Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 153 results and analysis - Silva toys with Bonnar, stops him in R1

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Adam_Buru

MMA Regular

Adam_Buru Avatar

Career:1,238-857
Camp: Ninja Jiu Jitsu
Chips:

Posted by george112

I agree with you and don't mind watching the fight.

What I have a problem with is how they tout Anderson as the GOAT when he's beating mid-tier guys just about every other fight he has.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can see this. IMO Anderson has only ever beaten one elite level fighter in his entire career and that was Henderson. I find it hilarious the UFC desperately pushes him as the GOAT and gullible people just accept it as fact.

Post #16   10/14/12 11:04:12AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Adam_Buru

Posted by george112

What I have a problem with is how they tout Anderson as the GOAT when he's beating mid-tier guys just about every other fight he has.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can see this. IMO Anderson has only ever beaten one elite level fighter in his entire career and that was Henderson. I find it hilarious the UFC desperately pushes him as the GOAT and gullible people just accept it as fact.

What about Rich Franklin and Vitor??? Including Forrest he has beaten 4 former title holders.

he has finished everyone in devastating ways (minus maia, leites, & cote)

Yes Bonnar was an easy fight for him but hey it was short notice and they needed something plus he got to fight in his home country. And Anderson made this fight entertaining to watch. Bonnar had never been stopped, jon jones could not stop him and this was when jones fought more aggressive (before he pickied up the Jackson point fighting style). It posed an interest in the fact we got to see in a guy tougher than nails faces best..

anderson should have yelled after his win: "Are you not entertained"

Post #17   10/14/12 1:08:15PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
If you fell for the hype that Bonnar had a chance then thats your fault. What did you want them to do come out and be like yeah we know Bonnar has no chance but some watch Anderson get a nice workout in front of the home country?

Post #18   10/14/12 2:38:31PM   

PhilBrito

Learning to Sprawl

Career:9-5
Chips:
Bonnar: I'm gonna take the fight to Silva. I've got nothing to lose.

*Holds Silva against the fence

Post #19   10/14/12 6:33:53PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
My thoughts....

1) Anderson Silva is clearly the greatest of all time. Anyone who denies that is a hater. I really can't see any way of defending that position and to me there's not even a point in talking about it anymore. It's not even an interesting debate. It's like debating who the winner of UFC 1 was....we all already know. Could other people have beaten Stephan Bonnar? Absolutely yes. Could anyone else have toyed with him the way Anderson did? Could anyone else have let Bonnar punch him? Could anyone else have purposefully put himself against the cage and come back to win? Could anyone else have finished Stephan Bonnar (notoriously tough) AT WILL? No, no, no, and no.

2) I would be very happy if Big Nog retired after that win. Unfortunately, knowing what I do about fighters, I doubt that he will.

3) Erick Silva is a tough SOB. I thought that he was a bit over hyped heading into this fight and I expected Fitch to destroy him. The third round went how I expected the whole fight to go but honestly Erick Silva impressed me. Not many people could grapple with Fitch and do that well. Silva had him in trouble a couple of times and if he doesn't let this loss get to him mentally I think it could actually be a good thing for his career.

4) Demian Maia finally got back to his roots and it paid off. Ever since the Nate Marquardt fight I've been saying that he needs to forget about striking. Forget about being a well rounded mixed martial artist. World class BJJ is what got him to where he is. He needs to go for takedowns and guard pulls with reckless abandon and not even think about throwing strikes on the feet.

5) Rony Jason looked good. I will admit though, I was very disappointed when the ref stood up Sam Sicilia. That was one of the quickest stand-ups I can remember seeing and I think it could potentially have influenced the outcome of the fight.

6) Maddadi got robbed by the Brazilian judges. It was a competitive fight. Marcello was in it the whole time and he definitely didn't get run over. Still, there is no doubt in my mind that the judges picked the wrong guy as the winner. 30-27? Are you f%&king kidding me???

