Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anderson Silva holds he didn't lose to Chris Weidman at UFC 168

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

First fight - Silva clowning is part of his arsenal and has never cost him a fight...or even gotten him into much trouble.

After two wins, Weidman would likely be something like -250 despite the unusual outcomes simply because Silva was losing both fights before the quirks happened. How do people not remember the first rounds of either fight (especially the second fight where Silva was nearly KO'd)? In neither fight was Silva able to get any kind of significant offense going and was dominated in all aspects.

Props

I've been saying the same things for a while now. The first fight wasn't a fluke at all and I think it's ridiculous that anyone makes that claim. If Anderson had lost any of his previous fights while showboating like that would everyone be saying it was a fluke? Unfortunately they probably would, but it wouldn't make sense. On the flipside, had Anderson beaten Weidman in that first fight everyone would just be talking about how much of a master Anderson is at playing that game. The fact is Weidman was throwing bombs at Anderson's face with bad intentions, and it's not like Anderson didn't know Weidman was trying to knock him out. That's not a fluke at all. Weidman beat Anderson at his own game and that's all there is to it.

The first fight makes me think everyone in the UFC should just start playing games and showboating like Anderson, because that way if they lose they can just say "well I was playing around so it was a fluke!"

Lastly, like Onyx stated, Anderson had no offense going for him in either fight other than the leg kicks, and we all saw how that worked out for him. If they were to ever fight again do you suppose Anderson would be throwing leg kicks like that? Maybe, but it's unlikely. It's not that difficult to check a leg kick whether it's Anderson throwing it or any other fighter, and without his leg kicks he really had no offense whatsoever against Weidman. Weidman beat Anderson everywhere that fight took place.

The Korean Zombie made Aldo's leg kicks completely useless to him by checking one of the very first kicks he threw and breaking Aldo's foot in the process. Is that a fluke or is that strategy? Even Aldo credited TKZ for doing the right thing to avoid the kicks, which leads me to another point I've made several times: had Anderson's leg not have broken in the Weidman rematch it still would've been in really bad shape after Weidman checked it that second time, especially considering Anderson told his corner that he actually hurt it after the first round. Do you think that after that check by Weidman in round two that Anderson would've just kept throwing it? It's possible that he would have, but how much damage would he have been able to inflict on Weidman? How much damage would he have continued to inflict on himself?

It doesn't matter how conditioned your shins are; you can't just keep throwing kicks with an injured leg without hurting yourself as we saw with Aldo/TKZ. Weidman did the right thing to avoid Anderson's kicks, and Anderson had to of known he was playing with fire by continuing to throw those kicks. Minus those kicks Anderson's offense was null against Weidman. He had nothing else going for him. Weidman beat him everywhere.

It's a damn shame the way the fight ended, but to act like Weidman winning both fights is a fluke is just ridiculous.

PS: I've been sober for over two months and just got baked, so that's probably why this post became so gigantic. So excuse that, but I still speak the truth!

Post #16   1/13/14 4:13:36AM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,010-590
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Posted by OnyxShadow

First fight - Silva clowning is part of his arsenal and has never cost him a fight...or even gotten him into much trouble.

After two wins, Weidman would likely be something like -250 despite the unusual outcomes simply because Silva was losing both fights before the quirks happened. How do people not remember the first rounds of either fight (especially the second fight where Silva was nearly KO'd)? In neither fight was Silva able to get any kind of significant offense going and was dominated in all aspects.

Props

I've been saying the same things for a while now. The first fight wasn't a fluke at all and I think it's ridiculous that anyone makes that claim. If Anderson had lost any of his previous fights while showboating like that would everyone be saying it was a fluke? Unfortunately they probably would, but it wouldn't make sense. On the flipside, had Anderson beaten Weidman in that first fight everyone would just be talking about how much of a master Anderson is at playing that game. The fact is Weidman was throwing bombs at Anderson's face with bad intentions, and it's not like Anderson didn't know Weidman was trying to knock him out. That's not a fluke at all. Weidman beat Anderson at his own game and that's all there is to it.

The first fight makes me think everyone in the UFC should just start playing games and showboating like Anderson, because that way if they lose they can just say "well I was playing around so it was a fluke!"

