Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gerald Harris: Jon Fitch's potential WSOF title shot 'straight-up ridiculous'

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,356-1,302
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Granting an immediate title shot to a guy who was just cut from the UFC and has never fought for your organization is essentially conceding that your division is 2nd rate. Its even worse when that guy is coming off a loss.

But isn't it? Does anyone dispute that WSOF is 2nd rate when compared to the UFC?

Not that I mind...I'll still watch. I think it's a bit silly for WSOF or any non-UFC org to try and fight the public's perception that they are "second rate". If you have success as an organization and start recruiting fighters with every bit as much talent as (current) UFC fighters, then fantastic...you are no longer 2nd rate. But until such time...wear the badge proudly and create an entertaining product with what you have.

Hell, I think Fitch should still be in the UFC, But you can't say that about the rest of WSOF's roster.

Post #16   3/27/13 3:37:57PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,291-843
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
the ufc does this kind of thing on the regular. no big deal.

seems like nobody is considering fitch actually losing the shot. which imo would be a huge win for wsof.

Post #17   3/27/13 4:54:28PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Posted by FlashyG

Granting an immediate title shot to a guy who was just cut from the UFC and has never fought for your organization is essentially conceding that your division is 2nd rate. Its even worse when that guy is coming off a loss.

But isn't it? Does anyone dispute that WSOF is 2nd rate when compared to the UFC?

Not that I mind...I'll still watch. I think it's a bit silly for WSOF or any non-UFC org to try and fight the public's perception that they are "second rate". If you have success as an organization and start recruiting fighters with every bit as much talent as (current) UFC fighters, then fantastic...you are no longer 2nd rate. But until such time...wear the badge proudly and create an entertaining product with what you have.

Hell, I think Fitch should still be in the UFC, But you can't say that about the rest of WSOF's roster.

Maybe it is 2nd rate compared to the UFC, but IMO by giving him an immediate shot they are even conceding the 2nd spot to Bellator.

Whether you think a guy is good enough to beat your title holder or not the point is that the onus should be on the fighter to prove it by actually winning some fights in his new home.

By granting him an immediate shot you are basically saying that every fight to determine seeding within your division is worthless because none of your fighters are as good as whoever the next UFC castoff will be.

Its one thing if its a title holder switching organizations. In that case I can see why you'd have an immediate title shot, but in the case of a middle of the division fighter coming off a loss it strikes me as desperate.

Post #18   3/27/13 8:13:47PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

If Burkman beats Fitch, then it's good for WSOF. If he loses then it kind of makes them look bad, but not that much, Jon Fitch isn't your average former UFC fighter.

I think Burkman will beat Fitch, and I think Sefo thinks the same, hence why he's pushing the fight.

You honestly think Burkman will beat Fitch? I'd shit myself if he did

Post #19   3/27/13 9:50:38PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2