Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Silva to undergo immediate surgery for broken leg

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Webbie

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Webbie

Weidman had Silva's number, and he deserves respect. Weidman dominated him in that first round so much that it could've been a 10-8 round.

I just think Weidman deserves the credit for the win. I think he proved to be Silva's kryptonite with or without the leg break.

I agree with jus about everything you say. Weidman deserves credit for dominating Silva like we've never seen. But I feel we have an incomplete fight, with weidman winning by a technicality. Was he winning up to that point? Yes and decisively, but in the fight game we know that fortunes change in fractions of a second. I just want some closure

Yeah, I feel similar because MMA is so unpredictable.

How much credit does Weidman deserve for checking that kick, though? It was obviously something he was prepared for and worked on extensively, and Silva definitely made a big mistake by putting so much into that kick when he knew how dangerous it was to throw it from the southpaw stance on a guy standing orthodox.

But yeah, it's very unfortunate and I wish we could've seen a real KO or submission finish from either guy.

Lol come on Webbie. Saying he trained to to check leg kicks is like saying he trained to block punches. It would be like giving hester credit for andrews dislocating his shoulder on the overhand right he threw. And then saying andrews should have known better than to throw his overhand that hard. It was a freak occurrence.

Obviously it was a freak occurence. I'm not debating that.

But let's say Silva's leg didn't break. It would still have damaged his leg badly enough that he probably would've refrained from throwing many more kicks with that leg. At the very least he would've been much more careful with when and where to throw the kick, and that would've made his entire offense much less effective when you consider that his leg kicks were the only thing he really had going for him against Weidman.

Post #16   12/29/13 1:48:19PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I think it's absolutely fair to say that Weidman's trained to check leg kicks, considering that -

-Ray Longo's been hammering it into Weidman's head since at least the 1st fight, in between the 1st and 2nd rounds,

-We don't hear many coaches advising their fighters to check leg kicks, and

-We certainly don't hear many coaches advise checking with the level of precision that Longo has (with regards to using the knee)

Sure, rare freak accidents occur, and I don't think Weidman's intent was to snap Silva's leg. But I think Weidman deserves more credit than he's getting.

To this point, he's shown that he's a special athlete with an exceptional command of distance, and the only question for me at the moment is whether he can handle the speed of TRT Vitor. I think Jacare's a worthy contender, but if Weidman shows up healthy and continues his awesome footwork, I don't see the belt changing owners there.

Last edited 12/29/13 3:55PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   12/29/13 3:55:08PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

I just think Weidman deserves the credit for the win. I think he proved to be Silva's kryptonite with or without the leg break.

I disagree.

I'm still 100% unconvinced that he's the better fighter. Both fights were flukes IMO and this one more so.

I feel so bad for Anderson. If this is the end of his career, its an absolutely horrendous way to go out. This fight has seriously made me rethink my whole outlook on this sport. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch it the same way again. Seeing my hero go down like that, writhing on the floor and screaming in pain...it really got to me in a way I didn't expect.

I'm also 100% convinced that I don't like Weidman now. Seeing him run around the ring celebrating and hugging everyone, with Silva in excruciating pain behind him, it was disgusting. Complete lack of sportsmanship and concern for his opponent.

Post #18   12/29/13 4:59:42PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I disagree.

I'm still 100% unconvinced that he's the better fighter. Both fights were flukes IMO and this one more so.

I respect your opinion and don't want to sound like I'm attacking you, but I do wonder what convinces you that Anderson is the better fighter, or if you're convinced that Anderson is the better fighter at all.

At no point during either fight did Anderson prove to be better than Weidman at anything. Even in the striking where Anderson was expected to be superior, he never accomplished anything at striking range that should lead anyone to assume he was better than Weidman. I know it probably sounds like I'm just hating on Anderson, but I've always liked him as a fighter and I still consider him to be the greatest of all time in MMA.

I can understand not being convinced that Weidman's the better fighter, but there's also nothing that should convince anyone that Anderson's better as well, at least judging from the two fights they've had.

Also, I disagree that their first fight was a fluke. Had Anderson won no one would've even mentioned his antics during the fight; he did that in every fight.

No disrespect intended. Anderson's the GOAT.

Post #19   12/29/13 5:22:27PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,184-1,486
Chips:
You can say what you want but in reality Weidman's two wins against Silva should have asterisks next to them. Their first fight was iffy due to Silva's clowning around antics which directly resulted in him getting knocked out. In the fight last night Silva broke his leg. Sure Weidman has two wins against Silva now but neither of them are 100% legit or straightforward.