Edit:

7) Almost forgot. Maldonado is inhuman. He is one of the toughest guys (mentally and physically) that I have ever seen. In this case he might have been too tough for his own good and the doctor made the right call IMO.

Last edited 10/14/12 7:08PM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   10/14/12 7:06:00PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Adam_Buru

Posted by george112

if you can't see what anderson did the other night as fucking incredible and you think he is over-rated then i have nothing else to say to you.

Post #21   10/15/12 3:12:10AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm kind of surprised people are still doubting Anderson as the GOAT.

He has won 17 fights in a row and 13 were top 10 fighters at the time of the fight. Out of those 17 only 2 went to a decision and to top it off 12 of those fights were title fights. To discount his win over Forrest is crazy. Forrest was ranked in the top 5 of LHWs and had just lost the title one fight before fighting Anderson. Now don't get me wrong Bonnar wasn't a top 10 but he was far from a can and to discount him is also crazy. Bonnar had never been stopped other than doctor stoppage before fighting Anderson.

What also gets me is for a very long time almost everyone was claiming Fedor Emelianenko as the GOAT and he had a lot less impressive record than Anderson does now. So to say Anderson has only beat one elite level fighter or has beat up nothing but mid level fighters shows very much a lack of understanding of MMA or your just clearly blinded by hate.

Post #22   10/15/12 10:33:38AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I'm kind of surprised people are still doubting Anderson as the GOAT.

He has won 17 fights in a row and 13 were top 10 fighters at the time of the fight. Out of those 17 only 2 went to a decision and to top it off 12 of those fights were title fights. To discount his win over Forrest is crazy. Forrest was ranked in the top 5 of LHWs and had just lost the title one fight before fighting Anderson. Now don't get me wrong Bonnar wasn't a top 10 but he was far from a can and to discount him is also crazy. Bonnar had never been stopped other than doctor stoppage before fighting Anderson.

What also gets me is for a very long time almost everyone was claiming Fedor Emelianenko as the GOAT and he had a lot less impressive record than Anderson does now. So to say Anderson has only beat one elite level fighter or has beat up nothing but mid level fighters shows very much a lack of understanding of MMA or your just clearly blinded by hate.

I just can't agree. All of the guys he faced went on to do nothing. Why? Because the fights that got those guys in the top ten were probably only ONE fight. It's one damn big ass illusion if you ask me

Post #23   10/15/12 12:40:46PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
top 10 in MW wasn't saying much over the last few years as it was widely regarded as the 2nd shallowest division in the UFC (HW took top spot). It has improved over the last year or so with guys like Belcher and Weidman now in the mix, Boetsch and/or Lombard possibly too, but that doesn't effect what the division had to offer 3+ years ago. Not to mention Belfort's MW ranking at the time of the fight was an absolute joke.

Fedor's management is the only reason why people have doubt as he never fought in the UFC. Fedor never turned down a fight or tried to avoid fighting anyone as much as Silva has over the last few years

I'm not going to get into this any more, but I will finish saying that Anderson is the greatest fighter today, and #2 all time. Fedor is still the GOAT

Last edited 10/16/12 10:30AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #24   10/16/12 10:23:37AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

top 10 in MW wasn't saying much over the last few years as it was widely regarded as the 2nd shallowest division in the UFC (HW took top spot). It has improved over the last year or so with guys like Belcher and Weidman now in the mix, Boetsch and/or Lombard possibly too, but that doesn't effect what the division had to offer 3+ years ago. Not to mention Belfort's MW ranking at the time of the fight was an absolute joke.

Fedor's management is the only reason why people have doubt as he never fought in the UFC. Fedor never turned down a fight or tried to avoid fighting anyone as much as Silva has over the last few years

I'm not going to get into this any more, but I will finish saying that Anderson is the greatest fighter today, and #2 all time. Fedor is still the GOAT

Post #25   10/16/12 11:00:19AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2