Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Josh Barnett Turns Down UFC Offer

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Wtf is going on today, between this and fighter rap videos I can only think that everyone in the sport woke up and drank a big cup of dumbass!

Post #16   2/7/13 1:30:08AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,119-599
Chips:
I thought his post fight interview after beating a virtual nobody at the last Strikeforce event was ridiculous.
He talked a good game about the other HW's and how he would destroy them all. He clearly got amnesia from the Cormier fight.

Post #17   2/7/13 1:30:53AM   

twoguns365

Learning to Sprawl

twoguns365 Avatar

Career:1,656-1,131
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

fighter rap videos

Huh?

Post #18   2/7/13 11:13:30AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,395-802
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I hope he joins Belator it would be great if both Barnett and Mo had belts in both pro-wrestling and Belator.

Post #19   2/7/13 11:20:23AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by twoguns365

Posted by jae_1833

fighter rap videos

Huh?

Yeah link that!

Anyone else Smell a Randy Couture vs Barney fight in Bellator?

Post #20   2/7/13 12:21:15PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by telnights

I'm shocked the UFC even made an offer. He isn't a bad fighter but he is a liability. He has been popped for PEDs to many times to trust he wont get popped again.

wel he is popular and is a relatively big name. i surely dont have to bring up the diaz bros and weed do i? i guess what im trying to say is that the liability thing just doesnt make much sense to me. he isnt the only one who has been busted more then once.

Diaz brothers? Last I checked only Nick has been busted for weed. Josh got busted 3 times for PEDs and not just any PEDs but anabolic steroids. One of the times was for UFC HW title fight which he got stripped after beating Couture. He then got busted again just 10 days out before fighting Fedor and caused the cancellation of Affliction event and is thought to be one of the causes for Afflictions MMA demise. So yes I would call him a liability.

Last edited 2/7/13 2:30PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   2/7/13 2:29:24PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,381-784
Chips:

Posted by postman

that would smell oh so good

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #22   2/7/13 2:55:22PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:983-570
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I wouldn't care if the UFC wasn't in such a need for quality HWs.

with Overeem losing, the top tier is very muddled now.

Post #23   2/7/13 2:57:08PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
if it is the wrestling thing, then that could open the floodgates for other fighters to participate in their desired competitions

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #24   2/7/13 11:54:05PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by twoguns365

Posted by jae_1833

fighter rap videos

Huh?

Yeah link that!

already been linked

Post #25   2/8/13 11:09:42PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by george112

Posted by telnights

I'm shocked the UFC even made an offer. He isn't a bad fighter but he is a liability. He has been popped for PEDs to many times to trust he wont get popped again.

wel he is popular and is a relatively big name. i surely dont have to bring up the diaz bros and weed do i? i guess what im trying to say is that the liability thing just doesnt make much sense to me. he isnt the only one who has been busted more then once.

Diaz brothers? Last I checked only Nick has been busted for weed. Josh got busted 3 times for PEDs and not just any PEDs but anabolic steroids. One of the times was for UFC HW title fight which he got stripped after beating Couture. He then got busted again just 10 days out before fighting Fedor and caused the cancellation of Affliction event and is thought to be one of the causes for Afflictions MMA demise. So yes I would call him a liability.

A PED is a PED. Like I said he isnt the only one that has been busted more then once. Seems like people like yourself are just giving him a hard time because he is trying to negotiate with the UFC. And im sure dana doesnt see him as much a liability as he sees him a big dollar sign. He will get cut easy as that. You talk like he would ruin the UFC or something

Last edited 2/9/13 5:41AM server time by George112
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #26   2/9/13 5:40:25AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112
A PED is a PED. Like I said he isnt the only one that has been busted more then once. Seems like people like yourself are just giving him a hard time because he is trying to negotiate with the UFC. And im sure dana doesnt see him as much a liability as he sees him a big dollar sign. He will get cut easy as that. You talk like he would ruin the UFC or something

That's like saying that a drug is a drug. I'm not saying he is the only one that has been busted more than once. But fact is he ruined 2 main events by cheating. That makes him a liability. I'm not knocking him for negotiating, I just said I was shocked UFC even made him an offer. I never implied he would ruin the UFC but there is a good chance he could ruin a main event as he has already done so twice.

