Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Medical Reasons Prevent Anthony Johnson From Making Weight

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Johnson himself.

"I'm already laughing at what ppl are saying. Yeah it was for medical reason and I did what the UFC Dr Told me to do. Believe it or don't I give a fuck cuz the ppl close to me were freaking out but I'm still alive and something like this has never happen before. Say what you want I'm still gonna do my thang. You try not having feeling in your legs and can't move then and see how you look at life after that."

Sounds similar to what happened to Carwin in his fight against Lesnar.

Last edited 1/13/12 9:33PM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   1/13/12 9:31:59PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well in that case I take back everything I......

“I made weight so all u f***** haterz can eat a mutha f***** dick. Never doubt ME!!! - post weigh-in comment from his last fight.

Ohhhh, nevermind, I forgot he had a worthless personality towards fans and makes himself a criticism magnet.

Post #17   1/13/12 9:44:09PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,275-1,535
Chips:
I would love to know how he ever made 170lbs in the past. How could he get down to 170lbs in the past and now he can't get down to 185lbs? Something smells rotten in Denmark. Also it means nothing that he almost got to weight a few hours before the fight....what matters is how much he weighs at the weigh-ins. You either make the weight or you don't. He didn't.

Post #18   1/13/12 11:08:47PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I don't want to jump to any conclusions and I'm trying my best to not be too explicit for fear of banning but there's usually only one reason a fighter would consume large amounts of fluid leading up to a fight.

Post #19   1/13/12 11:30:44PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

I don't want to jump to any conclusions and I'm trying my best to not be too explicit for fear of banning but there's usually only one reason a fighter would consume large amounts of fluid leading up to a fight.

That's dilutional.

But in all seriousness, I believe that the doctor recommended he hydrate... there's no on-the-spot test to see if your organs are failing so if you say you can't feel your legs, they're gonna be pumping you with multiple IV's and F the weigh-ins as health is paramount. But if that was really all there was to it, and Rumble really was 187.5 a few hours before weigh-ins.... I guess I'd just say Rumble and his management's story don't line up with Dana's anger level. If he was 1.5 pounds away a few hours before weigh-ins and a doctor (employed by the UFC or the AC in Brazil) called for an IV and to hydrate for medical reasons due to loss of feeling in his legs, Dana wouldn't be this angry, plain and simple.

Post #20   1/14/12 12:00:50AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He's had to many problems making weight in the past for me to buy this excuse.

Post #21   1/14/12 12:13:24AM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by DeadHead988

That's dilutional.

But in all seriousness, I believe that the doctor recommended he hydrate... there's no on-the-spot test to see if your organs are failing so if you say you can't feel your legs, they're gonna be pumping you with multiple IV's and F the weigh-ins as health is paramount. But if that was really all there was to it, and Rumble really was 187.5 a few hours before weigh-ins.... I guess I'd just say Rumble and his management's story don't line up with Dana's anger level. If he was 1.5 pounds away a few hours before weigh-ins and a doctor (employed by the UFC or the AC in Brazil) called for an IV and to hydrate for medical reasons due to loss of feeling in his legs, Dana wouldn't be this angry, plain and simple.

According to Kevin Iole from Yahoo Sports the medical doctor who observed the weight cut and suggested immediate action was Jeff Davidson who works for the UFC and also as an emergency room doctor in Vegas.

Post #22   1/14/12 12:13:51AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Kpro

Posted by DeadHead988

That's dilutional.

According to Kevin Iole from Yahoo Sports the medical doctor who observed the weight cut and suggested immediate action was Jeff Davidson who works for the UFC and also as an emergency room doctor in Vegas.

That's good I feel better about it then. Just goes to show how stupid and dangerous excessive weight cutting is.

Post #23   1/14/12 12:18:44AM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Kpro

Posted by DeadHead988

That's dilutional.

That's good I feel better about it then. Just goes to show how stupid and dangerous excessive weight cutting is.

I'm afraid for his safety, though. He shouldn't be fighting after this situation, especially against a dangerous guy like Belfort.

Post #24   1/14/12 12:25:19AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Chips:
Yeah makes me wonder why you're still picking him lol

Post #25   1/14/12 12:45:21AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm afraid for his safety, though. He shouldn't be fighting after this situation, especially against a dangerous guy like Belfort.

The UFC 142 weigh-ins were 32.5 hours before the fight will start. More than a US PPV because of the fights being in Brazil and the time they blocked with FUEL.

Per his and his manager's words he was at 187.5 when he began rehydrating, so he will have re-hydrated up to 17 pounds from that point until he re-weighs tomorrow. Most fighters don't even gain 17 pounds from weigh-ins to fight time.

He also has 12.5 hours between his re-weigh and his fight to hydrate, as the re-weigh is tentatively planned for 2pm and his fight will start at approximately 2:30am.

I'm no doctor, but it doesn't sound like his physical safety is in any jeopardy at this point aside from maybe his state of mind being shook from 'losing feeling in his legs' per his words. I'd be surprised if he isn't at least 25-30 pounds over 185 at fight time.

If I was Vitor I would've wanted the re-weigh a whole lot closer than 12.5 hours from fight time.

Post #26   1/14/12 1:05:34AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
still not an excuse IMO. he should have done his homework prior to the cut. ive had team mates in really bad shape in the sauna, barely make weight while looking like death and barely conscious, then rise to the occasion and win a title. im still not buying this excuse.

Post #27   1/14/12 1:28:41AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Posted by kopower

So, is the excuse for his body shutting down, the travel? How can he cut down to 170, but this time he can't make 185??

i dont recall him making the cut to 170 with much success.

seriously though you guys are all taking a very glass is half empty perspective on this whole thing. He didnt miss middleweight by 12 pounds he almost MADE light heavy weight! thats the closest hes been to making weight in three fights.

Post #28   1/14/12 2:17:29AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
After seeing his recent comments regarding fans and how people dont know how close to death he was, i have come to the conclusion this guy is an idiot. If you had a proper weight cut you wouldnt be cutting massive amounts of weight the day before the fight and putting yourself "that close to death"

Join Nelson at heavy weight so you can eat what you want and not worry about your weight!

Post #29   1/14/12 10:05:52AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
if I was dana i would force him to fight at 205, it is clear he STILL doesn't understand how to do a healthy weight cut,

to me this is unacceptable, this is his 11 fight in the UFC, he should not be having these problems

Post #30   1/14/12 11:43:44AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3