Post #20   12/29/13 5:35:10PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

Posted by isk

I think it's absolutely fair to say that Weidman's trained to check leg kicks, considering that -

-Ray Longo's been hammering it into Weidman's head since at least the 1st fight, in between the 1st and 2nd rounds,

-We certainly don't hear many coaches advise checking with the level of precision that Longo has (with regards to using the knee)

Sure, rare freak accidents occur, and I don't think Weidman's intent was to snap Silva's leg. But I think Weidman deserves more credit than he's getting.

To this point, he's shown that he's a special athlete with an exceptional command of distance, and the only question for me at the moment is whether he can handle the speed of TRT Vitor. I think Jacare's a worthy contender, but if Weidman shows up healthy and continues his awesome footwork, I don't see the belt changing owners there.

I guess you're easily impressed. This was one of the first things taught to every new participant in nearly every mma striking or muay thai class I've participated in. I expect the ability to check leg kicks at the championship level, this isn't amateur hour.

Post #21   12/29/13 6:04:12PM   

Lucas

MMA Regular

Lucas Avatar

Career:1,390-814
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Im so dissapointed in the conclussion to this fight because I don't think it gave us the answers we wanted.

Weidman cant do anymore than he did but with that said even if you think Weidman had silvas number, it doesn't make him the better fighter, in my eyes that will be determined by how long he holds on to the title and how many great fighters he beats along the way.

If gsp had got injured in the 2nd fight with serra would everyone be saying serras the better fighter. Maybe Weidman will prove to be the better fighter but we wont know that for another 5 years imo

Post #22   12/29/13 6:15:50PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
Not to gang up on folks, right, I think this is a worthwhile discussion. I just think Weidman's wins are full and genuine.

The 1st fight was Weidman's the whole time. Silva landed a few leg kicks, sure, but for the most part he was content with a single strike attempt. The vast majority of these were dodged or blocked by Weidman, with the most significant being a few leg kicks. Those are potent especially coming from a striker like Silva, but Weidman's mobility wasn't affected and he showed almost no visible signs of damage.

After that, well, Silva got knocked out cold. Regardless of whether he was clowning, showboating, or trying to psyche out Weidman, Silva chose a strategy that someone else capitalized on. To me, this is little different than choosing to fall into Fabricio Werdum's guard, or staying at mid-range against Edson Barboza or Jose Aldo. It's a tactical error, and while I welcomed a rematch, I didn't question the stoppage or the circumstances.

Speaking of, the rematch was also Weidman's the whole time. He took Silva down once, then remarkably beat the Spider at his own game in the clinch. The punch he landed behind Silva's ear wasn't a lucky shot - it was clean, it was accurate, and it was one of the best kinds of strikes to land against a guy with a good chin. It'll mess up anyone's equilibrium.

On the ground, Silva definitely landed some nice strikes, but they were spread out over time and didn't have the added power of hip-turning or momentum. They were discouraging, for sure - we can see Weidman adjust and put his head on Silva's chest to regroup. But Weidman was landing shots of his own, many of which had the benefit of posture.

Then there was the break. I touched on this in a prior post. Weidman's intent wasn't to break, but it was to heavily discourage and both he and Longo talked about it enough to seem like it was practiced and intended.

I think by this point there's enough evidence to give Weidman credit, and to leave off the asterisks or conditions. The man's the champ because he took it to the champ, twice, and not at any time was he in trouble.

Posted by NE-1

I guess you're easily impressed. This was one of the first things taught to every new participant in nearly every mma striking or muay thai class I've participated in. I expect the ability to check leg kicks at the championship level, this isn't amateur hour.

It's not amateur hour, and I'll thank you to not call me easily impressed by a rare event. I'm not saying the simple act of checking leg kicks is a big deal, no - I'm saying the way Weidman did it is notable, especially considering it's taken this long for someone to do it.

Here's what Weidman's done:

--Completely neutralized the champion, twice
--Stopped the champion, twice
--Beat the champion at his own game, twice (striking & clinch)
--Still played to his own strengths (wrestling / GnP)

Sure, a submission or a knockout in the 2nd fight would be better. Yes, Silva clowned around in the 1st. But he got beat both times at his own game. It's not a tragedy, it's not a discredit to the man, the fighter, or the legacy. It was just his time, and I think Weidman was the better fighter each time.