Post #27   2/9/13 3:03:12PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by george112

That's like saying that a drug is a drug. I'm not saying he is the only one that has been busted more than once. But fact is he ruined 2 main events by cheating. That makes him a liability. I'm not knocking him for negotiating, I just said I was shocked UFC even made him an offer. I never implied he would ruin the UFC but there is a good chance he could ruin a main event as he has already done so twice.

A drug is a drug. And ANYBODY can ruin a main event for a number of reasons. My stance is purely for the enjoyment of watching another high level heavyweight get in the mix. Im so almost to the point of being burnt out of the same few heavyweights. Thank god for Cormier

Post #28   2/9/13 7:05:08PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by telnights

A drug is a drug. And ANYBODY can ruin a main event for a number of reasons. My stance is purely for the enjoyment of watching another high level heavyweight get in the mix. Im so almost to the point of being burnt out of the same few heavyweights. Thank god for Cormier

So drug is a drug, so when you have a headache you take? Anabolic steroids. My point is Diaz didn't use weed because he thought it would give him advantage. Now don't get me wrong Nick Diaz can be liability as well but don't see him as a cheat. But on the other hand Barnett has been bust 3 times for Anabolic steroids to knowingly gain an advantage over the other fighter.

"ANYBODY" hasn't ruined 2 main events because of cheating, that title is only held by one man and his name is Josh Barnett. You top that off with how much Barnett gets payed I feel he clearly is a over paid liability. He made $250,000 for his last fight in Strikeforce that's 50000 more than the current UFC HW champ. Josh would have still been paid that even if he lost. Since you bring up Daniel Cormier thought I would point out he only got paid 100,000 for beating Barnett while half of that was for winning. Barnett got paid 200,000 for that fight.

You keep seeing the same few HWs because of the simple fact good HWs are rare.

Post #29   2/9/13 10:46:06PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by george112

Posted by telnights

So drug is a drug, so when you have a headache you take? Anabolic steroids. My point is Diaz didn't use weed because he thought it would give him advantage. Now don't get me wrong Nick Diaz can be liability as well but don't see him as a cheat. But on the other hand Barnett has been bust 3 times for Anabolic steroids to knowingly gain an advantage over the other fighter.

"ANYBODY" hasn't ruined 2 main events because of cheating, that title is only held by one man and his name is Josh Barnett. You top that off with how much Barnett gets payed I feel he clearly is a over paid liability. He made $250,000 for his last fight in Strikeforce that's 50000 more than the current UFC HW champ. Josh would have still been paid that even if he lost. Since you bring up Daniel Cormier thought I would point out he only got paid 100,000 for beating Barnett while half of that was for winning. Barnett got paid 200,000 for that fight.

You keep seeing the same few HWs because of the simple fact good HWs are rare.

like I said a drug is a drug. Your analogy really didnt make sense because the context in which you framed the question wasnt properly set up. On the matter of diaz yes your right he probably didnt do it to gain an advantage but does that really make him any better? That is still illegal. Should it be? Maybe not but it still is.

Now about the pay thing. You illustrated my point for me. The big nane heavyweights get paid the big bucks. Simple.Has Cormier been around as long as Barnett? Of course not. Is Barnett a bigger draw then Cormier? Yes I would think so. So you see of course he would be paid more. That stuff happens in the UFC ALL the time.

It wouldnt be hard to put in a contract that if he fails a test he would have to give back a substantial amount of his check. However that stipulation would test just how bad Barnett wants to be in the UFC.

Point is this. Do I agree with him juicing? No I do not at all.
Do I think he is an elite heavyweight that can provide some pretty entertaining fights? Yes I think so. And isnt that what we all really want anyways? I for one do.

Post #30   2/10/13 1:29:16AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3