Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

James Te Huna replaces Ryan Bader, faces Glover Teixeira at UFC 160

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,364-1,587
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by bootyclause

Bader would have won in classic "underrated wrestler derails non-wrestler hype train run amok". 29-28 Bader. yup.

It annoys me a little that UFC wants to push Glover hard but they make this fight just for him to get target practice. It's an excuse to make a can crusher fight to further the Glover hysteria (yea, I called Te Huna a can, the whole bottom end of the division is not very talented).

They could just as easily pull Thiago Silva or Feijao out of that fight or put Machida out there and make it good. Lil Nog deserves that fight as well.

The only thing that makes Te Huna a good fight in my opinion is that he will throw ugly haymakers and get KO'd in spectacular fashion.

He's fighting cans? He's only had three fights in the UFC. It wouldn't be fair to throw him to the Shoguns' and Machidas' straight out of the gate.

Yeah but one of those three was Rampage so the next logical step is actually the Machidas and Ruas etc

Post #16   3/12/13 2:14:42AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,692-972
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by bootyclause

Bader would have won in classic "underrated wrestler derails non-wrestler hype train run amok". 29-28 Bader. yup.

It annoys me a little that UFC wants to push Glover hard but they make this fight just for him to get target practice. It's an excuse to make a can crusher fight to further the Glover hysteria (yea, I called Te Huna a can, the whole bottom end of the division is not very talented).

They could just as easily pull Thiago Silva or Feijao out of that fight or put Machida out there and make it good. Lil Nog deserves that fight as well.

The only thing that makes Te Huna a good fight in my opinion is that he will throw ugly haymakers and get KO'd in spectacular fashion.

He's fighting cans? He's only had three fights in the UFC. It wouldn't be fair to throw him to the Shoguns' and Machidas' straight out of the gate.

Yeah but one of those three was Rampage so the next logical step is actually the Machidas and Ruas etc

i believe FastKOs point was not to throw Glover to the big guys right away. yeah he beat Rampage & they gave him a solid opponent in Bader. Bader got hurt, they needed a fill in, & since the other big guys are already taken, it only makes sense to give a guy like TeHuna the fight. it wasnt planned this way, but it is what it is.

Post #17   3/12/13 3:45:19AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:771-424
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
wow !! this is fucking awesome !!!

whoever can get their punches off first wins. Both guys are solid everywhere.

Post #18   3/12/13 4:08:34AM   

Malaussie

MMA Regular

Malaussie Avatar

Career:571-397
Chips:
Te huna trains in penrith. About a 20 minute drive from where i live and he is one of my favourite fighters. But i think that after feeling te huna's power, texeira will take it to the ground and sub him.

Post #19   3/12/13 7:15:40AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:771-424
Chips:
te huna's ground game and tdd are quite good. I feel these guys are both equally matched. Probably give a slight power advantage and grappling advantage to glover.

I love these fights where both guys are on the rise. Gonna be a fun one !

Post #20   3/12/13 7:47:54AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

wow !! this is fucking awesome !!!

whoever can get their punches off first wins. Both guys are solid everywhere.

Uh Texeira is light years ahead of Te Huna on the ground.

Post #21   3/12/13 8:34:57AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by kopower

Nailed my expression.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #22   3/12/13 8:45:57AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,126-652
Chips:

Posted by Malaussie

Te huna trains in penrith. About a 20 minute drive from where i live and he is one of my favourite fighters. But i think that after feeling te huna's power, texeira will take it to the ground and sub him.

That's how I see it as well. I'm expecting a rd 2 sub from Glover via rnc/arm triangle but with Big Tuna's power anything can happen. Hopefully his tdd is up to snuff.

Post #23   3/12/13 9:45:58AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I think the hype on Glover is getting a little carried away, the guy has gotten clipped by every fighter except Kingsbury. One of them is not a one hit quitter and should be a middle wt, the other was way past his prime. He couldn't sub Page either.

Rampage has only been subbed twice in his career (by Jones and Sakuraba 12 years ago), what makes you think he is easy to submit?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #24   3/12/13 10:05:15AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Chips:
Not saying he is easy to sub just cautioning people on the hype...he isn't a bjj ace (LHW version of Maia). If he was, then I think he'd have been able to land the sub with the positions he had Page in.

Post #25   3/12/13 11:23:32AM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,099-666
Chips:
For me, this fight has more brute entertainment value... 2 heavy hitters. That said, I wanted to see Bader test Texeira's wrestling to see where he really stacks up in the LHW picture.

Post #26   3/12/13 3:05:05PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
No one has had more guard-passes on Rampage than Glover did in that fight, ever. Look over Rampage's resume and see names like Rua, Sakuraba, Randleman, Arona, Lindland, Hendo, you name it. Just because Rampage wasn't submitted isn't saying much, as pointed out above. Position before submission, look to Shields vs. Hendo for the definition of that to lead to victory.

Teixeira got his black belt in BJJ about 6-8 years ago and won the 2009 ADCC Brazil Trials (<99kg division) and went on to defeat wortd-renowned ADCC competitor Dean Lister, among others, at 2009 ADCC Barcelona (<99kg division).

Right after getting his black belt in 06 I believe, he moved over with Hackleman and Liddell among others and has put his TDD in the elite of the UFC LHW division. I'd put his ground transitions and TDD up against anyone in the division, in the UFC, with confidence.

Last edited 3/12/13 3:47PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #27   3/12/13 3:41:32PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Chips:
Better fight

Post #28   3/12/13 4:03:38PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:
Huge fan of both guys, I think Glover has it due to technical boxing and ground game, though the way his lights went out vs Maldonaldo for a second makes me think perhaps a lucky KO by the big Tuna

Post #29   3/12/13 4:54:19PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2