If any fighters deserve loyalty and the benefit of the doubt, Anderson Silva's one of them, so I can understand a lot of the sentiment here. I just think it's time to stop protecting the man and to acknowledge Weidman as the real deal.

Post #23   12/29/13 6:48:57PM   

Lucas

MMA Regular

Lucas Avatar

Career:1,390-814
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by isk

Not to gang up on folks, right, I think this is a worthwhile discussion. I just think Weidman's wins are full and genuine.

The 1st fight was Weidman's the whole time. Silva landed a few leg kicks, sure, but for the most part he was content with a single strike attempt. The vast majority of these were dodged or blocked by Weidman, with the most significant being a few leg kicks. Those are potent especially coming from a striker like Silva, but Weidman's mobility wasn't affected and he showed almost no visible signs of damage.

you always make educated posts so im keen to hear wont your response is to my post. I honestly done see how you can determine that Weidman is the real deal and a better fighter than Silva until we see what he does over the next 5 years

After that, well, Silva got knocked out cold. Regardless of whether he was clowning, showboating, or trying to psyche out Weidman, Silva chose a strategy that someone else capitalized on. To me, this is little different than choosing to fall into Fabricio Werdum's guard, or staying at mid-range against Edson Barboza or Jose Aldo. It's a tactical error, and while I welcomed a rematch, I didn't question the stoppage or the circumstances.

Speaking of, the rematch was also Weidman's the whole time. He took Silva down once, then remarkably beat the Spider at his own game in the clinch. The punch he landed behind Silva's ear wasn't a lucky shot - it was clean, it was accurate, and it was one of the best kinds of strikes to land against a guy with a good chin. It'll mess up anyone's equilibrium.

On the ground, Silva definitely landed some nice strikes, but they were spread out over time and didn't have the added power of hip-turning or momentum. They were discouraging, for sure - we can see Weidman adjust and put his head on Silva's chest to regroup. But Weidman was landing shots of his own, many of which had the benefit of posture.

Then there was the break. I touched on this in a prior post. Weidman's intent wasn't to break, but it was to heavily discourage and both he and Longo talked about it enough to seem like it was practiced and intended.

I think by this point there's enough evidence to give Weidman credit, and to leave off the asterisks or conditions. The man's the champ because he took it to the champ, twice, and not at any time was he in trouble.

Posted by NE-1

It's not amateur hour, and I'll thank you to not call me easily impressed by a rare event. I'm not saying the simple act of checking leg kicks is a big deal, no - I'm saying the way Weidman did it is notable, especially considering it's taken this long for someone to do it.

Here's what Weidman's done:

--Completely neutralized the champion, twice
--Stopped the champion, twice
--Beat the champion at his own game, twice (striking & clinch)
--Still played to his own strengths (wrestling / GnP)

Sure, a submission or a knockout in the 2nd fight would be better. Yes, Silva clowned around in the 1st. But he got beat both times at his own game. It's not a tragedy, it's not a discredit to the man, the fighter, or the legacy. It was just his time, and I think Weidman was the better fighter each time.

If any fighters deserve loyalty and the benefit of the doubt, Anderson Silva's one of them, so I can understand a lot of the sentiment here. I just think it's time to stop protecting the man and to acknowledge Weidman as the real deal.

You always give educated responses so I would like to know your thoughts on my previous post. I dont know how you can say Weidman is the better fighter until we see what he does over the next 5 years.he may well have silvas number but it doesn't make him the better fighter, he could easily get knocked out in his next fight with belfort, so lets not jump to conclusions until further down the line

Last edited 12/29/13 7:04PM server time by lucas

Post #24   12/29/13 6:58:36PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Lucas

You always give educated responses so I would like to know your thoughts on my previous post. I dont know how you can say Weidman is the better fighter until we see what he does over the next 5 years.he may well have silvas number but it doesn't make him the better fighter, he could easily get knocked out in his next fight with belfort, so lets not jump to conclusions until further down the line

Word, and thanks. I think it's a good point, and that Weidman's clearly beaten the GOAT - he just hasn't yet replaced Silva as the GOAT.

I think Vitor's speed and power present an interesting challenge, and I don't think he's going to either try to play mindgames or have a limb snapped in a freak injury. My money's on Weidman with his timing, his use of range, and his all-around strong game, but I wouldn't be shocked or mad if Vitor goes beastmode and wins. He's a great fighter with a story.