Lastly, like Onyx stated, Anderson had no offense going for him in either fight other than the leg kicks, and we all saw how that worked out for him. If they were to ever fight again do you suppose Anderson would be throwing leg kicks like that? Maybe, but it's unlikely. It's not that difficult to check a leg kick whether it's Anderson throwing it or any other fighter, and without his leg kicks he really had no offense whatsoever against Weidman. Weidman beat Anderson everywhere that fight took place.

The Korean Zombie made Aldo's leg kicks completely useless to him by checking one of the very first kicks he threw and breaking Aldo's foot in the process. Is that a fluke or is that strategy? Even Aldo credited TKZ for doing the right thing to avoid the kicks, which leads me to another point I've made several times: had Anderson's leg not have broken in the Weidman rematch it still would've been in really bad shape after Weidman checked it that second time, especially considering Anderson told his corner that he actually hurt it after the first round. Do you think that after that check by Weidman in round two that Anderson would've just kept throwing it? It's possible that he would have, but how much damage would he have been able to inflict on Weidman? How much damage would he have continued to inflict on himself?

It doesn't matter how conditioned your shins are; you can't just keep throwing kicks with an injured leg without hurting yourself as we saw with Aldo/TKZ. Weidman did the right thing to avoid Anderson's kicks, and Anderson had to of known he was playing with fire by continuing to throw those kicks. Minus those kicks Anderson's offense was null against Weidman. He had nothing else going for him. Weidman beat him everywhere.

It's a damn shame the way the fight ended, but to act like Weidman winning both fights is a fluke is just ridiculous.

PS: I've been sober for over two months and just got baked, so that's probably why this post became so gigantic. So excuse that, but I still speak the truth!

Good post and points, so it makes up for the long post. Id give you props but they wont let me. Also, maybe the second fight ended in a fluke (although Weidman was beating the piss out of a non clowning, serious Anderson before the break), but by no means was there anything flukish, lucky or questionable in the first fight. Anderson got KTFO. In no way can you dispute that.

Post #17   1/13/14 9:12:10AM   

ry_dawg63

MMA Regular

ry_dawg63 Avatar

Career:565-368
Chips:
this some funny stuff right here. and the best part about it is theres still a bunch of clowns believing it! if any fight was luck it had to be the first one. he was showing him no respect putting his chin in the air like some bozo and got caught. now do you really think Chris didnt train to check those leg kicks after there first fight? that was the only thing Anderson was able to successfully land on him in the first fight. You really believe that he didn't spend hours every week in the gym training to defend/check Anderson's kicks? Come on man I bet Anderson him self knows damn well he trained to check those kick! Hes just trying to deal with his own mistake. Quit making excuses Anderson, its only making you look bad.

Post #18   1/13/14 11:03:32AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,441-827
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by ry_dawg63

this some funny stuff right here. and the best part about it is theres still a bunch of clowns believing it! if any fight was luck it had to be the first one. he was showing him no respect putting his chin in the air like some bozo and got caught. now do you really think Chris didnt train to check those leg kicks after there first fight? that was the only thing Anderson was able to successfully land on him in the first fight. You really believe that he didn't spend hours every week in the gym training to defend/check Anderson's kicks? Come on man I bet Anderson him self knows damn well he trained to check those kick! Hes just trying to deal with his own mistake. Quit making excuses Anderson, its only making you look bad.

Checking his leg kick isn't a fluke. Snapping Andy's leg while checking the leg kick was a fluke.

That statement shouldn't be controversial. If the majority of people who had their leg kicks checked snapped their legs it wouldn't be a fluke but to this day I've only seen it happen twice. I'll be the first to say it wasn't a fluke when these leg breaks become a common occurrence but until they do, Andy's leg break is a fluke.

Post #19   1/13/14 12:01:02PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:1,886-1,280
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
Both fights ended a bit on the ? side but nevertheless they both ended with Weidman's hand raised. He is the Champ...NEXT

Post #20   1/13/14 12:02:03PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,070-584
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Kpro

If lines opened up near even, Weidman would be up to -200 within 24 hours, I'd think, if they were to fight again.

Not doubting that, atleast -200.

Yeah, one thing is for sure if they fight again: Chris will finally be the favorite.

