country.
America is just now doing what Japan first did over 15-30 years ago.(depending on how far back you go).

History is repeating itself.Pro wrestling merging with MMA in America is inevitable,and despite a lot of fans complaining,if you look back at how this shaped out in Japan,nothing but good things will come from it.

Last edited 12/13/07 8:01AM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #32   12/13/07 7:55:17AM   

Gannon

MMA Regular

Gannon Avatar

Career:2,992-1,742
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mr Smiley I can appreciate your point. And as much as i despise pro wrestling that is a link. And yes i have heard Josh Barnet ramble on about this numerous times. That said! American Pro Wrestling is so far from MMA its a freaking joke. I for one am much more concerned with Brazilian mma history. As fans we need to discern this. I can only think of a couple prowrestler that could even come close to competing at any serious mma level. Brock Leserner being one of them(Brock of course has trained for years and has a legit base). Big steroid ridden prowreslters would NEVER make it in the UFC. HELLO.. I would hope that you guys would be more concerned with who is winning the yearly NCAA championships vs an irritating acting contest.

GET REAL GUYS!!! ITS FAKE... LET GO!!!

Post #33   12/13/07 8:38:55AM   

Gannon

MMA Regular

Gannon Avatar

Chips:
I wonder what China thinks of MMA. Does that belong on this forum?

Post #34   12/13/07 8:41:47AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:
they held their first big event not too long ago.

Post #35   12/13/07 8:44:45AM   

Gannon

MMA Regular

Gannon Avatar

Chips:
I meant the great pro wrestler CHINA!

Post #36   12/13/07 9:00:13AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:
LOL.In that case

Chyna.I'm no spell expert though.I have no idea on that one man.

Post #37   12/13/07 9:28:12AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3