What would get me mad is if the fight takes place in Brazil (I love the country, but lol regulations), or if Vitor gets popped for elevated testosterone levels.

Past that, I think Weidman's next biggest threat is Machida. Despite Weidman's talents, he'd be going up against a life-long martial artist with roughly equal size and incredible speed. I don't think it's a nightmare matchup for either guy, right, I feel they each have a valid shot, but it is a question I'd like answered.

After that, we're getting into Jacare / Rockhold / etc. territory - guys who may put together win streaks and may have their own legitimate tools, but not ones I feel that Weidman wouldn't be a clear and justified favorite.

Last edited 12/29/13 8:29PM server time by isk

Post #25   12/29/13 7:19:41PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:952-638
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
for anyone to say weidman's wins over silva were "lucky" is ridiculous. silva was dominated in every round they fought. the first fight silva got KTFO cold and the second got his leg snapped in half because of the way weidman checked the leg kick. get with it fellas there's a new king in town and his name is chris weidman.

Post #26   12/29/13 7:55:52PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:1,008-534
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

for anyone to say weidman's wins over silva were "lucky" is ridiculous. silva was dominated in every round they fought. the first fight silva got KTFO cold and the second got his leg snapped in half because of the way weidman checked the leg kick. get with it fellas there's a new king in town and his name is chris weidman.

I am not going to say that either of Weidman's wins were "lucky", but you cannot dispute that the circumstances in which he won both times were far from typical in mixed martial arts. I would define both of Weidman's wins as "odd."

Chris Weidman deserves all the credit in the world for both victories, but they may have been two of the strangest victories in the history of MMA. Especially when you consider that they were both title fights.

Post #27   12/29/13 8:43:45PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

Posted by isk

You've made a 3 subpoint post about how impressed you are by checked leg kicks. Sorry if my observation offended you. No one debated that what weidman did as a whole was impressive or not. But swooning over a checked leg kick? All of a sudden a routine defense technique is offensive weapon of the year?

Leg kicks are checked every fight, every few thousand something gives and a freak injury occurs. Pretty routine stuff in terms of a game plan. If Silva sprawls on a double leg and weidmans arm broke would you be singing the same praise? I think not.

Last edited 12/29/13 9:18PM server time by ne-1
2 total post edits

Post #28   12/29/13 8:54:50PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:952-638
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:

Posted by Michael_Corleone

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

I am not going to say that either of Weidman's wins were "lucky", but you cannot dispute that the circumstances in which he won both times were far from typical in mixed martial arts. I would define both of Weidman's wins as "odd."

Chris Weidman deserves all the credit in the world for both victories, but they may have been two of the strangest victories in the history of MMA. Especially when you consider that they were both title fights.

i don't think anything was odd about the first fight with the exception of silva was in the cage with someone who wasn't afraid of him and was fast enough and strong enough to turn his lights out. that's never happened to silva in the UFC. the second fight silva was getting pounded on (again) and weidman actually meant to put his knee on silva's shin. no one was expecting his leg to snap like that but like t. browne said there's a new breed of fighters that's hit the scene and weidman is one of them. at least that's the way i see it

Last edited 12/29/13 9:06PM server time by voodoo-jitsu

Post #29   12/29/13 9:03:50PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NE-1

You've made a 3 subpoint post about how impressed you are by checked leg kicks. Sorry if my observation offended you. No one debated that what weidman did as a whole was impressive or not. But swooning over a checked leg kick? All of a sudden a routine defense technique is offensive weapon of the year?

Leg kicks are checked every fight, every few thousand something gives and a freak injury occurs. Pretty routine stuff in terms of a game plan if. Silva sprawls on a double leg and weidmans arm broke would you be singing the same praise? I think not.

It's not about the basic technique of checking a leg kick. I'm fully aware this is a common occurrence.

It's about deliberately using the knee to check (which is uncommon), that Weidman is one of the first to successfully check Silva's leg kicks (which didn't happen often due to Silva's speed, intimidation, and low number of leg kicks he's thrown), and that a guy's leg snapped from the check (which has happened only a few times in the UFC).

To use your analogy, if Silva sprawled on Weidman to stop a takedown, and Weidman's arm broke, I probably wouldn't be saying the same thing - unless Silva did so in a way that deliberately torques one of the shooter's arms, and that this technique was refined in practice. That's the difference.

Last edited 12/29/13 9:17PM server time by isk

Post #30   12/29/13 9:15:41PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4