Post #21   1/13/14 12:51:40PM   

ry_dawg63

MMA Regular

ry_dawg63 Avatar

Career:565-368
Chips:
i hear you breaking the leg with a check isn't that common, but that's not what the article is about. Anderson is saying he didn't lose to Weidman. Just like he did after the first fight. He's even going as far to say he doesn't believe Chris trained to check kicks, that he did it out of instinct. Thats ridiculous. If you watch the fight its clear he's not just liftinghis leg out of ddesperation, he's turning and stepping into them. I've trained and fought in MMA and believe me when a wrestler gets leg kicked bad in a fight he he shoots/catches kick and goes for the take down. He doesn't miraculously come up with a Perfect check.

Post #22   1/13/14 1:46:55PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG
I think Silva is wrong to bother trying to discredit Weidman's wins (especially the 1st one) but I don't think there is a fighter in MMA history who has 2 less convincing finishes over an the same opponent.

The second barely counts at all, and the first was legit but had a lot to do with Silva's disrespect for Weidman's power.

If Silva was healthy and the 2 were to fight again on the next card I doubt Weidman would be much of a favorite.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

I would rather not see Anderson making these arguments, but at the same time it doesn't bother me given Wiedman's behavior after the fight. If Wiedman would have come out and said "I don't consider this a win, it was a freak accident" then Silva wouldn't be making these statements. Because Wiedman instead chose the disrespectful/delusional route of claiming his leg kick practice was the cause of his victory, it doesn't bother me to see Anderson fire back.

Both fights left question marks. Sorry, but I find it a bit silly to say otherwise. Neither fight was a "normal" win. One was the result of Anderon's own clowning rather than anything Wiedman did. The second was a result of random bad luck.

Posted by ry_dawg63

BillsNewAccount already responded fairly well to this but I wanted to add an analogy.

If Chris Wiedman won because he practiced leg kicks, Clint Hester beat Dylan Andrews because he practiced blocking punches.

Either claim is absurd.

No one doubts that Wiedman practiced checking kicks. That much was obvious. Checking a kick is intended to prevent damage to your leg and inflict pain on your opponent. Its supposed to make your opponent hesitant to throw, not break his leg. Its a defensive, rather than offensive, technique.

Wiedman did not intend to break his leg. If the fight happened a million or so time again, he would not break his leg. Perhaps hundreds of thousands of leg kicks have been checked in UFC history and only TWO of them have resulted in broken legs.

It was random. Nothing else.

Post #23   1/13/14 5:32:57PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,130-798
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Anderson is telling himself stories. He lost, with obvious caveats generating a certain level of victory in both fights, but they are losses none the less.

Post #24   1/13/14 6:31:33PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
The Anderson Silva nuthuggers just can't get over the fact that he got completely outclassed in every area by Weidman in both fights

Post #25   1/13/14 7:16:41PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Chips:
I rank this broken leg win up there with early ref stoppages. The fight should have went on(but shit happens). I think Silva saying this is just him being confident in himself. We don't know how the fight was going to go after the break. In all honesty it looked like Silva was getting into his Grove when his leg broke. But the bottom line is it broke and we didn't get what anyone wanted. Which was a unquestionable win for either fighter.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #26   1/13/14 7:27:12PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

The Anderson Silva nuthuggers just can't get over the fact that he got completely outclassed in every area by Weidman in both fights

I'm far from an Anderson Silva nuthugger, in fact I'm much more of a Weidman fan than a Silva fan.

Outclassed is a gross exaggeration of either fight though.

Anderson Silva outclassed Forrest Griffin, Ryan Bader outclassed Anthony Perosh, and Randy Couture outclassed James Toney.

In no way did Weidman outclass Silva. He won every round between them, but in the first fight he narrowly won round 1 and was losing round 2 until catching Anderson clowning him. In the most recent fight the volume of strikes was even, but Weidmans were the more powerful and then a freak accident ended the fight.

Fights won by injury to me are only slightly better than fights won by DQ, they count but celebrating them is pretty ridiculous

Post #27   1/13/14 8:18:41PM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,043-622
Chips:
He technically lost, but it shouldn't feel like a real loss. Unlike Cote, Silva was only in the second rd (and yeah, I know he lost that round)

Post #28   1/13/14 9:43:42PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:944-621
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

and it seems he's hugging his own nuts here

Post #29   1/13/14 10:25:56PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Chips:
Maybe Weidman should have beat him before Silva broke his own leg

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #30   1/14/14 10:40:40AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3